Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Sirsok wrote: »
    To be fair the place has become alot more livelier in recent times and thats a good thing.

Its a discussion forum, nothing is personal.

Sometimes there can be an air of high and mighty but sure thats everywhere on the Internet.

Its really the only forum I participate in. Things should not be an echo chamber.

If we don't like someone's take, so be it. They probably don't like yours. If you don't want to be challenged on opinion then don't give someone the opportunity to do so.

I agree it is livelier now than when I joined and that's a good thing because this place was dying a death. And I hope the increased chat and non WWE stuff encourages people like Beakerjoe, RollieFingers or Nitro95 and others to stick around and post more because guys with that level of knowledge on the board.

And I agree. If you give a take on a public forum, be prepared to back it up. Last night, I can't remember who, someone said to me they'd not seen La Sombra outside of WWE. That's OK! If you've not seen something or don't know about something then say it and I'm sure if someone can send some recs their way they will. Elsewhere someone recommended I watch FREEDOMS, total blindspot for me, and sent me on a Google Drive of those shows. It was helpful and I appreciated it. I think we could do with more of that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Sirsok wrote: »
    But there are an infinite amount of ways that a character can be represented in television. And maybe we will look back on it as lazy, or maybe we will look at it as a positive step taken in Apollos development.

I mean storyline arcs are crucial to a television show. I look back at Bubba Dudley wanting to bring his Bully character to WWE, and WWE balking at the idea due to their Be A Star programme. However his tale on it, was for the whole thing to act as a redemption arc. Where he realises the error of his ways. Which in the grand scheme of things turns the narrative into a positive.

Maybe Apollo will eventually turn from an Angry African Man into a positive African role model over the next year. Its the beginning of a journey, let's ride with it instead of shouting it down.

I believe the gimmick in this case could have the same success without a military dressed goons or a spear. But they dont bother me, who am I to say if its offensive or not. Im personally not offended.

I like the new heel Apollo. Best thing hes done in WWE, though its a low bar.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I agree it is livelier now than when I joined and that's a good thing because this place was dying a death. And I hope the increased chat and non WWE stuff encourages people like Beakerjoe, RollieFingers or Nitro95 and others to stick around and post more because guys with that level of knowledge on the board.

And I agree. If you give a take on a public forum, be prepared to back it up. Last night, I can't remember who, someone said to me they'd not seen La Sombra outside of WWE. That's OK! If you've not seen something or don't know about something then say it and I'm sure if someone can send some recs their way they will. Elsewhere someone recommended I watch FREEDOMS, total blindspot for me, and sent me on a Google Drive of those shows. It was helpful and I appreciated it. I think we could do with more of that here.

This narrative has been brought up a lot on here recently and while I have no problem with healthy debate and people pointing out inaccuracies etc there are levels. People don't have to change their opinions or admit they are wrong after you point out what you believe are inaccuracies or partake in these debates. If these debates sprawl over multiple pages and derail a thread that is not something the other posters are likely to appreciate (plus when you have gotten to the stage of multiple pages of calling someone on an opinion maybe you're taking things a bit too far). If multiple threads get derailed in the same manner this becomes an even bigger issue. Also whether you are describing what you say as hot takes or whatever if it is done in a condescending, arrogant or "high and mighty" manner then you are kinda being a d!ck and even if you skirt other rules on boards and that is a pretty big one.

The mods here let a lot fly by the wayside (hence the mammoth amount of chat in thhis ***NO CHAT*** thread) so don't be a d!ck or that will change.

This narrative has been brought up a lot on here recently and while I have no problem with healthy debate and people pointing out inaccuracies etc there are levels. People don't have to change their opinions or admit they are wrong after you point out what you believe are inaccuracies or partake in these debates. If these debates sprawl over multiple pages and derail a thread that is not something the other posters are likely to appreciate (plus when you have gotten to the stage of multiple pages of calling someone on an opinion maybe you're taking things a bit too far). If multiple threads get derailed in the same manner this becomes an even bigger issue. Also whether you are describing what you say as hot takes or whatever if it is done in a condescending, arrogant or "high and mighty" manner then you are kinda being a d!ck and even if you skirt other rules on boards and that is a pretty big one.

