Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limitations

Options
  • 06-07-2019 4:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

I was checking my insurance cert today and came across the following under section 3 "Limitations as to use" Use for social, Domestic and pleasure purposes only.This policy does not cover use to and from any place of business or study, use for any trade, business or profession, or use for any connection with the motor tradeor use for hire or reward, racing, pacemaking special testing" .......and then the usual rallies and competition and Nurburgring . :eek:

Just wondering about the use for travel for study or work purposes or even a bit of shopping (a place of business) or even to fill up with petrol or travelling to have it serviced (motor trade)
    Insurers this year Axa Last year Zenith. Brokers Principal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Emmersonn wrote: »
    I was checking my insurance cert today and came across the following under section 3 "Limitations as to use" Use for social, Domestic and pleasure purposes only.This policy does not cover use to and from any place of business or study, use for any trade, business or profession, or use for any connection with the motor tradeor use for hire or reward, racing, pacemaking special testing" .......and then the usual rallies and competition and Nurburgring . :eek:

Just wondering about the use for travel for study or work purposes or even a bit of shopping (a place of business) or even to fill up with petrol or travelling to have it serviced (motor trade)

Does that mean you can't commute to work under this policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Does that mean you can't commute to work under this policy?

Taken literally,as it WILL be in the event of a significant claim,it would seem so.

However,this insiduous tampering with long unaltered T's & C's,now appears to have caught on across the Irish Insurance Industry.

The real issue however,remains the level of Awards which continue to made in the Irish Courts,in comparison to other Juristictions.

The belated recognition amongst Politicians,of a somewhat too cosy Market segmentation arrangement across the Irish Insurance providers is a step in the right direction...what happens next is anybodys guess :(

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/revealed-irish-profits-for-insurer-twice-what-was-planned-38284217.html
    The three insurers represent 50pc of the market.

However,I would suggest that rather than focusing on an across the board lowering of premia,that the authorities look a lot closer at the side-bar issues such as "Arrangement Fees", "Broker Fees",and above all...."Administration Charges" which can nowadays almost constitute a premium in themselves.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Emmersonn wrote: »

Insurers this year Axa Last year Zenith. Brokers Principal

Why would you take a policy like that unless you're just going to keep your bike in the garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

"A place of business" is what it says, which I'd read as part of commercial use.

That said there is no fear of you being found to not have cover on foot of riding to work. Commuting is part of 'domestic' use, and there isn't a hope a judge would find otherwise.

Under Irish law, once a certificate of insurance is issued, your are covered and the company must honour it.

The only recourse an insurance company has is a civil suit to recover monies afterwards, (but they would fail over the 'domestic' clause above.

Either way prosecution for no insurance is not possible.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Anytime I was ever getting a quote for insurance I was asked would I be using the bike for "commuting" if you answer no, on your head be it if indeed you are using it as your main source of transport to and from work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Anytime I was ever getting a quote for insurance I was asked would I be using the bike for "commuting" if you answer no, on your head be it if indeed you are using it as your main source of transport to and from work.

Whilst I'd always advocate you say 'yes' to that question, I would say that on the odd sunny day /busses are onstrike/car is fubar etc you take the bike, that being occasional would still fall under SD&P.

I think any insurance company that excludes routine commuting from ordinary SD&P would want to be cutting premiums dramatically, not using 'commuting' to add them.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭rock22

I think it is a standard clause in all Carole Nash /Agneas policies

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 Ago1960

Just had a look at my policy and the wording seems to be identical. Must be standard wording on motorcycle policies. Mine is direct with AXa

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

It seems to vary from company to company.
    I've seen some say you need Class 1 for commuting.

Bunch of snakes the lot of them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭D3V!L

How would they know you were going to work should you have an accident ? They've no way of proving you weren't off that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

I always ensure that commuting is mentioned on the policy documents. We all hear of the story of an insurer denying a claim and, we pay enough for it in the 1st place and we if we had an accident we want the insurance to actually work as we expect

Advertisement