Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

sky88 wrote: »
    i actually think theres a better chance of disney just buying wwe then putting it on their Disney +

On this Dazn supposedly paying Bellator a 9 figure sum i mean if bellator can get that id imagine wwe could double what ever that figure is

Would US regulations allow them to buy out WWE? I only ask as they've only bought 21st Century Fox last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,640 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Disney own Fox and Disney own Hulu which has WWE content on it so I wouldn't be surprised to see it appear on Hulu.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Monokne wrote: »
    I probably sound like a broken record but I refer to this all the time. Every metric by which you measure popularity- ticket sales, online merch, at venue merch, ratings, youtube numbers, network subscribers is either moderately declining, plummeting, or at record lows.

It's a simple combination of oversaturation and bad creative. Vince's vision of wrestling appeals to less and less of his own audience each year and it doesn't create new viewers. To add to that, imagine you are not a wrestling fan and you happen across Raw and it piques your interest - are you going to commit to the 7 hours needed every Mon, Wed & Fri to watch all the WWE product? Probably not.

But the TV money is obscene so they are set and so is the pattern.

Who would have thought spending over 3 years trying to get roman reigns over as the main guy while sacrificing any other stars who were over would come back to haunt Vince.

The problem is they spent so long building up one guy they gave us nothing else to are about. They lose interest in everyone else but Roman.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,813 ✭✭✭✭briany

WWE are just going to continue doing what they're doing until some other promotion can come along and electrify the business. Trouble is that I don't see that happening. AEW wants to be that, but it's really just a combination of disgruntled former WWE employees and the best of the indies. They don't have anything zeitgeisty like the NWO was. Nothing that demands the attention of the casual audience. Just a lot of pandering to the smart marks.

We just have to face the fact that the audience for wrestling is declining generally. Why would people want to watch wrestlers pretend to fight, and make no secret of that, when you could watch people fight for real in the octagon, or watch any one of a hundred great shows on Netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Maybe they need more loser eats dog food matches...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

briany wrote: »
    WWE are just going to continue doing what they're doing until some other promotion can come along and electrify the business. Trouble is that I don't see that happening. AEW wants to be that, but it's really just a combination of disgruntled former WWE employees and the best of the indies. They don't have anything zeitgeisty like the NWO was. Nothing that demands the attention of the casual audience. Just a lot of pandering to the smart marks.

We just have to face the fact that the audience for wrestling is declining generally. Why would people want to watch wrestlers pretend to fight, and make no secret of that, when you could watch people fight for real in the octagon, or watch any one of a hundred great shows on Netflix?

The nWo was just a big heel turn that caught a rocket to the moon. They didn’t have the stable name until hogan cut the promo. AEW has more chance of repeating that then WWE as WWE is so scripted now they would most likely sack the performer for going off script rather then run with it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Would US regulations allow them to buy out WWE? I only ask as they've only bought 21st Century Fox last year.

I think they would allow it as it’s a different type of entertainment

• Registered Users Posts: 13,813 ✭✭✭✭briany

The nWo was just a big heel turn that caught a rocket to the moon. They didn’t have the stable name until hogan cut the promo. AEW has more chance of repeating that then WWE as WWE is so scripted now they would most likely sack the performer for going off script rather then run with it

It was a bit more than that. The arrival of The Outsiders signaled a departure into something more real, and the whole look of the NWO was something a good deal more cool, edgy and spontaneous than anything WWE was doing at the same time.

But this was also back in a time when people were just easier to shock. The same degree of heel turn, now, would be met with a lukewarm general response and a large online chorus of, "I thought it could have been done a little better..."

As for repeating it now, WWE have not the inclination, and AEW have not the wherewithal.

Mike and Maria had a baby boy how long before he wins the 24/7 title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Just to add - Vince elaborated on the potential of selling their PPV's to a major distributor and noted the deal could be announced soon.

I am going to guess that any potential partner - ESPN+, DAZN, Amazon Prime, Netflix Disney+, etc etc - would want to launch with Wrestlemania.

On this, Mike Johnson is reporting that DAZN are definitely interested and that Vince has been in conversations with NBC Universal - who are launching their own subscription service called Peacock - about moving the PPV's there.

I expect a deal gets done. These streaming companies are paying such absurd premiums and Vince always follows the money, whether it leads to his company diminishing in popularity (the extra hour of Raw), or massive public criticism (Saudi deal).

I have also read that the Barrios and Wilson arguments that led to them leaving may have been related to differing strategies on this issue, and also Barrios wanting to control spending to maximise profitability while Vince wants to stockpile talent with these absurd contracts being bandied about, the 700k a year Anderson/Gallows got being a prime example.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I don’t see them making the Network redundant, I see it being more like how PPVs over here are available on either the Network or Box Office: so more a case of subscribers to whatever service they go with also get access to it. That way they can double dip for PPVs instead of risking self-harm in killing their own streaming service. There’s no good reason to do it the other way unless they’re getting paid more than the entire takings they’re getting from the Network (seriously unlikely).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Buddy Murphy is now going by the name Murphy confirmed on his bio on WWE.com.

I’m surprised he lasted as long as he did with the name!

Shocking going back to just one name. What is Vince thinking sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Will he have an Irish gimmick now?
    I guess couldn't just go by Buddy as may be some confusion, especially around Christmas.
    But still don't understand why they're changing it, especially when his tag partner has a full name along with multiple nicknames.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Will he have an Irish gimmick now?
    I guess couldn't just go by Buddy as may be some confusion, especially around Christmas.
    But still don't understand why they're changing it, especially when his tag partner has a full name along with multiple nicknames.

It’s to save time when announcing both together. Seth Rollins, “The Beast Slayer, The King Slayer, the architect, the Monday night messiah” and Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

"The Duke of Spook, the Doc of Shock, The Man With no Tan"

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

NJPW back in the United States during Summerslam weekend for Wrestle Dynasty.

https://www.njpw1972.com/71967

Whatculture are using Trevor as a reliable trustworthy source on AEW today :)

edit: add video of them talking about Trevor being the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Whatculture are using Trevor as a reliable trustworthy source on AEW today :)

Jesus christ - i've emailled the editor there to let him know a thing or two about Big Trev

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Wrestlemania 37 announced for LA, March 28th at the Rams new SoFi stadium.

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Jesus christ - i've emailled the editor there to let him know a thing or two about Big Trev

Well he's a d*ck but he clearly knows people in wrestling so why not use his rumours?

Well he's a d*ck but he clearly knows people in wrestling so why not use his rumours?

Who does he know then?

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Who does he know then?

I don't know, do you?

I don't know, do you?

He can claim to have these mysterious "inside sources", but all he's doing is throwing crap at the wall, and some is bound to stick. He's wrong more than he's right and by a large margin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭HanFiredFirst

He admitted here before that he has never been to a live wrestling event ever and has never been outside Ireland. He is doing well to being an ITK from using a twitter account and spouting crap on wrestling boards across the internet. Just because he spouts out tweets 24/7 non stop doesn't mean he knows anything. I actually thought myself the twitter account was a parody run by 2 guys from here one being the one who didn't step out of line the other being Trevor.

Doesn't seem that way to me but I suppose neither of us really knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

A confused... is this trev guy rovert or something?

A confused... is this trev guy rovert or something?

Read roverT backwards.

• Advertisement

Same way Trebor mints got their name

Advertisement