Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭ThePott

Honestly, if they are going to do Rock/Roman, Punk/Cody is not the worst call. Cody can always 'finish the story' at Summerslam. Especially after that promo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I disagree, I think we got cheated last year with the finish to Cody v Reigns, makes more sense for Cody to get that wrestlemania moment for such a significant title change!

Punk v Cody or reigns v rock can sellout Summerslam regardless

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Agree with this.

To me the Big manias should be the changing of the guards scenario.

WMX - Bret Hart beating Yokozuna after yokos monster run

WMXX - Eddie and Benoit ending the night as champions ending HHH run of terror

WMXXX - Daniel Bryan

WM40 should be Cody ending Reigns reign of terror otherwise it won’t have the same impact at a summerslam or WM41.

Rock Reigns would easily be a MASSIVE main event for WM41 with no title on the line needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,055 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It's now or never imho for Cody to win the title off Reigns, finish his story finally, Seth vs. Punk is another big money match

I'd have Gunther face Lesnar at WM

I agree that certainly in retrospect the title should have changed at Mania last year, or perhaps even Sami at EC.

I'm conflicted on it really, I think Mania should be the end of a big story and it is the biggest story going but at the same time I also think it should have the biggest matches imaginable and the biggest match is undoubtedly Rock/Roman.

• Advertisement

I think they need to leave it as is and push rock v Roman at SS... Give Cody the mania moment... Have the rock intervene at the end of the main event (similar to Austin at backlash all those years ago) to counteract bloodline interference and set that match up there and then

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I disagree Rock vs Roman is the bigger match tbh. Mainly cause I don't think either gets much from winning, and WWE doesn't get that big moment either.

Rock wins? He's the one to end that massive streak? And now you've got an older, part timer, with very limited ability to wrestle nowadays, as your champion?

Or Reigns wins, and the Bloodline stuff continues to just meander along.

Neither result does much for the company now. And it's not going to be a barn burner, cause Rocky can't really go that much.

Whereas Cody beating Roman gives us capstones to both Cody's "Finish the Story" narrative, it gives the Bloodline story a proper payoff, and then it provides a path to Roman vs Rock as well, since Rock can now taunt Roman for losing it. Rock vs Roman doesn't need the title at all. It works better as a story about family, arrogance and respect.

Cody's story needs the title now, and the whole justification of not doing it last year was that we'd get this massive pay off to it this year. Cody vs Roman is the bigger story AND bigger match.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Cody being the cover star of the new game indicates to me he'll be in the main event at Mania. I know that isn't great logic but the game is out about a month prior to Mania and Showcase mode is '40 years of Wrestlemania' so the main event will be set by then.

If they are going to do Rock vs Roman at Mania, he'll have to drop the title very soon (ie at the Rumble Saturday) so what might happen is...

Cody wins the Rumble going back to back for the first time since Austin in 97/98

Orton wins the title from Reigns through Rock related shenanigans.

Cody goes after Orton to finish his story which plays into the whole Legacy background and their own history/friendship. Cody wins and it signifies a changing of the guard while giving Orton a huge Mania match and possible last run with the strap after his lengthy lay off.

Reigns goes on to face Rock for 'Head of the Table' moniker

Punk wins EC in Perth and challenges Seth for the other world title (assuming he's good to go in time).

Or alternatively I'm talking absolute nonsense and none of the above happens😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Reigns will not lose the title at Rumble. It's not even in the next realm of possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

It be wasted to lose it in a random fatal four way no one's really invested in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,289 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

we're all thinking like marks.

i said previously that Rock v Roman should be in Oz at Elimination Chamber if it's going to happen, but you know what, that's me thinking like a fan, and as someone who is sort of invested in Cody's story. But that's not the bottom line, I'm afraid.

Rock v Roman is the biggest match they can do. By a mile. Whether it'd be crap or not is another thing, but it's absolutely massive. It has huge mainstream appeal. From a hype perspective, and making the company look like a giant deal, they can't do anything bigger - and that will mean doing it at Wrestlemania. In the grand scheme of things, Cody's story is of secondary importance. If Rock wants to do the match, and he only wants or can to do it at Wrestlemania, then you're not saying no I'm afraid. Cody's story can wait.

