Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭savemejebus

J. Marston wrote: »
    Punk showing again what a miserable prick he is. In a tweet that has now been deleted, he replied to a nothing comment from Miz on Backstage with...

"Go suck a blood money covered dick in Saudi Arabia, you fùcking dork."

guess he hasn't forgiven Miz for main eventing WM and taking the piss (with ziggler) out of his first UFC drubbing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Do people not think there's a chance that "response" from Punk isn't just an (admittedly poor) attempt at a joking response?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Do people not think there's a chance that "response" from Punk isn't just an (admittedly poor) attempt at a joking response?

Don't think so. Punk buried Miz on his DVD years ago too.

I may be reaching but I'd say Punk can't stand that Miz reached the pinnacle of wrestling in the Mania main event despite starting off as a reality TV star while Punk took the more "worthy" route of bingo halls and never had that one crowning acheivement of a Mania main event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

J. Marston wrote: »
    and never had that one crowning acheivement of a Mania main event.

Yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I think people like CM Punk because he was saving grace of when the product was very stale. If he ever decides to come back a lot of people are going to think that he will change the current product yet again.

Him being a bitter and harsh bollox has always been endearing to me; must be because I can relate to it. :pac:

He was probably being a little bit too harsh here on this occasion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,638 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I love it more that it was The Miz in character with a cheesy promo that wound him up enough to lose his sh1t twitter and show off what a spiteful hateful man he really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Personally I don't know why people like Punk. Known to be some dickhead for many years now. Even before he left WWE.

Because unless you know him personally, what does it matter if he's a dickhead?

Steve Austin had domestic assault charges from all 3 of his wives and was convicted on some of them. Does anyone really care or do most people just love him anyway?

Punk is a prick, that is true. Punk is a tremendous performer, that is also true.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Trips has been named the Loudwire Metal Ambassador of the Decade

https://loudwire.com/wwe-triple-h-metal-ambassador-decade-interview/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Meltzer saying Io Shirai is unhappy in NXT and that Stardom are offering big money to her and Kairi Sane. Pinch of salt obviously as could very well be BS, but I hope it's true, would be great to see them back facing off against Mayu Iwatani again.

Meltzer saying Io Shirai is unhappy in NXT and that Stardom are offering big money to her and Kairi Sane. Pinch of salt obviously as could very well be BS, but I hope it's true, would be great to see them back facing off against Mayu Iwatani again.

Wouldn't be surprised; she's suffered the most from the Baszler reign of terror on NXT.

I really don't get why they stack their roster only to rinse and repeat the same stupid monster gimmick. Baszler was basically Brock which meant far too many talented women were jobbed to her. When she did finally lose it's to a similarly gimmicked character in Ripley. I wonder how much of the roster she'll trample on now?

• Advertisement

I really like dominant, long term champions in wrestling. Shows my age though. I guess if you came up on wrestling more recently you might like these 3 month reigns that leave no impact or memory.

Asuka & Shayna's NXT title reigns were my favourite runs in years. On the main roster, Punks year plus was probably the next best thing.

You like the even steven, everyone gets a turn approach better?

Would be a shame to see Io go. She's by far the most impressive female wrestler WWE have.

Monokne wrote: »
    I really like dominant, long term champions in wrestling. Shows my age though. I guess if you came up on wrestling more recently you might like these 3 month reigns that leave no impact or memory.

Asuka & Shayna's NXT title reigns were my favourite runs in years. On the main roster, Punks year plus was probably the next best thing.

You like the even steven, everyone gets a turn approach better?

Dominant, long term champions is what I want as well but variety is important.

You don't have to be the terminator to be a dominant champion. Punk was dominant as champion, holding the title for a record number of days. I'm sure Daniel Bryan would of had a long run as well in 2014 had injury not happened.

The likes of Shirai, Lá Rae, Knox and Dakota Kai could be dominant champions if allowed to be and they would offer variety because they all that good.

Personally I just wouldn't have followed Baszler with Ripley though I understand Ripley made her own push. Having said that, I don't think it was absolutely necessary to insert Ripley into NXT at a time when they had a roster of women where they just had to basically pick one to be the one to beat Baszler. LaRae or Shirai would have been perfect but that's just me. I'm a fan of Ripley since the first MYC but I didn't want to see her in that picture when there were so many more interesting avenues to explore.

Who do you think will take the title off her out of curiosity? Probably another monster they'll build up i.e. the usual craic with their booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I really like dominant, long term champions in wrestling

They only seem dominant and long term because of the other shorter reigns to compare them to

If every reign was to last a year, then it wouldnt seem like a long one if theyre all that length

You don't have to be the terminator to be a dominant champion. Punk was dominant as champion, holding the title for a record number of days. I'm sure Daniel Bryan would of had a long run as well in 2014 had injury not happened.

The likes of Shirai, Lá Rae, Knox and Dakota Kai could be dominant champions if allowed to be and they would offer variety because they all that good.

Personally I just wouldn't have followed Baszler with Ripley though I understand Ripley made her own push. Having said that, I don't think it was absolutely necessary to insert Ripley into NXT at a time when they had a roster of women where they just had to basically pick one to be the one to beat Baszler. LaRae or Shirai would have been perfect but that's just me. I'm a fan of Ripley since the first MYC but I didn't want to see her in that picture when there were so many more interesting avenues to explore.

