Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Navi Discussion

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Amd needs to fix it's drivers a lot. of youtube
    Computer builders will not build with amd because of problems. With some cards drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    What's the source for the delay rumours?

Just rumors I'm sure partially based on AMD revealing nothing so far. Also based on TSMC's 7nm process being maxed out because of Ryzen and console development and some other contracts.

Until they reach Sony and Microsofts console quotas they might not be able to mass produce RDNA2.

That's why Nvidia had to go with Samsungs 8nm with the super variants maybe using TSMC's 7nm.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The clever move from AMD would be to launch a single card this side of Thanksgiving. A 16Gb DDR6 RX6900 card that performs equal or slightly better than the RTX 3070 for $450

Nvidia's decision to launch both the 3080 and 3090 before the 3070 only goes to highlight that these two cards need all the exposure they can get if they are to maximise their sales. Based on the current generation sales, the top end RTX cards are likely to max out at somewhere around 10% of sales - currently 2080to ownership is <1% of cards in use by gamers.

The vast majority of card sales will be at the 3070 level. Nvidia are aware of this and that's why they are going out of their way to compare the performance of the 3070 with the 2080ti. The launch dates of the 3080 and 3090 have been chosen to maximise impulse sales of the more expensive cards

A cheaper 16Gb DDR6 RX 6900 at RTX 3070 performance levels would do more to maximise AMD market share than trying to compete at the higher end. It also gives AMD time to react to possible RTX 3060, 3070ti or 3080ti cards in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

https://twitter.com/_h0x0d_/status/1303252607759130624?s=19

New Xbox Series S is 299 and promises 1440p 120fps.

My guess is that Navi 23 will be slightly more powerful & 299-350.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

I would be happy enough with perf between 3070\80 ... For less money, more power efficient and 16 gigs of ram .... Bring it on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,023 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/_h0x0d_/status/1303252607759130624?s=19

New Xbox Series S is 299 and promises 1440p 120fps.

1440P at up to 120FPS. Important difference there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

AMD's advancemnts with PS5 and Xbox mmight have aided in their goal for a more competive gpu

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The consoles can be sold at a loss, so I'm not as hopeful on pricing of the GPUs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Hyzepher wrote: »
    The clever move from AMD would be to launch a single card this side of Thanksgiving. A 16Gb DDR6 RX6900 card that performs equal or slightly better than the RTX 3070 for $450

Nvidia's decision to launch both the 3080 and 3090 before the 3070 only goes to highlight that these two cards need all the exposure they can get if they are to maximise their sales. Based on the current generation sales, the top end RTX cards are likely to max out at somewhere around 10% of sales - currently 2080to ownership is <1% of cards in use by gamers.

The vast majority of card sales will be at the 3070 level. Nvidia are aware of this and that's why they are going out of their way to compare the performance of the 3070 with the 2080ti. The launch dates of the 3080 and 3090 have been chosen to maximise impulse sales of the more expensive cards

A cheaper 16Gb DDR6 RX 6900 at RTX 3070 performance levels would do more to maximise AMD market share than trying to compete at the higher end. It also gives AMD time to react to possible RTX 3060, 3070ti or 3080ti cards in the future.

If they can split the 3070 and the 3080 with a card that costs $550-600 they'll claw back sales. But with reports that AIB cards won't be available until next year, and next gen console demand potentially slowing down any chance of them getting mainstream inventory this side of Christmas even if they were to release is going to leave them on the back foot big time.

I really can't understand why AMD haven't made any sort of solid leak, or even an announcement for an announcement date when it's getting so close to the actual release date of the Nvidia cards. Even if there's low stock for the 3080, with reviews/benchmarks and even a low amount of cards being out in the wild, it's going to be a real uphill battle to try convince people to go with them unless they've something spectacular in terms of performance per cost.

• Advertisement

The consoles can be sold at a loss, so I'm not as hopeful on pricing of the GPUs.

Yes but that loss is including a 512Gb NVMe drive, 16Gb GDDR6 & 8-core Zen 2.
    If the rumours are correct, Navi 23 could have half the VRAM.
    So I can see AMD having an entry-level GPU around the same price (or lower) as Series S.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

The consoles also get a pared down minimal version of the GPU dye that's incorporated into their board rather than a full consumer product on its own board with fans and rgb and a faceplate etc.

