Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greek islands

• 06-07-2019 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

I'm looking to travel to a Greek island in September. I'm looking for as good a deal as I can get. I've never been to Greece before. I want to book for about 4 nights but all the deals I look up are for a week. Also considering I'm going for only a short time, I would prefer a short flight time rather than an island 7 hours flight away. Does anyone have any suggestions of how I should go about searching? Any sites in particular?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

laurey wrote: »
    I'm looking to travel to a Greek island in September. I'm looking for as good a deal as I can get. I've never been to Greece before. I want to book for about 4 nights but all the deals I look up are for a week. Also considering I'm going for only a short time, I would prefer a short flight time rather than an island 7 hours flight away. Does anyone have any suggestions of how I should go about searching? Any sites in particular?

Are you planning on island hopping ?
    Cheapest way: https://www.interrail.eu/en/interrail-passes/one-country-pass/greece-passes/greek-islands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭pjproby

Corfu and Zante are the closest islands and you can fly direct from Dublin. You could also fly to Athens and go to one of the islands nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭laurey

Thanks for the replies so far. I should add that I'm going away with my other half so looking for a romantic island. Would like it to have nice restaurants and a beach and quiet beautiful spots. Would like beautiful scenery and little places to swim that aren't overcrowded. Also not looking for a party island with wild parties and not into night clubs... is corfu a quiet island or a party island?
    thanks a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

Naxos... fly to Athens and fly to Naxos or take the boat (6hours)

Quiet, warm in September. Day trips to Mykonos, Santorini, Paros.

Avoid the harbor, plenty of good places to eat away from the tourist trap. Accommodation is cheap and decent quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

If you are going for 4 nights only your probably going to end up going to Crete if you want to fly direct from Dublin. Most of the limited islands available from Dublin are one a week flights. Corfu maybe another option actually think Aer lingus go twice a week in the summer. Naxos is superb so is Zante they all are in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 guaps

Hydra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

4 days not enough for what you want OP, any chance of pushing it out to a week to make it more worthwhile going to these lovely islands?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

guaps wrote: »
    Hydra

That's where I'd go too but not for a four night trip.
    My advice to the OP is to go somewhere with a direct flight for this four night trip and put Hydra on your bucket list. Tie it in with a nice relaxed island hop when you have the time to enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Greece is too far away for 4 days.

France, Croatia, Italy, Spain, Portugal.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Greece is too far away for 4 days.

France, Croatia, Italy, Spain, Portugal.

It’s a four our flight! Sheezzz...

The islands may be longer but Greece is not that far for a weekend/4 days.

Honestly, a break in Greece is great, the islands need a week. There are great areas not on the islands though that have great beaches and nightlife, the food sucks (as does the graffiti) but greece is not too far.

Take in a good demonstration too, nothing like the feeling of tear gas in syntagma square ..:)

• Advertisement

NSAman wrote: »
    It’s a four our flight! Sheezzz...

The islands may be longer but Greece is not that far for a weekend/4 days.

Honestly, a break in Greece is great, the islands need a week. There are great areas not on the islands though that have great beaches and nightlife, the food sucks (as does the graffiti) but greece is not too far.

Take in a good demonstration too, nothing like the feeling of tear gas in syntagma square ..:)

there are limited flight options from Ireland to/from Greece which makes it all more awkward compared to better-served places where you can fly into one place and back from another instead of having to look back which is more time-consuming.

Antiparos is a lovely place if you get to make it out there.

glasso wrote: »
    there are limited flight options from Ireland to/from Greece which makes it all more awkward compared to better-served places where you can fly into one place and back from another instead of having to look back which is more time-consuming.

Antiparos is a lovely place if you get to make it out there.

Disagree, the direct flight being 4-4.5 hours but through Paris, Frankfurt, Munich (god forbid Heathrow) there are plenty of options. Aer Lingus (is it three flights?) Aegean ?? Direct ... go to Greece twice a year now, used to be four of five times a year..a little bit longer for me now living in the US... still a place to get sun do some work and meet friends,,,,, haven’t been to the islands in two years but this year will spend a few days on Naxos, Paros, not anti-Paros.

Thanks a lot to everyone for your tips and advice. I was researching last night and found flights to chania.. is this ye Greek islands? Sorry I've no idea. Would I get a nice beach in chania and nice food? Thanks
    Also I saw affordable flights in late October. Would I still have a good chance of nice weather to swim in sea?

NSAman wrote: »
    Disagree, the direct flight being 4-4.5 hours but through Paris, Frankfurt, Munich (god forbid Heathrow) there are plenty of options. Aer Lingus (is it three flights?) Aegean ?? Direct ... go to Greece twice a year now, used to be four of five times a year..a little bit longer for me now living in the US... still a place to get sun do some work and meet friends,,,,, haven’t been to the islands in two years but this year will spend a few days on Naxos, Paros, not anti-Paros.

that's why it's cool :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭corkboy38

Thanks a lot to everyone for your tips and advice. I was researching last night and found flights to chania.. is this ye Greek islands? Sorry I've no idea. Would I get a nice beach in chania and nice food? Thanks
    Also I saw affordable flights in late October. Would I still have a good chance of nice weather to swim in sea?
    Chania is on the island of crete. Plenty of beautiful resorts on that island, herssonissis, stalis, sissi etc

corkboy38 wrote: »
    Chania is on the island of crete. Plenty of beautiful resorts on that island, herssonissis, stalis, sissi etc

Thanks cork boy. Any advice of a good resort for a couple without too many parties etc? Close to beach etc

Thanks cork boy. Any advice of a good resort for a couple without too many parties etc? Close to beach etc
    If it's a relaxing holiday with good weather and nice scenery then Sissi is up there. There are no nightclubs or strip etc so the average age is 30+

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Fly to Athens and get a taxi or a bus to Piraheus. You can get a boat from there to any of the islands. In fact you can a boat from Piraheus to pretty much anywhere.:)

The partying will have calmed down slightly by September. It is mostly Late July, August ( totally nuts and great craic if your into it) and a bit of the start of September.

Up to you but don't ignore the mainland either. Athens is really cool city with loads to do. Also Thessalonika and surrounds is divine.

Do eat their local foods, Really good for you.

Enjoy yourself.

corkboy38 wrote: »
    If it's a relaxing holiday with good weather and nice scenery then Sissi is up there. There are no nightclubs or strip etc so the average age is 30+

Sissi does look amazing! THe only thing is that it's a 2.5 hour drive from the airport. I Kind of need somewhere close enough to chania airport that I can get a cheap taxi or shuttle.. Does anyone know of any areas in chania town that wud be close to nice scenery/beaches etc. I wanna experience the beauty of the Greek island

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

try www.cassidytravel.ie.
    you can pick any number of days.
    in the to section, try Crete, then Heraklion region, then Gouves. its aout 30-40 mins from airport, its nice and relaxed with a good bus service around the island.

Spinalonga is a nice day trip, as are the old ruins in Heraklion.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

Sissi does look amazing! THe only thing is that it's a 2.5 hour drive from the airport. I Kind of need somewhere close enough to chania airport that I can get a cheap taxi or shuttle.. Does anyone know of any areas in chania town that wud be close to nice scenery/beaches etc. I wanna experience the beauty of the Greek island
    Heraklion airport is the main airport in Crete and is 30 minute drive away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

I’ve said it already but do not go to Greece for 4 days, it’s too short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

If you want a quiet island, fly to athens and take a ferry to Naxos.
    You can't do the islands by flying, it's like drinking Guinness with blackcurrant.
    And give yourself at least 6 days as others have already said.

Advertisement