Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment side wall also wall of entrance laneway to another property

Options
  • 05-07-2019 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭

If the wall of the last apartment in a block is also the side of the entrance to another property, who "owns" the side wall? See (poor!) drawing attached -heavy black line is one I mean

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

If the wall of the last apartment in a block is also the side of the entrance to another property, who "owns" the side wall? See (poor!) drawing attached -heavy black line is one I mean

Depends on the boundary.
    Is it air space on the other side of the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭mvt

Would imagine if it's an apt block that the management company own the exterior spaces. Should be clear in the lease signed when purchasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,521 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No individual owns an apartment. General you own the air space within and the structure belongs to the management company.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Thanks all, that makes sense. What is the position then on the company next door having signs, floodlights etc on the side wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,521 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Thanks all, that makes sense. What is the position then on the company next door having signs, floodlights etc on the side wall?

Raise it with the management company, they may have giving permission and even received money

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Raise it with the management company, they may have giving permission and even received money

Thanks. It's actually that a relation is house/apartment hunting and would need a ham radio antenna which I dont think apartment blocks allow, and i had been wondering could it go on the side wall. .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Thanks. It's actually that a relation is house/apartment hunting and would need a ham radio antenna which I dont think apartment blocks allow, and i had been wondering could it go on the side wall. .

Probably not. Also, I've never heard of any management company engaging with potential buyers. They tend to only deal with you once you've already bought in.

If you fancy chancing it, your best bet it to look for precidence. If someone else in the block/development has been allowed something similar. If you go for a look around and there are no random antennas around the place, then I wouldnt fancy your chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

At purchase they will sign legal documents agreeing to abide by the development rules. I cannot imagine that any management company would allow something to be erected on common property to the benefit of a single unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Not a hope. At the end of the day, why should they facilitate something like this?
    Who will install it?
    Is OP competent to install it?
    Who is responsible if someone inadvertently gets injured during installation and maintenance of the antenna?
    What happens if a storm blows it down on someone's car or head?
    Who is going to pay the cost to remove it and repair any holes in walls when the op skips off in a few years and leaves a big stupid dirty looking antenna hanging off the wall.

It is just something waiting to cause hassle and it is totally unnecessary. If you don't own the apartment then they will hardly even pick up the phone to you.

Thanks all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement