Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Not to be pedantic (but open to correction) but would Renee even be considered an ex-WWE employee yet? The 90 day no compete be up yet?

Never mind, Loughc beat me to the punch.

She finished at Summerslam, so it's well up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Loughc wrote: »
    Punk was on the previous run of backstage, Fox fill the presenters roles, Renee is already confirmed to be returning, their contracts will be with Fox and not WWE

No i get that they are returning as Fox employees but how much input does WWE have when oking these roles?

Are they trying to stay in the good books of Renee and cosying up to Punk (come on do Wrestlemania... please....oh your mean...) or are Fox overruling them?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

beakerjoe wrote: »
    No i get that they are returning as Fox employees but how much input does WWE have when oking these roles?

Are they trying to stay in the good books of Renee and cosying up to Punk (come on do Wrestlemania... please....oh your mean...) or are Fox overruling them?

FOX over-rule them, apparently Vince didn't want Punk at all... but hey money talks for Vince too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,175 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

NITRO95 wrote: »
    Love the idea that the lead reporter in the entire wrestling business for the past 30 years has no clue about what's going on. Obviously Dave knows who to talk to and who to listen to

The lead reporter in the entire wrestling business didn't know anything about WWE doing a billion dollar deal but as soon as it's announced, he has all the inside details about companies like Disney and ESPN? Nah, sounds more like a spoofer to me.

The lengths people will go to to defend wasting their $12 on him. He is a cult-like figure for a certain section of wrestling fans and it fùcking baffles me.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,647 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The WWE don't need Punk in fact I'd say the WWE actually don't want Punk.

The WWE doesn't need the headache of him backstage stirring up crap.

He won't make them anymore money by being there they have TV, Streaming money now so they don't need viewers anymore there is no live events for fans to go see him, He might sell a few t-shirts but that about it.

All in All he offers nothing to the corporate machine that is DRAW not the talent that works for it now.

• Advertisement

The WWE don't need Punk in fact I'd say the WWE actually don't want Punk.

The WWE doesn't need the headache of him backstage stirring up crap.

He won't make them anymore money by being there they have TV, Streaming money now so they don't need viewers anymore there is no live events for fans to go see him, He might sell a few t-shirts but that about it.

All in All he offers nothing to the corporate machine that is DRAW not the talent that works for it now.

Im telling you if Goldberg pops the ratings (slightly), which he does, then Punk will offer more than him IMO.

WWE wont care about any backstage numbers, only if the needle moves on ratings/subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Loughc wrote: »
    The latest rumour on the net is and take it with the tiniest pinch of salt is;

Punk is returning at the Rumble and he will go on the Main event one of the Mania nights against the Miz who will cash in at successfully some point before Mania, they will build on the personal beef Punk has with the Miz.

*static*

"wait"

*cult of personality*

"OOOOH MYYYYY"

"Could it be?....IT IS....IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME"

*static*

"wait"

*cult of personality*

"OOOOH MYYYYY"

"Could it be?....IT IS....IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME"

Stop ruining my imagination by inserting Michael Coles voice over it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,995 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

See there was a special for India's national day featuring a lot of Indian developmental wrestlers, Jinder and a few of the usual superstars

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I'm starting to wonder if dismissive bravado is the mask for these insecure oul lads having digs at the younger generation, just so they can justify their obscene pay days.

I mean here's Oldberg sneering while he cashes in and then there's Big E who went out of his way to be there for a kid who was about to be told horrific news. I mean for **** sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

I'm starting to wonder if dismissive bravado is the mask for these insecure oul lads having digs at the younger generation, just so they can justify their obscene pay days.

I mean here's Oldberg sneering while he cashes in and then there's Big E who went out of his way to be there for a kid who was about to be told horrific news. I mean for **** sake.

Whats the Big E thing you’re referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭ThePott

Amanda Huber (Brodie Lee's wife) talked about the last days of her husband and mentioned about how Big E and Cody were Brodie Lee Jr's favourite wrestlers so they were there when she told her son that Brodie had passed to make it easier for him.

TimesArrow wrote: »
    Whats the Big E thing you’re referring to?

