Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

Getting?

But yeah typical stuff from Tommy. He talked about wrestling being corny. Did you hear the "joke" he got in trouble for? Was like a hack from the 70s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,070 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Have you never seen Tommy Tiernan’s show before? It was completely standard stuff

In what way? He licked the hole off the women on after Becky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Oops!

Small bit of a difference between the 2 guests

• Advertisement

Not to assume but I guess Callaway 92 was saying that's Tommy style. But it's not really.

It's also basically the automatic non wrestling fan response of "sure it all fake, look at them gobshites" stuff we all heard before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,199 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Probably a chip on my shoulder as a wrestling fan but it's a little annoying how her, Sheamus and Finn aren't treated as a bigger deal in Ireland. Yes, wrestling is niche but they're big names in a worldwide sense. Becky main evented Mania, Sheamus is one of the most decorated guys ever in WWE and Finn.....has amazing abs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Oops!

Maby over in the US, yes. But its just not as main stream here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Yep I’m the same. They are three great ambassadors for the country and far better than some of the shitehawks that are famous for no good reason. Becky, sheamus, and Finn are people you’d want young people to look up to.

• Advertisement

Tbh the only Irish media that acknowledge WWE's existence unless there's some scandal are Gavan Reilly and Richard Chambers. Aside from that they just don't get mentioned.

And yeah it is a shame as they are examples of Irish people who have perfected and honed their craft and managed to become successful. But because to the lay person wrestling is just "fake fighting" it's ignored by most. Ironically the same people will happily watch hours of Love Island and still look down their nose at wrestling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,605 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Don't Newstalk have an occasional 'Wrestling podcast' ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I hate the fake fighting phrase. It’s pre determined not fake. Let the crowd who use that try and take a flat back bump and see how fake it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Well that interview was awkward. Even if you not a wrestling fan, you gotta admire how someone like Becky was able achieve her dream as a wrestler.

AFAIR Sheamus was on The Late Late Show, that was about the biggest media attention over here, also VM news did talk about Clash at the Castle with Sheamus but as top stars of the sport, all former world champs they deserve top headlines attention etc., at home, you'd think some magazines here would have them as cover stars etc.,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Being on Sky Sports and, now, BT Sports in the early hours of a Tuesday morning limits their exposure over here. Over there, they are on prime-time TV on a basic cable channel that could be comparable to being on Sky One at 8 pm on a Monday night.

No, Reilly and Chambers have their own unaffiliated podcast (Zara King is involved too I think) that happens to talk about wrestling the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I just watched Becky on Tommy Tiernan. I didn't think he was that rude to her at all. He clearly doesn't know anything about wrestling and had preconceptions about it but so do most people. The premise of the show is that he doesn't know who he's going to meet and he often doesn't know who they are so he's a bit puzzled at first. He definitely warmed up to Becky as they got chatting and he got to know her a bit. As you would because Becky is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,189 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Watched it on the Player. Some awkward silences and yeah some ignorance but well handled but he wasn't exactly convincing when he said he would check it out.

Wonder if she was allowed to promote where Wrestlemania was airing since not on RTE. Like was she there to promote the event or was she just there because she wanted home for a visit?

We don't have many chat shows they could appear on. Think Jericho or someone was on Ireland AM before though only remotely. Becky would be good on the Graham Norton show I think. But they only have wrestlers on like The Rock or Cena and that's to promote their films.

Was listening to the audience reaction when she was announced, but it sounded like a standard reaction. Couldn't hear any one louder than others as you might expect from a fan. Did find his confusion funny when he heard "The Man" and then a woman's name. I guess these days he could get in trouble for showing confusion about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Sheamus was on the Late Late once years ago. Yeah, the old gender and pronouns topic is dangerous territory at the moment. Becky probably couldn't remember at that moment what channel WWE is on and how we are supposed to watch Mania over here. It seemed like it was more of a personal appearance for her rather than a promotion for Mania.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

By getting I mean they are not pretending anymore just look at Steve austin show where they talk about everything now. Tommy talked like an average person with preconceived notions. He seemed to be turning at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

There are a lot of Irish who are top but do not get great recognition because as you say its niche

They're unquestionably two of the biggest Irish stars on the planet.

I definitely think the whole niche wrestling thing and being based in America holds their acclaim back at home. It's not as if both made it big in Ireland and then went abroad. Both were plucked from the obscure wrestling circuit that even wrestling fans wouldn't know much about.

Not only very accomplished in the business but I find both also come across brilliantly in media. Two great ambassadors.

Did Becks raid Seth or Harry Styles wardrobe, omg at those shoes 😄

VM2 or VM3 airs Raw highlights and SD highlights shows at weekends

I remember RTE 2 aired a Fergal aka Finn documentary about his time in NJPW before he signed with WWE a few years back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,189 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Becky did seem to appreciate the offer of being referred to as Rebecca Quinn at the end. As she said, it's not often the name is used.

I do always wonder about that, as I think I've said before. How they switch between names when talking among themselves offscreen and then onscreen. I'd say it's at a point where they mightn't instantly react to being called by their real names. Like if you saw Sheamus and shouted "Stephen!" would he react?

So will we get the tag title match Becky mentioned?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Twitter is a blaze that now that Vince has paid back the WWE for his sexual misconduct payments he has completely resumed full control of creative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Hang on, that doesn't make sense. They got in trouble because he paid the money from his own pocket rather than using WWE's money because according to the SEC it was a business expense and so should have come from WWE coffers. Something off there i think.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Advertisement

It'll be painfully obvious if Vince is back in charge completely tbh. Hopefully it's just Twitter being Twitter but it won't take too long for us to figure it out. Especially with the amount of wrestling this week!

Advertisement