Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

White would be cuckoo to move to either WWE or the AEW carnival. He'd be Kevin Owen's best friend or he'd be ****ing teleporting around the building in AEW.

AEW treated Rusev worse than WWE. He should have gone in there as a stud, right to the top of the card. Instead, he was brought in wearing a Minnie Mouse rigout and introduced as some Junior Cert student's best man.

I was delighted when Jacob Fatu (best in the business) signed on with MLW. Proper wrestling. It'd destroy what's left of my wrestling soul to see him stooged out on WWE or going twenty minutes with Jimmy Havoc.

To be fair the concerns regarding WWE are fair. They have a poor track record.

AEW have a great track record in comparison. Miros presentation in AEW isnt just down to management, Miro himself appears to have a lot of input into his chatacter. Besides Miro though, theyve done a great job with everyone else thus far.

That said, White should stay put if hes got a good offer in Japan. Id say the lure of financial security has him at least tempted. Slate WWE all you want, but if they offered you a truck full of cash, setting you up financially for life yous consider it. Its a job at the end of the day.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

beakerjoe wrote: »
    That said, White should stay put if hes got a good offer in Japan. Id say the lure of financial security has him at least tempted. Slate WWE all you want, but if they offered you a truck full of cash, setting you up financially for life yous consider it. Its a job at the end of the day.

That WWE gravy boat will only last so long though, live events are non-existent, subs for the network are way behind projections and surely they must be sweating about the TV deals in lieu of recent poor ratings.

AEW is on the up with unlimited potential for growth. WWE is only going one way and that's down and there's nothing to stop the spiral it seems.

Loughc wrote: »
    That WWE gravy boat will only last so long though, live events are non-existent, subs for the network are way behind projections and surely they must be sweating about the TV deals in lieu of recent poor ratings.

AEW is on the up with unlimited potential for growth. WWE is only going one way and that's down and there's nothing to stop the spiral it seems.
    No doubt.

But if they come knocking at Jay Whites door with a 5 year deal at a ridiculous amount per year , i wont blame him for signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,175 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Loughc wrote: »

"Unlimited potential for growth" for AEW seems very hyperbolic. Wrestling is super-niche these days and even more niche if you're not WWE.

Kill me for even talking about ratings but AEW cracked 1 million viewers once in 2020 and it was by the skin of their teeth and most tellingly they did it on a night when NXT didn't even air.

With zero competition they barely got a million viewers. The last time they hit 1 million viewers before that was their third show. Since then it's been a steady 800k-ish average.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wednesday_Night_Wars "Wars."

There was talk of live events being canned before Covid anyway. WWE were barely breaking even going Nowheresville, Alabama 3 nights a week.

As for TV deals, WWE will never be sweating on them. They offer 5 hours of live entertainment 2 nights a week, 52 weeks a year. TV networks will be falling over each other to get that. Live content is king these days. They're unlikely to get a record deal again but they'll be very healthy.

AEW fans remind me of Man United fans these days. They think they're close to WWE (Liverpool) but they're not really and I say that as a United fan.

WWE are an elite club, ironically, and AEW are a top 6 club.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

United have a better chance of winning the league this season over Liverpool and I say that as a Liverpool fan.

AEW has a long way to go but if there was an option to invest in either AEW or WWE as a long term prospect I’d go AEW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

When TNA was on the go, people, wrestling media and the company itself wanted them to compete and beat WWE. TNA put themself into a hole, financial and creatively trying to chase that dragon.

AEW doesn't seem to be doing that, but Meltzer, some of the fans want to paint AEW as the new promised land.

Clearly, lots of people are still happy in WWE. Daniel Bryan, Sami Zyan, Steen etc could leave WWE tomorrow and go to AEW of where ever for big money.

I really wish this WWE Vs. AEW stuff would go away. I don't care who beats who in the ratings or who's got the highest demo. You like WWE watch that if you don't watch something else. 2021 let's increase the peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Money talks at the end of the day and whatever Meltzer et al say, I really don't think the likes of Balor, Owens, Nakamura and Zayn give a sh1t about their booking.

They're being paid extremely well for half the effort expected elsewhere and making money at the most important stage of their life to do so, so I don't believe there's as many long faces as Meltzer would suggest.

Sure some might leave when their current contract is up, but it won't be this big huge bitter fall out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

They care about getting paid. They don't care about title reins and their booking unless it effects how much they get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,175 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Well well, look who was involved in funding groups that were rioting in America this week...

