Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice from landlords please.

Options
  • 06-07-2019 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hello there.
    I'm looking for some advice from landlords please.. I've recently received an inheritance and I'm looking to buy a house in Dublin so I can invest my inheritance.. and I'm also I'm looking to move abroad,I'd like to buy & then let.. I have a couple of questions.

1. Is buying and letting a full house out a good idea ? Are the costs and taxes too much for a good financial return ?.. is it a bad idea to let these days with bad tenants not paying rent ect ?

2. I'm also considering becoming an owner occupier, is this a better idea? Would I make a better financial return ?
    I was thinking about buying a 3 bedroom house in tallaghtand turning a sitting room into a bedroom...
    I'm aware you're allowed to be an owner occupier and rent out rooms and be tax free up until €14,000

If I rent out two rooms @ €14000 a year.. is it possible then to rent out another rooms ?

My idea would be to have a log cabin in the garden for my own residence.

Thanks in advance lads...

Any advice will be greatly appreciated....

Good vibes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Becoming a landlord? Don't do it! Happiest day was the day we sold.

Rent a room, max limit is 14k all in, go 1c over and the total amount is taxable.

Log cabin, next to no chance of getting planning permission and won't qualify you for rent a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Would you get €1200 a room per month in tallaght ,
    You might get €800 -900 for 2 rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭good vibes

Gatling wrote: »
    Would you get €1200 a room per month in tallaght ,
    You might get €800 -900 for 2 rooms.

I could rent 2 rooms to 4 people at 400 a month....

Caranica wrote: »
    Becoming a landlord? Don't do it! Happiest day was the day we sold.

Rent a room, max limit is 14k all in, go 1c over and the total amount is taxable.

Log cabin, next to no chance of getting planning permission and won't qualify you for rent a room.
    You don't need planning permission for a small log cabin..thx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭XsApollo

You do if you want to live in there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

XsApollo wrote: »

Probably not an owner occupier either if he’s living in a separate dwelling.

XsApollo wrote: »

I looked it up... there's certain sized log cabins that you would need planning permission for but the two smallest ones you don't.

amcalester wrote: »
    Probably not an owner occupier either if he’s living in a desperate dwelling.

Sorry ?? I don't get that ?

good vibes wrote: »

And this shows how important it is to do your research. Mistakes like this can be very expensive. As is pointed out above, if you want to live in a structure in your garden it needs planning permission.

I've been a landlord, and am currently a rent a room landlord. I know what I'm talking about. Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I could rent 2 rooms to 4 people at 400 a month....

Double bunks ?

• Advertisement

And this shows how important it is to do your research. Mistakes like this can be very expensive. As is pointed out above, if you want to live in a structure in your garden it needs planning permission.

I've been a landlord, and am currently a rent a room landlord. I know what I'm talking about. Thx

Ok thanks... Are you an owner occupier landlord do you mind me asking you ?

Gatling wrote: »
    Double bunks ?

No ...2 single beds to a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

It's a much, MUCH better idea to have your own place sorted and rent rooms than it is to rent yourself and become a Landlord. You're already trying to 'get creative' with the log cabin which wouldn't be a good idea on a number of levels. If you try and get creative with LL and Tenant law you would find yourself with a criminal record and huge fines.

You're certainly unlikely to make c.14K after tax from a single dwelling by renting it out.

Read desperate as separate.

I agree with that assessment also. You need to rent out rooms in the dwelling you live in. You also need planning if you're using the Log Cabin as a dwelling regardless of size.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hello there.
    I'm looking for some advice from landlords please.. I've recently received an inheritance and I'm looking to buy a house in Dublin so I can invest my inheritance.. and I'm also I'm looking to move abroad,I'd like to buy & then let.. I have a couple of questions.

1. Is buying and letting a full house out a good idea ? Are the costs and taxes too much for a good financial return ?.. is it a bad idea to let these days with bad tenants not paying rent ect ?

2. I'm also considering becoming an owner occupier, is this a better idea? Would I make a better financial return ?
    I was thinking about buying a 3 bedroom house in tallaghtand turning a sitting room into a bedroom...
    I'm aware you're allowed to be an owner occupier and rent out rooms and be tax free up until €14,000

If I rent out two rooms @ €14000 a year.. is it possible then to rent out another rooms ?

My idea would be to have a log cabin in the garden for my own residence.

Thanks in advance lads...

Any advice will be greatly appreciated....

Good vibes.

If your moving abroad you can’t do rent a room scheme or am I missing something here?

YOU NEED PLANNING TO SLEEP IN IT.

Small log cabins are garden sheds. You cannot build a shed and use it for habitable accommodation.

It's a much, MUCH better idea to have your own place sorted and rent rooms than it is to rent yourself and become a Landlord. You're already trying to 'get creative' with the log cabin which wouldn't be a good idea on a number of levels. If you try and get creative with LL and Tenant law you would find yourself with a criminal record and huge fines.

You're certainly unlikely to make c.14K after tax from a single dwelling by renting it out.

Hi thanks for that... Could you elaborate a little please and what you mean by having your own place sorted and rent rooms?

... I'll only have the one property.. if I had a three bedroom house I could rent two rooms
    ..& I would have one room for myself..
    I could rent the two roons to three or four tenants for €14000 a year....would that work ?

Thanks.

