Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I'm watching NXT right now and the commentary keep referring to Scarlett as "The Angel of Death" that's not a pro wrestling nickname, that's the title of a Dan Brown book.

It's dumb WWE speak that, if you haven't watched the product for years so as to numb the senses, contributes so much in making the product non-accessible and feel entirely unnatural to the point where you feel uncomfortable watching it.

I used to get hyped for NXT. When AEW popped up I still watched NXT first. I was very loyal to the brand at first.

Love Adam Cole, Garngano, and co. But when you see AEWs product, its so much more natutal and hasnt got the over hyped WWE marketing stink on it. Its a huge plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I used to get hyped for NXT. When AEW popped up I still watched NXT first. I was very loyal to the brand at first.

Love Adam Cole, Garngano, and co. But when you see AEWs product, its so much more natutal and hasnt got the over hyped WWE marketing stink on it. Its a huge plus.

The in ring is pretty solid, this main event tag is good stuff but it's dry. The atmosphere and vibe from the brand is bone dry and it's gone far too much in the direction of WWE ridiculousness than what it was originally. They're introducing a character thousands of years old and nobody bats an eyelid anymore.

The in ring is pretty solid, this main event tag is good stuff but it's dry. The atmosphere and vibe from the brand is bone dry and it's gone far too much in the direction of WWE ridiculousness than what it was originally. They're introducing a character thousands of years old and nobody bats an eyelid anymore.

I dont mind the 1000 year old character, Im intrigued if Im honest. I dont mind a bit of hokey if its done right.

I agree, the product is solid. There is a lot of enjoy. I enjoyed the Leon Ruff title story, UE vs Pat McAffee's group was enjoyable. Ive enjoyed Finn's run even if it is a fair bit underwhelming. The matches are always solid. Balor, Cole, UE, Thatcher, Fantasma and co, Swerve Kushida, Gargano, Sharai, Moon, Storm, Maverick, Imperium, Dunne (minus his awful spray tan... yikes), an extremely talented roster who all deliver in the ring. They arguably have a better roster than AEW

But the problems way it down.

It suffers from the WWE presentation. The commentary isnt as good. At least Mauro brought some life to it, its very WWE by the numbers now. Barrett seems neutered, Phoenix is hopeless and a token hire and they all spewed teh unnatural WWE speak.

The storylines feel rushed and big matches are thrown out to counter program with AEW. The whole product feels like its spinning its wheels.

The also suffer from having the main roster ceiling. Its still feels like a step below the main roster in terms of how important its presented.

Also having guys like Theory and Dream booked is a turn off, even if they arent as guilty of their crimes. The mud has stuck.

There was reports going around that Cesaro's contract was up after Wrestlemania. One guy I'd love to see in AEW but the observer says that he either signed or verbally agreed a new deal a few weeks ago :(

There was reports going around that Cesaro's contract was up after Wrestlemania. One guy I'd love to see in AEW but the observer says that he either signed or verbally agreed a new deal a few weeks ago :(

Another guy who should have been pushed years ago. I feel WWE dont see enough of him as a personality.

Phenomenal wrestler.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I feel WWE dont see enough of him as a personality.

Phenomenal wrestler.

Considering Vince thinks he's 2 Swiss to connect to the American audience says it all.

Loughc wrote: »
    Considering Vince thinks he's 2 Swiss to connect to the American audience says it all.

I think thats bollox. Vince has no issue pushing foreigners.

Ive seen blander people being pushed harder so I see no reason why Cesaro didnt deserve a strong push in his prime.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I think thats bollox. Vince has no issue pushing foreigners.

I dunno, Big Dave Meltzy reported it and a few lads on Twitter echo'd those reports as well.

Loughc wrote: »
    I dunno, Big Dave Meltzy reported it and a few lads on Twitter echo'd those reports as well.

Since when have you believed Dave, thought you felt he was the biggest spoofer going?

Since when have you believed Dave, thought you felt he was the biggest spoofer going?

Vince said it himself about Cesaro on Steve Austin's podcast on the Network, when Vince was the first guest.

But yes big Dave Meltz is a spoofer. But loads of other people here believe in him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The whole too swiss comment is balls :p
    That's just Vince's way of saying he doesn't see anything in him. Sure he's good enough to have a job but he hit the glass ceiling.
    ... Actually, I take the word "glass" back - don't think that's right to use when your boss goes on his own programming to say how you won't get over :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 60,647 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd say Cesaro is a company man now and he will sign a new contact that keeps him in the same position as he slowly move into a part time producer role over the length of his new contract.

Vince might not see star in him however he will see a great producer who can put matches together in him.

I'd say Cesaro is a company man now and he will sign a new contact that keeps him in the same position as he slowly move into a part time producer role over the length of his new contract.

Vince might not see star in him however he will see a great producer who can put matches together in him.

