Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Jericho always came across as a good, progressive, guy who will speak his mind (I will always love him for burying Ryan Satin when he tried to lecture Jericho on Benoit).

I've always tended to past stuff like politics when getting to know someone but the last year has made that quite difficult to put it mildly.

Jericho is my fav wrestler, always felt he was the best allrounder and one of the most versatile and innovative talents ever.

He presents himself like a very likeable guy in his books, and appears honest enough about his flaws. From being one of the few who kept in touch with David Benoit, reuniting him with Nancy's sister, donating to plenty of good causes and being brave enough to go to AEW when he had it pretty cussy with Vince were always things I felt that he was one of the good ones.

And he is a good person, but his anti mask opinions and his Trump support have made me realise hes not all perfect. Like us all he's flawwed. Im sure he has his reasons for supporting Trump, and without fully knowing those reasons its hard to judge, but man I couldnt justify voting for Trump. Yet 73 million did.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Drew McIntrye has tested positive for Covid-19, is in quarantine.

https://twitter.com/BRWrestling/status/1348713247902375936

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

I wonder will they even mention his absence or just ignore it. They’re inside their bubble so much they have barely acknowledged covid

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Vacant about to get another push.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Vacant about to get another push.

He only has to quarantine for 10 to 14 days. Once hes not badly affected he will still be performing against Goldberg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Not sure if this was posted but interesting from nick Jackson on some of the after effects he suffered

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/ku7nsr/nick_jackson_had_covid_a_few_months_ago/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

beakerjoe wrote: »
    he will still be performing against Goldberg.

If any young gun needs a rub, it's him.

Omackeral wrote: »
    If any young gun needs a rub, it's him.

Hes a plucky young newcomer, modest Bill might just get over

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

Is there any chance the Drew covid thing might be a tasteless storyline from wwe? Nothing is beyond this company and they are desperate for ratings. They have barely mentioned the pandemic and act like there is nothing going on in the real world. It also brings up all the “legends” who were there last week who presumably interacted with Drew and may have been exposed

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I just remembered Carlito was meant to be there last week.

They likely won't mention COVID but will mention him not being medically cleared.
    They refuse to mention it yet did that whole 2021 beating 2020 thing with 2020 represented by some sort of germy thing

• Advertisement

I agree, I doubt they will mention it.

Surprised they announced it at all. Probably announced it before someone else did.

I highly doubt its a storyline, I like to think that they are abive that now, but if someone told me it was a storyline I wouldnt agrue. Id be like 'of course they did'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Triple H to open Raw tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Judging by the amount of New Year’s Eve parties I saw on Twitter/Instagram by wrestlers in all the companies can’t say I’m suprised

https://twitter.com/whatculturewwe/status/1348739613020606471?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ciaran2054

The Democrats might decide wrestling isn’t so special once they’re in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

https://twitter.com/ringsidenews_/status/1349099060339351555?s=19

Let's see how this goes. If I was picking anyone in WWE I'd like to see leave and work elsewhere, outside of like your Reigns or someone of that ilk, and I was being selfish it would be Ricochet or Akira Tozawa.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,175 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I do not see what people see in him. Good wrestler, flips for days but has an insomnia-curing personality.

The internet likes to think that the grass will be greener outside the WWE bubble for everyone but for every Moxley there is EC3, Shawn Spears, Zack Ryder, Mike Bennett etc.

And Ricochet is no Moxley.

J. Marston wrote: »
    I do not see what people see in him. Good wrestler, flips for days but has an insomnia-curing personality.

The internet likes to think that the grass will be greener outside the WWE bubble for everyone but for every Moxley there is EC3, Shawn Spears, Zack Ryder, Mike Bennett etc.

I kine Ricochet, and I think hes a great in ring performer but he hasnt shown me the personality to be a top star. I dont see what he does that other lads dont do. Line I look at Cedric, Jungle Boy, Sammy G, other lads his size and I dont see what Riochet brings that these lads dont.