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/09/pro-trump-dark-money-groups-organized-the-rally-that-led-to-deadly-capitol-hill-riot.html

Zombie Linda.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Well well, look who was involved in funding groups that were rioting in America this week...

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/09/pro-trump-dark-money-groups-organized-the-rally-that-led-to-deadly-capitol-hill-riot.html

Zombie Linda.

Linda has been backing Trump up until Wednesday publicly and its non secret she has a lot to gain by Trump being in Power.

That said, the elecation is over. These groups organising these rallys is ridiculous. They lost, the man they wanted elected lost and they need to accept the fair defeat.

I hope Lindas head rolls eventually with Trump, but she will likely avoid any wrong doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,647 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Any update on NJPW's TV in the UK & US they just announced a TV deal with Eurosport in India so they are starting to expand there reach around the world now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Any update on NJPW's TV in the UK & US they just announced a TV deal with Eurosport in India so they are starting to expand there reach around the world now.

I'd heard DAZN mentioned, maybe British Eurosport. All speculation though.

jface187 wrote: »
    When TNA was on the go, people, wrestling media and the company itself wanted them to compete and beat WWE. TNA put themself into a hole, financial and creatively trying to chase that dragon.

AEW doesn't seem to be doing that, but Meltzer, some of the fans want to paint AEW as the new promised land.

Clearly, lots of people are still happy in WWE. Daniel Bryan, Sami Zyan, Steen etc could leave WWE tomorrow and go to AEW of where ever for big money.

I really wish this WWE Vs. AEW stuff would go away. I don't care who beats who in the ratings or who's got the highest demo. You like WWE watch that if you don't watch something else. 2021 let's increase the peace.

Wrestling is wrestling, I want the all to succeed. But for me, If WWE succeeds at the expense of AEW, wrestling will be in a worse place from an entertainment and enjoyment POV.

If AEW succeed and begin to take viewers away from WWE or create new viewers, then WWE will have to change to survive. And WWE has needed a core shake up for over 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Wrestling is wrestling, I want the all to succeed. But for me, If WWE succeeds at the expense of AEW, wrestling will be in a worse place from an entertainment and enjoyment POV.

If AEW succeed and begin to take viewers away from WWE or create new viewers, then WWE will have to change to survive. And WWE has needed a core shake up for over 15 years.

At the core I’m sure everyone signed up to the wrestling forum wants this. But like it or not AEW is NOT competition at the same level as WWE yet. Not everything they do is perfect.

In the same way as not everything WWE do sucks too the levels some here make out.

Neither promotion is perfect or with out flaws. Both make mistakes I think most of the arguments here revolve around different posters only looking at things through rose tinted glasses at their favorite promotions.

We could be at the beginning of TNA 2.0 or we could be at beginning of the Monday Night Wars (different tv nights I know) part 2. Let’s see where it takes us but the constant fawning over everything one promotion does by certain posters is tedious. Likewise ****ting on everything other promotions do.

Personally I believe I am as critical about WWE as I am of AEW, I call a spade a spade.

Right now though AEW is far more enteratining product and I delighted. It early days, but I want AEW to be successful as its vitally important that WWE gets genuine competition. But yes, its early days. Very early. But AEW are on the right track.

Yes not everything AEW do is perfect. Miro, anything Brandy Rhodes, their Womens division for example.

Not everything WWE is garbage. Cedric Alexander's recent booking, Sheamus and Drew Mc, Romans heel turn, Randy Ortons first half of 2020. All very entertsining.

But for every good thing WWE do, they hamstring it in some way at best, at worst they totally botch it with poor to no planning, horrible execution or nonsensical logic.

For every bad thing AEW do, they do probably 8 things good and 3 or 4 things amazing.

Its reality. Im a WWE guy primarily and Ive waited so long for them to turn it around, learn from mistakes, get some form if consistency. Im rarely impressed with modern WWE. And I so want it to be different.

AEW, while not as successful as WWE and admittedly mot perfect, are providing me with ample entertainment on a consistant basis, thus fulfilling my needs that I wish WWE would give me.

Ill watch both, probably will for the foreseeable future and hope Im entertained. But if in some weird circumstances where I only had 2 hours a week free to watch one show, I sadly will not be loyal to WWE anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Linda has been backing Trump up until Wednesday publicly and its non secret she has a lot to gain by Trump being in Power.

