Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Setup for Various Foreign Satellites - need advice

• 06-07-2019 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

HI All

I am looking to upgrade my satellite system with a new dish to receive Foreign Broadcasts. Mainly interested in FTA sports channels, but also as an enthusiast i would like to have as many as is feasibly possible, and i have done my research for a few weeks. The Satellites i have selected include:

9E, 13E, 16E, 19.2E, 23.5E, 28.2(obviously this is all i have currently and i aim to keep it) and 42E

In terms of Footprints, i understand that 42E is a stretch and some of the beams would be impossible. I Guess i am looking for some advice on Equipment necessary. The Wavefrontier T90 intrigues me given the claim that it works as an effective 90CM dish for all satellites. However i have also been looking at a 120CM perforated dish with a Multi LNB

Advice would be appreciated!

- Am i over reaching in terms of what satellites i am aiming for? For example would 'leaving out 42' make the enterprise far simpler and cheaper?

- Is the equipment mentioned above of the correct class i should be looking at?

- Are there any different Satellite positions i should reconsider? Would leaving my 28.2 dish in place and simply adding a secondary be advisable?

I installed my current set up myself and i have installed several dishs for friends, including those who require different positions, but this would be my first 'Multi Sat' setup so, i am happy to be shot down!

Thank you all in advance i appreciate your advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

The best I could get on one dish was 4.8E, 13E, 19.2E, 23.5E and 28.2E. I could not get 9E or 16E because there was physically no space between the LNBs.

Maybe leave 28.2E dish as it is, gives you more flexibility and won't disrubt the normal UK TV in the home while you are tweaking the foreign setups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Note, I'm in Kildare, using a Maximum E85 dish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Why not go motorised?

You won't regret it

Lots of feeds of 7E and 10E - plenty FTA too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭banie01

abarkie wrote: »
    Why not go motorised?

You won't regret it

Lots of feeds of 7E and 10E - plenty FTA too

Motorized is best for the widest range of channels, but I'm a fan of instant channel changes myself so my own setup is a td88 with disecq and multi LNB.

The most important question for the OP is what do they see as their most wanted/needed apart from 28.2e?

Once what is actually wanted is known, then an appropriate setup can be better planned.

On a normal TD88 I get a spread from 4.8e thru to 28.2e.
    4.8 on an offset is not a whole lot of use tho.

My original setup was aimed at 16e for EPL, I tweaked and played around and one stage thanks to slimline LNBs and some days.xml editing my spread was
    4.8e, 9+10e, 13e, 16, 19.2e, 23.5e and 28.2e all setup on the normal stock triax multi LNB bar, modded to give a centre mount for prime focus.

There are some great threads here with info from RimaNTTS and Greenman, aswell as my own thread that will give some good info on Multi LNB systems.
    For motorized, the guy to see IMO is DXhound2005.

Good luck with your setup, I'm ashamed to say despite the effort I put into my system a few years ago...
    It's becoming a little neglected.
    My E2 box used to be centre place for my home media, with my tuners shared to my android boxes but now IPTV has really made a lot of my effort kinda redundant :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Why not have a twin tuner and 2 dishes?

1 on 28.2e and 1 motorised

I have this (and a smaller dish on 23.5e)

Have a Vu Solo2 for motorised and 28.2 and a TM5402 (but probably will change this soon) on 23.5e

As above, on this forum,DXhound2005 looks to be one with lots of info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭banie01

abarkie wrote: »
    Why not have a twin tuner and 2 dishes?

1 on 28.2e and 1 motorised

True, that's an option.
    I have quad tuner these days and lots of Disepc switches ;)
    That said, 90-95% of my use these days is 28.2e, and other than that 19.2e or IPTV covers the rest of what I used to view.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭lgs 4

The best setup is monoblock for 13e Hotbird and Astra 1 19e .As for 4.8e the only channels free are Christian ones.Anything worth watching is pay tv .If you have lived in Scandinavia or know of someone living there .To get a subscription.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,301 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Thanks for the nice words. But I am a total non technical person, and I got my system installed by a professional. As already mentioned I would caution the OP not to expect too much from foreign channels and there is not a lot of FTA sports. There are thousands of channels, but 28 East is as good as it gets for general viewing with the UK channels.

Going motorised, and getting familiar with the world of feeds would be my recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Thanks for the nice words. But I am a total non-technical person, and I got my system installed by a professional. As already mentioned I would caution the OP not to expect too much from foreign channels and there is not a lot of FTA sports. There are thousands of channels, but 28 East is as good as it gets for general viewing with the UK channels.

Going motorised, and getting familiar with the world of feeds would be my recommendation.

Depending on what sports you want to watch Eurosport 1 is free on Astra 1 19e but the commentary is in German .If you like tennis Supertennis is on 13e Hotbird ,but again the commentary is in Italian .Some other sports channels from the middle east ,some times there commentary is in English

• Registered Users Posts: 22 brendan001

A motorised system with a TD110 is the way to go. Use a multistream receiver, something like a golden interstar alpha x. They are cheap but do the job. That way you will receive all the French and Italian channels on 5.west, Rai sport and l'equipe. Also on 39 east BNT 3 are multistream and show lots of sport. And if your horizon to the south east is visible CBC sport is clear on 46 east and good for live LA Liga and serie a. Then on 52 east which is the limit east Turkmenistan sport. Lots of RTE sports feeds on Thor 1 west. Arabic sports channels on 26 east are also available if the dish is aligned accurately

• Advertisement
Advertisement