Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM race series

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

blackwhite wrote: »
    Usually parking inside the Ashtown Gate, but it's limited enough capacity

Thanks. Will probably be approaching from Islandbridge gate side - will see if anything available on North Road that doesn't disrupt running route passing through there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,933 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Thanks. Will probably be approaching from Islandbridge gate side - will see if anything available on North Road that doesn't disrupt running route passing through there!

From what I remember of the 10 mile there weren't any cars parked along North Road.

Can't remember if any of the grass areas near the Hole in the Wall pedestrian gate were opened as parking though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

From what I remember of the 10 mile there weren't any cars parked along North Road.

Can't remember if any of the grass areas near the Hole in the Wall pedestrian gate were opened as parking though.....

They used the grass along the North road and thankfully didn't park on the route.

Hey folks. Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask but do you know where I can buy a ticket for the upcoming half on the 21st?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Hey folks. Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask but do you know where I can buy a ticket for the upcoming half on the 21st?

Sold out and number transfers are not allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

What is the time that the half has to be finished in? Standard 3 hours would it be? I have a niggling injury so might be forced to walk parts :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

mutley18 wrote: »
    What is the time that the half has to be finished in? Standard 3 hours would it be? I have a niggling injury so might be forced to walk parts :(

3 hrs 15 mins according to their website.
    http://kbcdublinmarathon.ie/race/dublin-half-marathon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,933 ✭✭✭blackwhite

N3 a disaster this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

N3 a disaster this morning

Great race though! Well done to all concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They really need to monitor the waves, team Carrie seem to start up front even though they all have different standards. And several were walking by 1 mile
    And the walterstown crowd we’re running 10 a breast charting at one stage.

I’ve no problem with peoples pace it’s just when they lack consideration is the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

ted1 wrote: »
    They really need to monitor the waves.

How would ‘they’ do this? People are already asked to choose an appropriate start position. There are signs. And the announcer mentions this, over and over. There’s only so much that can be done. This is not an organiser problem, it’s a runner problem (at every race, pretty much). I stopped getting upset about it years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Murph_D wrote: »
    How would ‘they’ do this? People are already asked to choose an appropriate start position. There are signs. And the announcer mentions this, over and over. There’s only so much that can be done. This is not an organiser problem, it’s a runner problem (at every race, pretty much). I stopped getting upset about it years ago.

Set up speed van type cameras.
    Fine anyone walking / slowing down dramatically versus those around them in the first two miles. :)

It’s generally the same crowd. Send me hem a message asking them to be considerate or block their entries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,061 ✭✭✭✭event

It’s generally the same crowd. Send me hem a message asking them to be considerate or block their entries.

Presumably this would apply to everyone? Monitor, using the chip, when people cross the startline and when they finish and then block their entries the next year if people are getting too high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Great race, great weather and the medal is a beaut :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Rashers Big Log

Does anyone know if there are any plans in place to either move the date of DCM or perhaps postpone the start if Ireland make the semifinal of the rugby? Can’t imagine many would want to miss a potential World Cup semifinal surely DCM could accommodate?

I doubt it. There’s to many Road closures

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭DarHan84

Could they have pacer cars with big screens showing the game if it came to it?

That or maybe a "timeout" where the slower runners/walkers essentially pause their marathon (with race organiser sign off) and continue from same spot after the match is over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

event wrote: »
    Presumably this would apply to everyone? Monitor, using the chip, when people cross the startline and when they finish and then block their entries the next year if people are getting too high.

The problem is that people can improve or decline over the course of a year. There are going to be over-optimistic (yes, even delusional) types in Wave 1, using it to push themselves along and improve from race to race. Equally there can be good runners carrying injuries who take a risk with Wave 1. Too many factors in play really.

I lumbered around in 1:52:xx from a Wave 2 start. I overtook hundreds of people, but didn't have to do too much weaving to get past the slow/blocker groups as they'd gone out in Wave 1. I've had previous experiences of 1:43:xx in which I had to run 13.3++ to get around the problem groups, and needing to run on the grass etc as part of that. Overall, Wave 2 would be a more pleasant running experience for many 01:40 to 01:45 athletes.

