Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling bike tips

Options
  • 05-07-2019 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hey guys, I have a potential buyer coming to look at my bike tomorrow and it's my first bike I'm selling so not 100% sure on how it goes, especially in regards to a test ride I presume I ask to have the cash first before a test ride is even considered?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Cash in hand before test ride, if they drop it they bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I think we've all been there when it comes to selling a bike, that concern about a test ride. If you're not comfortable with you don't have to. Just make sure you have the cash in your hand if you're handing over the keys. The test ride should only be to make sure all is ok with the gears, brakes etc, it's not their chance to try out a (insert bike model here).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Cash in hand before test ride, if they drop it they bought it.

Not so sure about this..legally...If you let them ride it and they drop and damage it, they might only be responsible for the damage caused...its still your bike until the form is signed, and they might even sue you if they get hurt...any legal experts out there..???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

I don't think you could really enforce the 'you drop it you bought it'. Irish courts pay a lot of attention to property and ownership.

If they drop the bike, you could claim any damage from their insurance, providing they have open driving of course. Legally they would be only liable for the damage caused, not to purchase the now damaged bike.

Unless, of course, you could successfully argue that you had entered into a verbal contract that the purchaser would buy the bike if he dropped it, and he agreed to said contract by handing over €xxxx to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭honda boi

I wonder does any body really have insurance when viewing/test riding a bike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

My 2 policies have driving other motorcycle extension (which is a different thing than open drive), my cousins and his father also have the same and they are based in the North- this covers me/them to drive other motorcycles on a third party ONLY basis. If im test riding a bike im going to buy and I drop it, I cannot claim the damages off my insurance and likewise the bike owner can't claim the damages off my Insurance.

He could claim it off his own Insurance if it was Insured on a comprehensive basis.

I have not seen a bike policy yet with "Open Drive", they have all had driving other motorcycle extension instead.

Have any of you got "Open drive" on your bike policy? it doesn't seem to be a thing for bike Insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭E46Dream

So they bought the bike this morning took for test ride will cash stayed with the other person that came but all was good and they ended up purchasing! Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

infacteh wrote: »
    I don't think you could really enforce the 'you drop it you bought it'. Irish courts pay a lot of attention to property and ownership.

If they drop the bike, you could claim any damage from their insurance, providing they have open driving of course. Legally they would be only liable for the damage caused, not to purchase the now damaged bike.

Unless, of course, you could successfully argue that you had entered into a verbal contract that the purchaser would buy the bike if he dropped it, and he agreed to said contract by handing over €xxxx to you.

Not sure this would even work out...because you let them ride it....maybe i'm watching Judge Judy too much...:o

Well done on the sale BTW...;)

Advertisement