The mods here let a lot fly by the wayside (hence the mammoth amount of chat in thhis ***NO CHAT*** thread) so don't be a d!ck or that will change.

Really the only one I can think of recently that spanned pages was the HOF one and I think we all saw by the end of that there was something more than dodgy happening and I bowed out at that stage.

I don't think I'm intentionally trying to skirt any rules. If anything I think I get a bad rep. Apparently I'm not supposed to post on WWE threads (even though I watch the stuff and I'm far kinder to it than a lot of people think) but there are others who go to the threads of other companies, only post negatively but nobody bats an eyelid. It's up to you guys to decide if that posting is in bad faith (and I think a post in today's thread was an obvious attempt at that) but I didn't fully engage and didn't derail the thread. If I posted in a similar fashion to this on other threads I feel a section of posters here would be in uproar.

Again, I think I've abided by mod instructions all the time I've posted here. But ultimately it comes down to what the mods want and if they don't want me to post here then OK, that's on you guys.

Since when are spears outdated?

They're used daily all over Africa and numerous other parts of the world. Two good friends of mine come from a village in Nigeria where spears are an essential part of daily life. Whenever they return home they use them.

Spears feature prominently and proudly on Coat of Arms all over Africa, certainly not a symbol of shame or embarrassment.

If you consider a spear to be backwards, it probably says more about you than it does about Apollo or WWE.

The accent is my biggest gripe with the gimmick, cannot abide when wrestlers flip-flop accents.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I personally don't want anyone to stop posting tbh and I definitely don't think that was what Bounty Hunter was getting at, but there's a difference between debate and discussion - and just back and forth bickering which does seem to seep into a lot of threads recently.

And I'm not aiming that at any one poster in particular (lord knows I was guilty of it myself recently), just a general thing I've noticed on a couple of threads here recently. Like I have said before, being critical is not something I have an issue with - lord knows WWE deserve nearly ALL the criticism they get and more these days, and AEW is doing things differently which a lot of people seem to like.

I agree with the posts in the AEW thread that the recent PPV doing well is good for pro wrestling tbh, while they are not my cup of tea in particular I absolutely want the company to do well to at least try and force some sort of tangible, actual change in WWE instead of the mundane sh1te they produce on a regular basis because of the lack of competition and having big money TV deals.

Since when are spears outdated?

They're used daily all over Africa and numerous other parts of the world. Two good friends of mine come from a village in Nigeria where spears are an essential part of daily life. Whenever they return home they use them.

Spears feature prominently and proudly on Coat of Arms all over Africa, certainly not a symbol of shame or embarrassment.

If you consider a spear to be backwards, it probably says more about you than it does about Apollo or WWE.

The accent is my biggest gripe with the gimmick, cannot abide when wrestlers flip-flop accents.

Mobile phones and laptops are used widely in Nigeria too. They've got their own cultural icons along with access to worldwide celebrities, they've got culture that, the moment WWE decided to go with this idea, was always going to be boiled down to a stereotype that is way outdated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Really the only one I can think of recently that spanned pages was the HOF one and I think we all saw by the end of that there was something more than dodgy happening and I bowed out at that stage.

I don't think I'm intentionally trying to skirt any rules. If anything I think I get a bad rep. Apparently I'm not supposed to post on WWE threads (even though I watch the stuff and I'm far kinder to it than a lot of people think) but there are others who go to the threads of other companies, only post negatively but nobody bats an eyelid. It's up to you guys to decide if that posting is in bad faith (and I think a post in today's thread was an obvious attempt at that) but I didn't fully engage and didn't derail the thread. If I posted in a similar fashion to this on other threads I feel a section of posters here would be in uproar.