Who do you think will take the title off her out of curiosity? Probably another monster they'll build up i.e. the usual craic with their booking.

I think she will be champion for a long time so it's difficult to speculate who will be around and/or hot at the time.

I'm not crazy into Rhea myself but I thought the audience response to her through November & December forced their hand and they had to put the title on her. I like Dakota Kai as a babyface but obviously they had other plans for her, and I don't think Candace was someone you'd be putting the title on. I feel like they had the belt on Shayna for as long as she was the best choice, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

Pretty sure D. Bryan was slotted to lose the title to Brock in 2014 at Summerslam before his injury. The plan was always to get to Brock/Roman as the WM main event in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ThePott

I think that's accurate I believe initially the 2014 Summerslam squash was meant to be Bryan and not Cena.

As for Io, I've seen the general story being that she's not happy being paid pittance in NXT which isn't much more than she was making in Stardom. She apparently isn't happy in Florida either and it isn't exactly what she pictured when she pictured working in America. Not to mention not getting to see her boyfriend.

Wouldn't be surprised if she left to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Really think champions should be no more than a half year reign or gets a bit stale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭HanFiredFirst

I would take the Miz over Punk any day of the week a whole lot more entertaining than a bitter Punk.

ThePott wrote: »
    I think that's accurate I believe initially the 2014 Summerslam squash was meant to be Bryan and not Cena.

As for Io, I've seen the general story being that she's not happy being paid pittance in NXT which isn't much more than she was making in Stardom. She apparently isn't happy in Florida either and it isn't exactly what she pictured when she pictured working in America. Not to mention not getting to see her boyfriend.

Wouldn't be surprised if she left to be honest.

This is so far from what Dave actually said. You see this happen often and this is a perfect example of it:

Dave says something on audio -
    Half of one sentence in one paragraph is taken out of context by a newz site to create a story that isn't really there-
    People on social media expound on the already out of context statement to make a bigger story out of the story that wasn't really there in the first place -

Dave didn't say she was unhappy. He said he didn't know if she was happy or unhappy.

Her guaranteed money in WWE is way, way higher than it was in Stardom, but in Stardom she had the opportunity to earn tons of merch money that all went in her pocket, which obviously she no longer has. So she earns slightly less, but - and this is key - she knew that would be the case going in and decided to join WWE anyway. Because her next deal, the 'main roster' one (can we still use that term?) would obviously be a big increase.

I am not saying it's not feasible that Kairi or Io will end up in Stardom in 2 years time, but it's not likely any time soon, and there is no-one reputable reporting either are unhappy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'd heard that kairi was apparently home sick and finding it hard to adjust to America but that's the first I've heard about Io. I mean triple H clearly thinks highly of her and she is presented as a star in nxt and would be on raw or smackdown when she does go to one of them.

We'll probably get an idea in the coming weeks if she's pushed or not.

This is so far from what Dave actually said. You see this happen often and this is a perfect example of it
    I was just saying what I heard on Reddit. Does seem weird for Dave to say that he doesn't know if someone is happy or unhappy though, seems like a non-story in that case. That being said as far as making more money on main roster, are we even sure that main roster call-ups are likely to still be a thing anymore?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I'd heard that kairi was apparently home sick and finding it hard to adjust to America but that's the first I've heard about Io. I mean triple H clearly thinks highly of her and she is presented as a star in nxt and would be on raw or smackdown when she does go to one of them.

i also never knew she was engaged to Evil so can see why she would want to go home to Japan

ThePott wrote: »
    I was just saying what I heard on Reddit. Does seem weird for Dave to say that he doesn't know if someone is happy or unhappy though, seems like a non-story in that case. That being said as far as making more money on main roster, are we even sure that main roster call-ups are likely to still be a thing anymore?

Dave talks in these extraordinarily long, run on, train of thought sentences. It makes him ripe for out of context quotes, but to be absolutely fair to those quoting, sometimes his manner of speaking is so protracted and ambiguous it genuinely can be hard to understand what he is saying, and some of the time - which may be the case here - you get the impression he is being deliberately non-committal so he's right whichever way the wind blows.

The Peyton Royce clusterf*ck is the perfect example. He was trying to reference her breast implants and instead ambiguously noted something about her being bigger. If you listen to Dave all the time you could tell what he was getting at but the way he worded it, he opened himself up to a slaughtering.

That's fair. I do find with Meltzer especially lately that he is non-commital to the point that he can basically say he's right either way. I do respect his opinion as someone who's been involved in wrestling for so long and has a pretty educated opinion.

As for what he said about Io, I could see there being some logic and veracity to what he said but again whether any of it is provable or true at all is probably questionable.

Reading MLW could be landing on Showtime that would be some deal for them if they can land there.

Young Rock NBC Orders Sitcom About Dwayne Johnson's 'Formative Years'
    NBC is expanding its partnership with Titans Game host Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, placing a straight-to-series order for a sitcom about the wrestler-turned-actor’s tumultuous childhood, TVLine has learned.

Titled Young Rock, the project — which has snagged an 11-episode Season 1 order — will serve as an exec producer as well as a cast member. Per NBC, Johnson “will appear in each episode as the focus and inspiration of the series will be about his formative years.”

https://tvline.com/2020/01/11/young-rock-dwayne-johnson-childhood-sitcom-nbc/

• Advertisement

Any info on the alleged occurrence?

Advertisement