That said, the elecation is over. These groups organising these rallys is ridiculous. They lost, the man they wanted elected lost and they need to accept the fair defeat.

I hope Lindas head rolls eventually with Trump, but she will likely avoid any wrong doing.

This will never happen. They've been weaponized to the point of no return. How do you go about de-weaponizing 75 million people from the bull**** they've been fed over the course of Trump's candidacy, and eventual swearing in as President in January 2017?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,647 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Meltzer is reporting that AEW spoke with Jay White in 2018 when they were setting up and he told them he had signed a 7 year deal with NJPW.

So if true he still has a good few years left under contract with NJPW.

Those boys would have been close enough to White from their runs in NJPW.

Maybe Im picking it up wrong, but it appears that he just deleted his Twitter account. I dont think hes missing.

The post is more about fake accounts using Flips name on sicial media, particularly Parlor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Yeah, flips a qanon guy, somebody on Parler using flips name is peddling qanon garbage, roh saying that Parler q dude flip is not regular q dude flip.....

• Advertisement

You can either take Flip at his word, which I think Ian has done here and, by extension ROH. Or you can say Flip got freaked out that this picked up traction and honestly could spell the end of his career in major wrestling promotions (ROH, and by extension NJPW, gone. AEW probably not touching this. Not worth the hassle for WWE either).

Dude needs to stop. Like either get smart and realise you're being worked, or, as he said he's already done, stop talking about it publicly. His ROH stuff has been good lately, his match with Gresham at Final Battle was MOTN, but he's putting a ceiling on his own career with this stuff.

My first recation was damage limiation by ROH, but Im just basing that on very little.

The truth usually comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭hynesie08

You can either take Flip at his word, which I think Ian has done here and, by extension ROH. Or you can say Flip got freaked out that this picked up traction and honestly could spell the end of his career in major wrestling promotions (ROH, and by extension NJPW, gone. AEW probably not touching this. Not worth the hassle for WWE either).

Dude needs to stop. Like either get smart and realise you're being worked, or, as he said he's already done, stop talking about it publicly. His ROH stuff has been good lately, his match with Gresham at Final Battle was MOTN, but he's putting a ceiling on his own career with this stuff.

Drake wuertz can put in a word....

Flip was a soldier, but in the national guard, so no tours of duty, so you can't even blame the insanity on ptsd.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Drake wuertz can put in a word....

Flip was a soldier, but in the national guard, so no tours of duty, so you can't even blame the insanity on ptsd.

That's true, he wouldn't be out of place with the NXT crew but hiring someone after the Parler stuff is more difficult than firing someone.

That's true, he wouldn't be out of place with the NXT crew but hiring someone after the Parler stuff is more difficult than firing someone.

I see Glenn Jacobs is going to Parler now in protest of whats happened to Trump.

The division in America is worsening by the day. Things are going to get worse.

I see Glenn Jacobs is going to Parler now in protest of whats happened to Trump.

Saw that and everybody knows the reputation Kane had amongst WWE people as being the smartest guy in the company.

Basically the lesson to everyone is if you go in expecting wrestlers to be really dumb as a base level, you're never disappointed.

It sucks to see guys you think are decent at some level to be taking this stand for these reasons.

Then ya see guys like Sean Morley and ya think, yeah.... thats a bout right.

Jericho is the hardest one to take. A guy I thought was the smartest and one of the most decent guys in the business. Then hes anti mask and donating 37k to Trump.

You'd think now that the politicians of the United States would be far more focused on the issues facing the country, rather than crying foul over the treatment of the President on a private platform where they agreed to the Terms Of Service when signing up to Twitter.

James Gunn summed it up best, in response to Sarah Huckabee Sanders when she whinged about losing 50K followers on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1348489817420546051

It sucks to see guys you think are decent at some level to be taking this stand for these reasons.

Jericho is the hardest one to take. A guy I thought was the smartest and one of the most decent guys in the business. Then hes anti mask and donating 37k to Trump.

Imagine donating to somebody that is allegedly a billionaire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Jericho always came across as a good, progressive, guy who will speak his mind (I will always love him for burying Ryan Satin when he tried to lecture Jericho on Benoit).

I've always tended to past stuff like politics when getting to know someone but the last year has made that quite difficult to put it mildly.

Advertisement