Again, I think I've abided by mod instructions all the time I've posted here. But ultimately it comes down to what the mods want and if they don't want me to post here then OK, that's on you guys.

If you wish to discuss moderation please PM a mod. If you want a certain post looked into by mods (you mentioned a certain post) please report said post.

I am kindly asking to try to keep things within reason (the levels) in terms of your debates/calling people on their takes as you have referred to it and hoping that you can do so without being a d!ck. Hopefully that is not too difficult.

On the topic of Apollo, I am just happy he is doing something different that makes him stand out and that the company are actually trying with him even if it does somewhat come off as a stereotype. I hope Apollo himself is having a strong say in terms of this character

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I don't know the context, but apparently Jim Cornette called Penelope Ford a slut, and it's drawn Miro's attention/ire. 2nd tweet is then aimed at Cornette and those of his ilk..

https://twitter.com/ToBeMiro/status/1370828638392700929

https://twitter.com/ToBeMiro/status/1370830049994141699

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭ThePott

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,349 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I do love some Cornette bashing, nasty piece of work and deserves that lovely burn from Penelope

• Registered Users Posts: 60,649 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He said Miro is paired with a kid who looks like he is in middle school and his slutty girlfriend.

Cornette getting the publicity he wants out of it.

The Louisville Lip never lost it.

He has had All Petite Wrestling on strings for yonks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭ThePott

• Registered Users Posts: 39,948 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The Louisville Lip never lost it.

He has had All Petite Wrestling on strings for yonks.

Living rent free in the heads of some of their fan base and wrestlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Living rent free in the heads of some of their fan base and wrestlers.

That's it, I seen someone earlier say they wished the WWE wrestlers came to Dana Brooke's "aid" when Cornette was abusing her. But the difference is that the WWE roster wouldn't it bat an eyelid at Cornette and his schtick.

It's something I've noticed in general about the AEW roster; they get way too involved in stupid sh1t on Twitter and the like. TK needs to tell them to cop on and ignore.

That's it, I seen someone earlier say they wished the WWE wrestlers came to Dana Brooke's "aid" when Cornette was abusing her. But the difference is that the WWE roster wouldn't it bat an eyelid at Cornette and his schtick.

It's something I've noticed in general about the AEW roster; they get way too involved in stupid sh1t on Twitter and the like. TK needs to tell them to cop on and ignore.

Dude only a few weeks ago the WWE roster lost it's s*** because Natalya didn't understand that dopey pyramid game that every social media account does and Randy Orton and others are embroiled in a feud with mid 2000's rapper Soulja Boy. Probably not the best timing for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Not just the AEW roster by any means, people below a certain age in general on social media are far too easily triggered.

Corny should have just said that she dressed like a sex worker. That way he's getting his point across in an empowering way :pac:

Dude only a few weeks ago the WWE roster lost it's s*** because Natalya didn't understand that dopey pyramid game that every social media account does and Randy Orton and others are embroiled in a feud with mid 2000's rapper Soulja Boy. Probably not the best timing for this.

I think the point still stands as just taking the last week alone I saw Tony Khan himself get into it on Twitter with some YouTube nobody.

I've seen Omega and Cody get into spats on Twitter as well with the dregs of Twitter. I'm sure you'll point to somebody on the WWE side doing the same thing but Khan, Omega and Cody are at the top of AEW. You wouldn't see Vince, Reigns and McIntyre get into the same silly sh1t.

I think the point still stands as just taking the last week alone I saw Tony Khan himself get into it on Twitter with some YouTube nobody.

I've seen Omega and Cody get into spats on Twitter as well with the dregs of Twitter. I'm sure you'll point to somebody on the WWE side doing the same thing but Khan, Omega and Cody are at the top of AEW. You wouldn't see Vince, Reigns and McIntyre get into the same silly sh1t.

I mean dude Randy Orton's a top guy and he's involved in one right now.