Hes also perfectly fine in his position. Hes never been booked awfully to be fair but just never given a main event chance.

Id buy him as a company man, but I would love to see him in AEW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Looks that way. They've had a couple of opportunities to push him when he felt hot (the Cena match on Raw, coming off the Zayn matches, right at the big swing got kinda hot) but they never did. He's been slotted mainly as a tag guy. I'm probably not surprising anyone when I say that he could have been far more than he's been in WWE.

One of the matches I think about the most involving him was a BOLA match against Ricochet that I swear blew my mind. Watching those two guys on that night, you never would've been able to convince me both would end up as undercard/mid card fodder.

Looks that way. They've had a couple of opportunities to push him when he felt hot (the Cena match on Raw, coming off the Zayn matches, right at the big swing got kinda hot) but they never did. He's been slotted mainly as a tag guy. I'm probably not surprising anyone when I say that he could have been far more than he's been in WWE.

One of the matches I think about the most involving him was a BOLA match against Ricochet that I swear blew my mind. Watching those two guys on that night, you never would've been able to convince me both would end up as undercard/mid card fodder.

He rarely has a poor match. I just love the guy personally. That Cena match was great for a TV match, probably WWEs last great TV match (I may be wrong here).

His BOLA match with Ric was jaw droppingly good. These two could easily be in a top Mania match had they been booked better.

Its criminal how badly booked new talent is in WWE. The talent they have is amazing.

I had hopes for Cesaro after his Mania battle Royal win. Never felt that WWE were truly behind him following that, which is a huge missed chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

When he won the Andre Battle Royal at WM he was getting great responses. Cesaro Section and all that. Then they put him with Heyman and that looked grand but then.... they just talked about Brock all the time. Was so weird. Remember he beat World Champ Orton on SD clean as a whistle also. Shame.

Would have loved Cesaro to have popped up in MLW to square off with Jacob Fatu or Hammerstone.

Omackeral wrote: »
    When he won the Andre Battle Royal at WM he was getting great responses. Cesaro Section and all that. Then they put him with Heyman and that looked grand but then.... they just talked about Brock all the time. Was so weird. Remember he beat World Champ Orton on SD clean as a whistle also. Shame.

It was like they just forgot about him. He was getting over.

The pairing with Heyman didnt work, because as you said the Brock factor. He was an after thought in his own programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Would have loved Cesaro to have popped up in MLW to square off with Jacob Fatu or Hammerstone.

Cesaro/Fatu is the match I didn't know I needed! Would be a cracker.

Amongst all the inter-promotional news it might have been missed that MLW World Middleweight champion Lio Rush is going one on one against AAA Cruiserweight champion Laredo Kid in a champion vs champion match on next week's episode, which should also be a cracker.

The less said about this weeks Baklei Brawl the better though, was brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Butch Reed who was known as the natural in wwe and as a member of doom with Ron Simmons in WCW, and as hacksaw butch Reed in mid south wrestling has died.

• Advertisement

Lio Rush is phenomenal. Could watch him all day.

Another criminally misused talent in WWE.... though I enjoyed his title run. Some fun matches with Garza.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Lio Rush is phenomenal. Could watch him all day.

Another criminally misused talent in WWE.... though I enjoyed his title run. Some fun matches with Garza.

I really enjoyed him as Lashley's mouthpiece, he's great in the ring too. Big talent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

He also seems to be a spoiled pup backstage. Did you alsosee that vid of him no selling the ladder table spot.takes some arrogance to even suggest that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭ThePott

That was Lio Rush in his Blackheart persona where he is meant to be a spooky no-selling thing not defending it but that's his justification for it I'm guessing. As far as backstage stuff, he probably has some valid points but I see both sides of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

https://twitter.com/dustinrhodes/status/1358502857851473930

Just got off the phone with Terry Funk. He is in a lot of pain and could use some prayers. One of the greatest #TrueLegends to ever be in the ting. Appreciate y'all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

They're introducing a character thousands of years old and nobody bats an eyelid anymore.

Thousands of years is nothing in fairness, Luchasaurus must be 65 million years old minimum :pac:

Lord TSC wrote: »

Just got off the phone with Terry Funk. He is in a lot of pain and could use some prayers. One of the greatest #TrueLegends to ever be in the ting. Appreciate y'all

Very sad news. One of the best faces ever and also one of the most despicable heels ever. So convincing, not many could make you believe they could be so good and so evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Lord TSC wrote: »

Hasn’t this last twelve months done enough ? Leave Terry funk alone.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Hasn’t this last twelve months done enough ? Leave Terry funk alone.

Sure retirement cant keep him down, Im sure neither will the almighty. (God not Lashley)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,647 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The future of WWE Pro celebrity wrestling

https://twitter.com/smoss/status/1358769259149729792?s=20

Advertisement