Amanda Huber asked Cody Rhodes and Big E to fly in and be with her when she broke the news to young Brodie that his father had passed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

https://twitter.com/LanceStorm/status/1354879298956496899Lance Storm breaking down a match for a guy coming up. Well worth the read

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭weareallmarks

Goldberg said it, undertaker said it on rogan. They make it look like a dance now, it used to be a struggle. There is a reason why wwe go back to goldberg / oldies. Because people actually watched them. AEW brought sting in for the same reason.

Noone watches now in comparison to decades gone. Because everyone looks the same, talks the same, walks the same and make it look like an obvious performance instead of struggle.

BUT, it is all subjective, if you enjoy todays wrestling then fair play. The numbers are dropping....

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

Not sure how one plays into the other. I'm sure Goldberg does plenty of charity work and make a wish dream over the years.

jface187 wrote: »
    Not sure how one plays into the other. I'm sure Goldberg does plenty of charity work and make a wish dream over the years.

Im just saying when Goldberg makes comments like that it sounds like he thinks he's the standard the current generation need to strive for.

But someone like Big E has absolutely fcuk all to prove to him or anyone. Big E is over with fans and has demonstrated that he's actually a stellar human being. He may not be as over as Goldberg in his prime but WWE clearly don't operate in a way which requires any one person to reach that level anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,175 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Im just saying when Goldberg makes comments like that it sounds like he thinks he's the standard the current generation need to strive for.

But someone like Big E has absolutely fcuk all to prove to him or anyone. Big E is over with fans and has demonstrated that he's actually a stellar human being. He may not be as over as Goldberg in his prime but WWE clearly don't operate in a way which requires any one person to reach that level anymore.

As far as star power goes, shouldn't they be?

Whatever about human qualities, to be honest. Big E is a great guy but I fail to see what that has to do with things once the music hits.

When I'm watching wrestling I'm not constantly thinking "Are they a good person behind the scenes?" It's great if they are but generally, I don't care.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Ironically Big E is probably the biggest Goldberg fan on the roster and iirc big Bill would be his dream opponent at Mania

• Advertisement

You are both right,

Was Goldberg a great working? Probably not in many respects. He was sloppy, arrogant, selfish, a bully, and most certainly fair from an in ring technician.

He had a great look, a solid persona that hid his weaknesses and he was booked to look like a star.

In terms of presentation, he was presented to the audience like a star and made look like a star. Goldberg alone didnt make Goldberg. He had a lot going for him and the booking team and his opponents put him over huge.

Big E has a great look, his OTT personality is him up to 11 and hes connects well with fans. He is an entertaining man in the ring, no doubt.

Big E didnt get the same help that Goldberg did. He hasnt been booked as strong as Goldberg in WCW. Hes never gone over in a big match against a top tier talent. Hes never been booked in a way that makes him out to be a big deal or a top contender.

Thats the difference. Big E is not presented as a top tier star, Goldberg was and still is.

Reaching Goldbergs heights surely is the goal, the standard to set. Regardless of Big E's skills or connection with the audience, unless hes presented like a star or a top challenger, he wont reach those heights no matter how good he is.

WWE has had an evergreen issue making stars. Nothing is a slow build, everything is rushed. Drews rise... 3 months from Dec 2019 to March 2020. Before then he was in teh 50/50 booking. Kofi suffered this, only presented as a contender for Feb 2018 to Match 2018 before his big match.

WWE should be building 6/7 guys strongly each year from April at least until the Royal Rumble the next Jan, thats 6/7 possible contenders. Keep them all separate. Big E ha sonly started his rise (if it even is a rise), hes not ready yet. If he, or Keith Lee, or Sheamus or Adam Cole, or Daniel Bryan, Cesaro or Nakamaura or AJ wins the Rumble., then its too soon to be taking any of them serious as a contender as they have been hamstrung by booking until now.

No planning, no forward thinking.... just rush it come Jan.

Big E , nor anyone else above, will not reach Goildbergs heights no matter what he does unless hes booked right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

J. Marston wrote: »
    hits.

When I'm watching wrestling I'm not constantly thinking "Are they a good person behind the scenes?" It's great if they are but generally, I don't care.

To be fair, this is completely wrong when it comes to people like D Bryan or Cesaro. They are over with the fans because of how sound they are and how it is a shame they were /are overlooked respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

https://twitter.com/LanceStorm/status/1354879298956496899Lance Storm breaking down a match for a guy coming up. Well worth the read

Not too sure what to make of that.
    Has to be said that Lance is an amazing wrestler. He could teach you loads if you did his 3 month training thing he once offered.