That said WWE did alright with him but then buried him a year ago. Was it because he didnt want to sign a new deal then?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,530 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I'm not the biggest fan of Ricochet but I do think there is a place for him in wrestling. When I think of him I think of ECW and how they promoted themselves as an alternative to the other promotions. They'd showcase different types of wrestlers and wrestling styles and they were really good at utilizing their talent. I guess that's probably why he was named as one of Paul Heyman's favorites when he was still on the creative team.

I feel Ricochet is basically the alternative wrestler. If he can find a place that utilizes well I don't see why he couldn't do well for himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,175 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

J. Marston wrote: »

I couldn't disagree more on both his lack of personality or that he wouldn't thrive outside of WWE. The differences between himself and those guys you listed are night and day. Let's do a run through of each guy. EC3 had a hot run on Impact (a promotion which has always felt strangely distant from the greater wrestling landscape anyway) and did some fun stuff in Evolve, however he's fundamentally a WWE guy having come up in their system and by the time he was let go from WWE (again) his body is broken down to the point where he can barely bump.

Shawn Spears, another core WWE guy that came up in their developmental that has practically no great experience or exposure outside of WWE pre release.

Zack Ryder, same story as Shawn Spears more or less. Core WWE guy.

Mike Bennett is slightly different in that he was heralded in 2011 ROH as the next big guy, and he did have some big programmes in ROH, is a former IWGP Tag Team Champion too (though the reign was desperate) a decent little wrestler, but nobody would ever argue he was anything more than that.

The there's Ricochet. The only 2 time winner of BOLA (a tournament that more or less crowns the best wrestler on the indies, PWG traditionally being the super indie guys work before getting signed). DGUSA's Open the Freedom Gate Champion (the top title in DGUSA, Gabe's post ROH company, Open the Brave Gate Champion, King of Gate 2013, and Open the Dream Gate Champion in Dragon Gate (the top title in Dragon Gate, not everyone gets to be the Open the Dream Gate Champion, outside of the IWGP Title, it's probably the most protected Championship in wrestling over the last 20 years and he was the first gaijin to win it), the Best of the Super Juniors in New Japan Pro Wrestling 2014, the Wrestling Observer's Best Flying Wrestler of the Decade 2010's.

My point here, aside from listing Wikipedia accomplishments, is that by 2016/2017 Ricochet is the, probable, undisputed best unsigned wrestler in America, he's the King of the indies. The range of companies the guy worked for, the influential bookers and promoters who all saw something in him, and the match output show that Ricochet was a step above probably anybody else in that timeframe. To lump him in with WWE system rejects is an awful take.

With regards to his charisma, that's a lot more subjective than the previous point. All I'll say is, you don't semi main event Kobe World and have a Dream Gate run if you don't have any charisma. He's OK on the mic, but charisma can be so much more than just stick work. Is he Jon Moxley on the mic? No. Nobody is, that's a once in a generation promo guy. But Ricochet has got physical charisma, he's got a fantastic look, he's expressive and he's shown that in a variety of ways from his Lucha Underground stuff, to the big PWG stuff.

I'll end it on this, Ricochet is an addition to any roster. I'll go stronger: Ricochet would improve, maybe even greatly improve, any pro wrestling roster in history. If he did leave, you'd imagine the most likely landing spot is AEW and if you can't find a way to draw money with Ricochet vs Kenny Omega, or Ricochet vs Moxley then you're doing pro wrestling wrong and you need to stop doing it.

EC3 had a hot run on Impact (a promotion which has always felt strangely distant from the greater wrestling landscape anyway) and did some fun stuff in Evolve, however he's fundamentally a WWE guy having come up in their system and by the time he was let go from WWE (again) his body is broken down to the point where he can barely bump.

Broken down. I havent kept up with EC3 much, how injured was/is he?

Broken down. I havent kept up with EC3 much, how injured was/is he?

He's shot. He was supposed to work Final Battle but couldn't because of Covid, probably a blessing in disguise. It's not quite Tenzan levels of "painful to even watch him work" but he's not far off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Jay White is on the poster for the 2021 New Japan Cup announced today that is taking place in March so hopefully that's the end of talk to him going to WWE.