Ok thanks... Are you an owner occupier landlord do you mind me asking you ?

For rent a room yes. I rent out one room to one person and including bills come in well below the rent a room limit.

Previously we rented out another property, between stress, and damage and tax it was truly not worth it. Sold the property recently, a happy day.

There are investment opportunities that are far less stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Recent signs are indicating a softening of property prices around the country. You seem unsure as to whether you want to live here or abroad. As a landlord if you live abroad the tenant/agent deducts 25% of the rent in tax. If you live here the tax is at your marginal rate less expenses etc.

This rent a room scheme looks good on paper but i suggest that it is designed for a certain type who wouldn't mind having their home continuously occupied by a stranger.

in essence you may be better off waiting to see what the government will do for the private landlord in the Budget. Then decide - but if you are the type 14000 euro per annum tax free is very attractive.

I looked it up... there's certain sized log cabins that you would need planning permission for but the two smallest ones you don't.

Based on this I’d advise you seem professional advise and not advice from friends or chancers. They is no exemption for log cabins. Not even the small ones. If you sleep there then you are in breach of the planning regulations.

Log cabins rely on class exemptions. That’s for sheds, Stores etc but there’s a small portion that states that the finish must match that if the main house.

You are in serious trouble of the rest of your RESEARCH is similar to the planning research you’ve carried out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

If you’re living in a separate standalone dwelling then you don’t qualify for the rent a room scheme.

Hi thanks for that... Could you elaborate a little please and what you mean by having your own place sorted and rent rooms?

... I'll only have the one property.. if I had a three bedroom house and rented two rooms I would have one room for myself and rent the two roons to three or four tenants for €14000 a year....would that work ?

Thanks.

You suggest in your opening post that you don't currently own. I would sort that situation out and rent rooms. You should be able to get €400 for a single €550 for a double and around €750 for an en suite in Tallaght depending where and spec etc. I have a very modest place in Kilbarrack and can get €575 for a double. I doubt you'd need four people to be honest.

I rent out a full apartment for over €1150 per month with a small mortgage and the amount I get from that doesn't generate a positive cashflow. The hassle - even though we know the tenants - isn't worth it either.

For rent a room yes. I rent out one room to one person and including bills come in well below the rent a room limit.

Previously we rented out another property, between stress, and damage and tax it was truly not worth it. Sold the property recently, a happy day.

There are investment opportunities that are far less stressful.

Thanks for that Caranica..

If I rented two rooms as an owner occupier landlord do I have to pay for refuge and other bills ?
    You'll have to forgive me this is all new to me..

What other investment opportunities are there that are less stressful do you feel ?

Thanks again.

Thanks for that Caranica..

If I rented two rooms as an owner occupier landlord do I have to pay for refuge and other bills ?
    You'll have to forgive me this is all new to me..

What other investment opportunities are there that are less stressful do you feel ?

Thanks again.

You have to keep everything, rent and bills, under €14,000 or you pay tax on the whole lot. You still need to do a tax return, but under €14,000 is tax free.

You suggest in your opening post that you don't currently own. I would sort that situation out and rent rooms. You should be able to get €400 for a single €550 for a double and around €750 for an en suite in Tallaght depending where and spec etc. I have a very modest place in Kilbarrack and can get €575 for a double. I doubt you'd need four people to be honest.

I rent out a full apartment for over €1150 per month with a small mortgage and the amount I get from that doesn't generate a positive cashflow. The hassle - even though we know the tenants - isn't worth it either.

Ok thanks for that Samuel T.great advice

So it sounds like the best bet is to buy house rent out 3 rooms for €14000 a year... I could always renovate the attic and live in the Attic myself... As an owner occupier do I have to pay for refuge and bills do you know ?

Thanks again... Any other pearls of wisdom would be appreciated 😉

You can charge your lodgers a proportion of bills but it counts as part of the 14k as that is the maximum amount you can receive tax free.

So it sounds like the best bet is to buy house rent out 3 rooms for €14000 a year... I could always renovate the attic and live in the Attic myself... As an owner occupier do I have to pay for refuge and bills do you know ?

Thanks again... Any other pearls of wisdom would be appreciated ��

You'd have to pay the bills but I charge them on top of what I get for the room. Including bills the amount taken has to remain under €14,000 though. I'd suggest that if you rent the two larger rooms to singles, keep the smaller room and the living room for yourself (put TVs in the larger rooms) by the time you charge rent and two thirds of the bills you'll be very close to the limit of €14K and be sharing with a manageable number of people.

Thanks again... Any other pearls of wisdom would be appreciated ��

To rent out 3 rooms you then need a 4 bedroom house so factor that into your search.

Your tax free allowance of 14k then allows you to charge €389 per person per room fully inclusive of all extras so mark sure the figures all add up.

If you take money from them for tv, broadband and bins or any other service then this has to be added on.
    Make sure the you only earn €13,999 per year total basically.

You have to keep everything, rent and bills, under €14,000 or you pay tax on the whole lot. You still need to do a tax return, but under €14,000 is tax free.

Would it be possible to split bills refuge electricity ect with tenants ? Is that allowed ?

• Advertisement

Would it be possible to split bills refuge electricity ect with tenants ? Is that allowed ?

Once you keep under the 14k your ok.
    You really need to sit down and read the replies.

Rent + bills can’t be more than 14k

Advertisement