That said many a famous wrestler has worked other unknown wrestlers into giving them money for old rope. Raven and IWW comes to mind. Charging like 50 euro to attend a "seminar" from him while all he did was look at his watch and try and sell his t-shirts to the lads. Many like him out there.

Sure, one could see this storm thing as a way to get critiqued and get better. Another could see it as a fool and their money.

Besides you only truly learn when you work with someone. Bringing you to the next level.
    Many a successful wrestler has attributed their knowledge or success to working with someone in a program. Or being with them on the road constantly taking in all the information.

... Not over a one hour zoom call.

Lance seems to be one of the good ones to be fair. Id say hes value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Agreed, Lance always comes across as someone that wants to give back and help out anyone that asks. If I was a wrestler and wanted feedback from someone, I'd be all over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,647 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Goldberg say Finn Balor is the future of the company.

Balor is nearly 40 lol

Smacruairi wrote: »
    To be fair, this is completely wrong when it comes to people like D Bryan or Cesaro. They are over with the fans because of how sound they are and how it is a shame they were /are overlooked respectively.

I don't think it's either one is over because there sound. When I became fans of them back in there ROH it was they were great at wrestling. Same as when they got to the WWE. Bryan was able to get himself over to a point that no one could deny. Cesaro sadly doesn't have the personality to get himself to that next point. It's really up to the WWE to use there booking/writing to help Cesaro to get to that point. If being honest Cesaro was never even a top guy in ROH, never won the belt and spent most of it tagging with Hero until to going to the WWE.

Don't think really most people care if someone is sound or not backstage. Steve Austin had a drinking problem and accusations of hitting Debra while he was on top and it hasn't affected his popularity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

jface187 wrote: »

Don't think really most people care if someone is sound or not backstage. Steve Austin had a drinking problem and accusations of hitting Debra while he was on top and it hasn't affected his popularity.

I can understand what you're saying but the landscape has changed a lot even in the last 5 years - how sound you are matters more. I say this because:
    A. Everyone is amazing in the ring now, ,pretty much everyone is miles ahead of the 80s in terms of work rate. Being a good wrestler isn't enough anymore.
    B. Social media, your Austin example above, if that comes out nowadays you're sacked. Just look at the speak out movement that correctly outed a load of pricks.
    C. The audience is at the smarkiest it's ever been. People make full careers out of talking about wrestling, not just big Dave M. It's no wonder then that when Seth whines on social media, everyone rails against him, whereas when Miro, Becky etc act sound, people went them pushed.
    D. External relationships - a lot of wrestlers, particularly in the mid card, push their streams and other shows. If people don't like them, they won't watch, which hits them in the wallet.

I'm not saying being sound is the be all end all, but there's a reason why half the locker room plays video games and does make a wish rather than doing drugs and smashing up hotel rooms.

Smacruairi wrote: »
    I can understand what you're saying but the landscape has changed a lot even in the last 5 years - how sound you are matters more. I say this because:
    A. Everyone is amazing in the ring now, ,pretty much everyone is miles ahead of the 80s in terms of work rate. Being a good wrestler isn't enough anymore.
    B. Social media, your Austin example above, if that comes out nowadays you're sacked. Just look at the speak out movement that correctly outed a load of pricks.
    C. The audience is at the smarkiest it's ever been. People make full careers out of talking about wrestling, not just big Dave M. It's no wonder then that when Seth whines on social media, everyone rails against him, whereas when Miro, Becky etc act sound, people went them pushed.
    D. External relationships - a lot of wrestlers, particularly in the mid card, push their streams and other shows. If people don't like them, they won't watch, which hits them in the wallet.

I'm not saying being sound is the be all end all, but there's a reason why half the locker room plays video games and does make a wish rather than doing drugs and smashing up hotel rooms.

You make some great points and things have changed. As someone who doesn't have anything to do with Wrestlers social and streaming it doesn't bother me as much as it would most other people.

• Advertisement

Goldberg say Finn Balor is the future of the company.

Balor is nearly 40 lol

Sounds like Bill googled indie darlings in WWE and Finn topped whichever list he fell upon.

Advertisement