Frightful reporting that Retribution members excluding Ali signed to 250,000 per year deals when called up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Frightful reporting that Retribution members excluding Ali signed to 250,000 per year deals when called up.

Less than a lot of tech jobs in the States, interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,647 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Nice money in a lockdown era where they only perform once a week for 10/15 minutes and have very little traveling expenses as most if not all will live in the Florida area and free training facilities in the WWE performance centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Nice money in a lockdown era where they only perform once a week for 10/15 minutes and have very little traveling expenses as most if not all will live in the Florida area and free training facilities in the WWE performance centre.

Agreed on that. Many will find it hard to go back on the road and incur all those extra expenses I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭weareallmarks

It isnt about accomplishments. They aint real. Ricochet has not shown any kind of personality. It is either because he is doing what he is told, or he has non. He may have non because he did the flips and didnt have to do the work on his personality.

He should leave right now, go anywhere else and start fresh with emphasis on his personality. Which right now is non existent.

EC3 has the opposite problem, massive personality minimal ability. Ryder has neither, Bennett has neither, Spears has less of either than ryder or bennett but they are all happier where they are which is key.
    I couldn't disagree more on both his lack of personality or that he wouldn't thrive outside of WWE. The differences between himself and those guys you listed are night and day. Let's do a run through of each guy. EC3 had a hot run on Impact (a promotion which has always felt strangely distant from the greater wrestling landscape anyway) and did some fun stuff in Evolve, however he's fundamentally a WWE guy having come up in their system and by the time he was let go from WWE (again) his body is broken down to the point where he can barely bump.

Shawn Spears, another core WWE guy that came up in their developmental that has practically no great experience or exposure outside of WWE pre release.

Zack Ryder, same story as Shawn Spears more or less. Core WWE guy.

Mike Bennett is slightly different in that he was heralded in 2011 ROH as the next big guy, and he did have some big programmes in ROH, is a former IWGP Tag Team Champion too (though the reign was desperate) a decent little wrestler, but nobody would ever argue he was anything more than that.

The there's Ricochet. The only 2 time winner of BOLA (a tournament that more or less crowns the best wrestler on the indies, PWG traditionally being the super indie guys work before getting signed). DGUSA's Open the Freedom Gate Champion (the top title in DGUSA, Gabe's post ROH company, Open the Brave Gate Champion, King of Gate 2013, and Open the Dream Gate Champion in Dragon Gate (the top title in Dragon Gate, not everyone gets to be the Open the Dream Gate Champion, outside of the IWGP Title, it's probably the most protected Championship in wrestling over the last 20 years and he was the first gaijin to win it), the Best of the Super Juniors in New Japan Pro Wrestling 2014, the Wrestling Observer's Best Flying Wrestler of the Decade 2010's.

My point here, aside from listing Wikipedia accomplishments, is that by 2016/2017 Ricochet is the, probable, undisputed best unsigned wrestler in America, he's the King of the indies. The range of companies the guy worked for, the influential bookers and promoters who all saw something in him, and the match output show that Ricochet was a step above probably anybody else in that timeframe. To lump him in with WWE system rejects is an awful take.

With regards to his charisma, that's a lot more subjective than the previous point. All I'll say is, you don't semi main event Kobe World and have a Dream Gate run if you don't have any charisma. He's OK on the mic, but charisma can be so much more than just stick work. Is he Jon Moxley on the mic? No. Nobody is, that's a once in a generation promo guy. But Ricochet has got physical charisma, he's got a fantastic look, he's expressive and he's shown that in a variety of ways from his Lucha Underground stuff, to the big PWG stuff.

I'll end it on this, Ricochet is an addition to any roster. I'll go stronger: Ricochet would improve, maybe even greatly improve, any pro wrestling roster in history. If he did leave, you'd imagine the most likely landing spot is AEW and if you can't find a way to draw money with Ricochet vs Kenny Omega, or Ricochet vs Moxley then you're doing pro wrestling wrong and you need to stop doing it.

Advertisement