The only problem with better athletes being pushed back into Wave 2 is that any team score would be made from the gun time rather than the chip, but the Half Marathon isn't a high stakes event for clubs.

Yeah I was joking. Banning people cos they went in the wrong wave.

Preposterous

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if there are any plans in place to either move the date of DCM or perhaps postpone the start if Ireland make the semifinal of the rugby? Can’t imagine many would want to miss a potential World Cup semifinal surely DCM could accommodate?
    DarHan84 wrote: »

Could they have pacer cars with big screens showing the game if it came to it?

That or maybe a "timeout" where the slower runners/walkers essentially pause their marathon (with race organiser sign off) and continue from same spot after the match is over?

Ah lads

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭DarHan84

They really need to monitor the waves, team Carrie seem to start up front even though they all have different standards. And several were walking by 1 mile
    And the walterstown crowd we’re running 10 a breast charting at one stage.

I’ve no problem with peoples pace it’s just when they lack consideration is the issue.

100% Agree.

I made the mistake of starting in the middle of wave 2 when aiming for a 1;45, Going down by Ordinance and upper glen road on lap one was like being in the crowd leaving a concert. Not even a mile in and people were walking and chatting.

No issue with people who are trying to run it, but if you can't jog 1 downhill mile to start a race, then surely you should have the self awareness to move to the back.

I spent more time on the grass than some of the deer yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Why not ask people 6 weeks before race to provide proof they are capable of running time they put down when entering. As by then people will either have run some type of race or be in training

Then allocate people in to specific waves, rather than just saying go where you think you be finishing

If they can't provide proof of time, put them in wave at the back

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

DarHan84 wrote: »
    100% Agree.

I made the mistake of starting in the middle of wave 2 when aiming for a 1;45, Going down by Ordinance and upper glen road on lap one was like being in the crowd leaving a concert. Not even a mile in and people were walking and chatting.

No issue with people who are trying to run it, but if you can't jog 1 downhill mile to start a race, then surely you should have the self awareness to move to the back.

I spent more time on the grass than some of the deer yesterday.

I think they start ahead of the time they should be in, because of the cut off time. It allows them extra time to finish the race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You're never going to completely stop people from pushing up to the front, some people will always be totally clueless.

I do think race organisers should be more visible about making the point though, for example more signage and more announcements that if you are slower than everybody around you then you are basically a roadblock.

Do you ever see a sign saying something like "do not go past this point if you cannot finish the race in less than X time"? How hard would it be to have them lining the race start and informing the casual runner that this is actually an issue?

And in terms of announcements, this is another reason I don't like your man droning on for hours before the race starts. Did he ever say for people not to start ahead of their capability? Who knows, because people don't listen to everything he says, they tune it out after a while and so it is not a good format for getting information out to the crowd.

Banning people or trying to enforce the concept is probably a losing battle for organisers, there will always be people who want to start further forward, but I do think they could be a bit more pro-active about informing and educating those people who may not have even realised it was an issue at all.

colin32 wrote: »

Why not ask people 6 weeks before race to provide proof they are capable of running time they put down when entering. As by then people will either have run some type of race or be in training

Then allocate people in to specific waves, rather than just saying go where you think you be finishing

If they can't provide proof of time, put them in wave at the back

How do you provide proof?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭Trampas

i believe they’re going to move the rugby match because of the marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Narrower start corral. Half the width of the main road. That enables the field to spread out much quicker if the selfish cnuts are going to go into wave 1. Too many people walking after 2km yesterday.

If you can't do a half in under two hours then start at the 2 hr over or behind.

Two of my friends got tripped up as a result yesterday and several others at the finish had cut knees and elbows.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

event wrote: »
    How do you provide proof?

Fence the start the same way as the finish, have small opening for entry and show your watch or phone data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Start the petition now and if they don't maybe it will be a silent marathon just in case someone is taking a penalty.

Advertisement