Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyspaxia -your experiences

Options
  • 05-07-2019 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Dyspraxia apparently effects approx 10% of the population and yet I can find so little about it on forums or chat spaces. I have read the journals and guidelines but I really just want to chat to other parents about their experiences, good, bad or indifferent as I find those chats invaluable. For background, my 6yr old was diagnosed before starting primary school - a little earlier than usual but the OT felt it was the right call to get her the necessary supports in school. Turns out she was right and there's no real doubt now that she is dyspraxic. We work away at home and she got through her first year with no huge events but she was exhausted. All the time. I'm now just trying to look ahead to the next few years and see what's coming. If anyone would like to share......

thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭tracey1098

Hi Silverbirch3.
    Have you tried contacting Dsypraxia Ireland to find out if there is a support group in your area? Good place to start. My DS is 13 and was diagnosed with Dsypraxia when he was 8. It’s an ongoing journey, always thinking ahead and fighting with the school to get what we are entitled to not to mention HSE for OT etc. waiting lists are endless. I’ve always said there is nothing he can’t do, he just has to learn a different way. And yes our kids will be more exhausted than their peers as they are working harder to keep up!
    Best of luck. Feel free to PM me with any questions

• Registered Users Posts: 23,529 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’ve verbal dyspraxia.
    The HSE at the time we’re good with speech and language classes.

There’s a dyspraxia Ireland group on Facebook and here: https://www.dyspraxia.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Pistachio

Hi Silverbirch3, check if there is a support group near you, they are invaluable as you can chat with other parents. Yes, people with Dyspraxia will be much more tired at the end of a regular school day than their peers.

Advertisement