Also, have any of us considered that it is not Cody's story? Maybe 'Cody's Story' is red herring - that in fact the entirety of Cody's story, Punk's return (the return of the OG Paul Heyman guy), Jey leaving the Bloodline, that it all, actually, feeds into ROMAN'S story. That WWE is actually telling the story of -Tribal Chief, Head of The Table, conqueror of all of WWE, the one who has put bums back in seats for everybody, the one who has done everything he set out to do - conquering WWE in every single aspect, records and all? Maybe they all feed into HIS story?

It's not beyond the realms of possibility.

But either way, they are clearly pivoting towards Rollins v Gunther and Cody v Punk, so it at least looks like Roman is free for the Rock match. now, of course the Cody/Punk segment could be a longer play towards Cody (c) v Punk at Summerslam, but I'm not convinced.

Kevin Patrick has been released by WWE.

For obvious reasons, I really wanted to like him, but he really never clicked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Likewise I wanted him to do well but found him cringeworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,198 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Vince is done this time. They managed to put some veil of ambiguity around the previous allegations but that's gone now.

https://archive.ph/t5H3A#selection-2435.17-2439.31

Disgusting article. They should throw that horrendous gargoyle into the f'n sea.

Naming of Brock in the article though, not so sure he'll face any repercussions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,217 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

He should’ve done the first time but he was the majority shareholder so was never really gone. The board told him to not come back.

I assume Brock is back soon, maybe even at the RR, might delay it now perhaps as the story is everywhere

Vince really is a cretin of the highest order but none of what's been said is surprising!

Even last year sums him up when he made his comeback after walking way initially because he felt like he was poorly advised and board members walked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Ridley

I reckon, beyond "I'm in the Royal Rumble, please watch", the Gunther thing was seeding his being the face of Bash in Berlin. As much as I appreciate the current clarity of purpose with storylines these days™ (post-Vince's whims, presumably), there's an irritating habit at the moment of saying what the upcoming matches will be then trying to blur them closer to the time. Like, Punk/Rollins and Rock/Reigns is on the way and has been for months then they™'re trying to say all these others could win the Rumble? Do it the other way around!

With Reigns, I do wonder if this is his retirement run. Where do you go after dropping that title? Losing rematches? Going back to a shorter run? Personally, I'm content for the streak to keep going but I don't blame anyone for being sick of it by now.

An idea with Rock/Reigns or the Rollins/Rhodes match I don't think is happening would be to either have Rock win and the Anoa'is destroy each other the next Raw then Priest cashes in on the wreckage, or have Rhodes 'finish the story' then Priest cashes in on him. I'm lukewarm on Priest being champion but you can treat it as a soft reboot/beginning of new era (*eyes Netflix*) and takes the weight off the current emphasis on all this record breaking, complete-my-career booking.

Also, I miss being able to paste quotes into other threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,774 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Card subject to change

So no Seth, Punk, Roman, Rock, Brock, Logan Paul or Gunther now for EC in Australia.

None of the major mens singles titles will be on the card that they were charging crazy prices for in a city that is hard to get to for most Australians.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yet as of a week ago they have sold 45k tickets, people go to a WWE event for the experience not the card.

Yeah, I can't imagine a depleted WWE PPV card would mean much for ticket sales. People will go because getting an actual televisied event over in that end of the world is such a rarity, and with a depleted card, you're probably going to get SOME level of surprise or cool moment to compensate.

Might affect PPV buy rates, if that's still a thing. Or maybe affect the NEXT show. But I'd wager it's going to be a massive, massive crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,188 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭hynesie08

In the process of getting his US residency so had to surrender his passport to the embassy, can't leave the states till it's cleared.

I think he can't travel for 6 months, I think I read that around Crown Jewel time over visa issues as in getting US residency etc.,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,590 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

His NJPW contract officially ends today and all his merchandise is NJPW branded.

NJPW are very protective of there trademarks and who can earn from them.

PW Tees owner who made the post basically confirmed this was the case. Not indicative of any decision made regarding his future.

• Advertisement

On a lighter note Solo Sikoa deactivated his twitter because of “Math”.

Advertisement