Anyway that the discourse is "oh Corny is winding them up, was a lovable scamp" rather than "this Cornette guy has serious misogyny and anger issues" is pretty disheartening.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Anyway that the discourse is "oh Corny is winding them up, was a lovable scamp" rather than "this Cornette guy has serious misogyny and anger issues" is pretty disheartening.

Personally I don't care for Cornette, he belongs in a different era and should just stay there tbh, but people reacting to him all the time just gives him more oxygen and thus the circle continues.

I mean dude Randy Orton's a top guy and he's involved in one right now.

Don't think I mentioned my opinion on Cornette anyway.

One can think they should have ignored him while also believing Cornette was well out of order.....again. Problem is they've given him the type of reaction he wanted and indeed, he's already responded to Miro pimping what his reaction is going to be on his podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I enjoy his take on wrestling. Sometimes it seems he is playing a bit of a character in the fact he doesn't take joy from alot of stuff.

But on his points concerning logic, I find myself agreeing with him.

For instance the Jericho and MJF beating up Young Bucks father. That was a good take, especially if they just turn Jericho face. Would Young Bucks not still have a grudge to bare. I appreciate the story still has room for development but I don't think they will go back to that. It was a way to got shot the fued , but possibly shortsighted

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭hynesie08

As a historian, cornette is untouchable, he is a legitimate fountain of knowledge of all things wrestling.

As a critic, he knows his audience, and a lot of people hate listen to find reasons to attack him, but a lot of times he makes sense, I remember him explaining a spot during PnP/best friends and it made complete sense, but of course it was "old man shouts at cloud". I wouldn't put him anywhere near a booking committee, but he could be an asset if he wanted to.

He absolutely says controversial things, and it nearly always seems to get him more eyes, ears and dollars.

I cannot believe that in 2021 "workers" are still being gotten to by him.

I don't think anyone can dispute that Cornette can and does often make sense wrt wrestling logic and history and in the exact same way no one can dispute that is is an unbearable asshat. He knows his fanbase and he knows how to play them and others.

It says a lot though that everyone is cool with Miro threatening to come to his house and Penelope bringing his wife into it when afaik she has zip to do with anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,176 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It says a lot though that everyone is cool with Miro threatening to come to his house and Penelope bringing his wife into it when afaik she has zip to do with anything.

If he's calling her a slut then it's fair game for her to talk shìt back at him.

J. Marston wrote: »
    If he's calling her a slut then it's fair game for her to talk shìt back at him.

Yup at him. I asked why is it ok to bring his wife into it. (And calling her (Penelope) a slut was not ok)

This isn't even to mention he was thrown out of NWA for a racist line on commentary.

Plus anything he's touched in wrestling since Smokey Mountain has been a disaster. His run as ROH booker is the stuff of legend (and not in a god way).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Why should they exactly?

If he’s talking utter crap about people then he should be called out on it? Comment on the wrestling not on the people themselves and that’s not ‘snowflake’ or ‘cancel culture’

He’s an man who has severely outdated views and has no place in modern wresting.

If some are okay with it, and even enjoy him talking down and insulting people for doinga job then fine, but people don’t need to take it either

No woman should have to ‘ignore’ being called a slut my an old man

Is her comment on his ‘preferences’ okay? No

Is it similar to him on multiple occasions making disparaging comments? Not in the slightest

• Advertisement

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Why should they exactly?

If he’s talking utter crap about people then he should be called out on it? Comment on the wrestling not on the people themselves and that’s not ‘snowflake’ or ‘cancel culture’

He’s an man who has severely outdated views and has no place in modern wresting.

If some are okay with it, and even enjoy him talking down and insulting people for doinga job then fine, but people don’t need to take it either

No woman should have to ‘ignore’ being called a slut my an old man

Is his comment on his ‘preferences’ okay? No

Is it similar to him on multiple occasions making disparaging comments? Not in the slightest

Well I was coming more from the angle of why waste your breath on Cornette rather than defending him.

Just to be clear, in no way do I condone Cornette's unfortunate all too often outbursts. Once the guy start calling people pedophiles I was done taking him seriously.

Advertisement