Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Intertia sensor testing

• 06-07-2019 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I am getting zone 3 open fault... and it looks like number of sensors are in series. Not sure if there is a way to test the inertia (vibration) sensors to find out which one is faulty. Also, at the control panel I see only black and red cables are connected. Tamper circuit wires are left unconnected. Greatly appreciate your guidance. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You need to get a multimeter and test the resistance. That's the best option to find faulty inertias.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 rking

Thanks for the reply. I figured out the resistance check for contact sensors. Not sure which terminal to check and what to expect for the vibration (shock/inertia sensor). Please find attached photo from the link.

there are 4 wires going in black/red/yellow and blue. Thanks again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Take the pair out that's feeding the zone and connect to the meter set for continuity.
    Depending on what's on the zone will determine the level of resistance in ohms. On a good zone with a few devices it should be 10 or less.
    Tapping each sensor will show the resistance fluctuate but it should return. Any changes to the reading would indicate a faulty device.

Thanks a million for the information.

I found one sensor which was open and didn't show any resistance. Will change it next week. Thanks again.

Replaced the sensor which I suspected but I am still getting Zone Open fault.

When I checked resistance between 2-5 not seeing anything... pretty much open loop. Tried the sensor upside down etc., with no change in resistance value. Bought 3 sensors so far thinking that first one was faulty, but all same. To confirm the sensor is working or not, should there be not some resistance value between 2 - 5?

When the spring is pressed down, meter is showing resistance value between 3-4. Not sure how to check basic functionality test. Greatly appreciate any guidance on this. Thanks.

1 REED/SPARE
    2 SHOCK
    3 TAMPER
    4 TAMPER
    5 SHOCK
    6 REED/SPARE

• Advertisement

When you say no resistance I presume you mean infinite resistance which would be open (ol).
    You would be better testing the entire loop together from the loop wired into the panel like I described. Also if you are using HKC sensor ensure the arrow is pointing up.

Thanks for all the help. Fix was that the arrow on the sensor wasn't pointing upwards. All sorted now and working.

That can be a pain on HKC sensors. Its a regular thing. Many others work in any orientation.

Advertisement