No marketing expense either.

Can't really compare the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

If they can split the 3070 and the 3080 with a card that costs $550-600 they'll claw back sales. But with reports that AIB cards won't be available until next year, and next gen console demand potentially slowing down any chance of them getting mainstream inventory this side of Christmas even if they were to release is going to leave them on the back foot big time.

I really can't understand why AMD haven't made any sort of solid leak, or even an announcement for an announcement date when it's getting so close to the actual release date of the Nvidia cards. Even if there's low stock for the 3080, with reviews/benchmarks and even a low amount of cards being out in the wild, it's going to be a real uphill battle to try convince people to go with them unless they've something spectacular in terms of performance per cost.

It doesn't look good. The usual story with AMD graphics division. What they had was probably exciting if they had got it to market sooner. By the time they release it won't be. You just know their own coolers are gonna be crap as well so you have to wait even longer for AIB cards.

I think they overextended with contracts, new Ryzen lineup + consoles and TSMC's 7nm foundries are just maxed out with no room for RDNA2 until the pre Christmas console release order is met.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

This time we may actually get decent reference coolers based on the pic below. The rumor is they are concentrating on dual and tri fan designs. If they release with a good cooler it doesn't even matter if AIB's don't release this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

EoinHef wrote: »
    This time we may actually get decent reference coolers based on the pic below. The rumor is they are concentrating on dual and tri fan designs. If they release with a good cooler it doesn't even matter if AIB's don't release this year.

Yeah, back in march Scott Herkelman went so far as to say there'd be no blower cards at all in their next gen of gaming cards.

Speaking of stuff AMD employees say on social media...........

https://twitter.com/AzorFrank/status/1303492877989879810?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

I'm guessing they'll schedule their launch announcement, hardly just going to announce anything more without much notice.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Is the Sun coming out tomorrow a metaphor for how hot Big Navi will run at?

Well, it is named after a star, so.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Azza wrote: »
    Is the Sun coming out tomorrow a metaphor for how hot Big Navi will run at?

Did they have to implement a new power connector for the power it will pull?

• Advertisement

Very pretty, I like it.

3X6FItl.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Very pretty, I like it.

3X6FItl.png

Let's be honest, they all look much of a muchness - couple fans, basic 1970's era radiator style casing ... best hidden away - don't think I've ever found a Gpu 'good looking.

After some of the terrible coolers they've had in the past, I just want this to be effective and (preferably) quiet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Mr Crispy wrote: »

These youtubers need to learn how to get to the point and keeping things concise. He keeps saying the same thing multiple different ways. It shouldn't take 5 minutes to say AMD's reference coolers are rubbish but this one looks better. There is decent information in there but he could easily cut out the crap and the video would be half the length.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I've a reference 5700 XT and find it good. I've a custom fan curve with 75% max and with my headphones on I can't hear it. If I was playing a demanding game and took the headphones off you can hear the fans as they would be at 75% but as I said headphones on while gaming no noise and completely silent when just browsing.

Interesting that he suspects AMD are using HBM (although he could be reading far too much into that model).

These youtubers need to learn how to get to the point and keeping things concise. He keeps saying the same thing multiple different ways. It shouldn't take 5 minutes to say AMD's reference coolers are rubbish but this one looks better. There is decent information in there but he could easily cut out the crap and the video would be half the length.

That's just buildzoid, he generally does sleep-deprived rambles & what you're hearing is take 4.
    Watch at 1.25x

Yeah, and to be fair he had the thing up pretty quick, so probably take 1 in this case.

I see JayzTwoCents giving AMD a hard time for marketing in such a kiddies' game (paraphrasing here). He really irritates me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I find most of the Tech reviewers really irritating, from the so laid back types they sound really disinterested to the obnoxious shouty types who tend to have a bunch of dopes running about taking orders from them [that Linus guy for one] - but, we have to get the info someplace and here and there between them all we do learn something [eventually] as they will always get the gear first. They are obviously going to milk the absoloute crap out of these new cards and convince us all that we 'need' to upgrade asap. Their channels wouldn't be doing much if there wasn't new tech to push/review/moan about

Advertisement