Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

How long before the WWE have a coronavirus story line involving the aisan talent.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

How long before the WWE have a coronavirus story line.

It's not a big story in that States so doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Loughc wrote: »
    It's not a big story in that States so doubtful.

I would have thought it would be some what of a big thing considering how vast the population is and so many travelling overseas.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

https://twitter.com/scotsunsport/status/1233677346386915328?s=20

Well it's not a surprise that WWE are considering this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

ot a hope its cancelled

• Advertisement

They'll talk like they are thinking about cancelling for PR. But they won't. Too much money and moving parts.

However even in the unlikely event it got cancelled they'd probably just do an empty arena show. As bad as it would be lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

The may not have a say in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,640 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

DAZN have announced they will be launching in 200 countries around the world my guess would be that Vince would like to land his PPV here for the global reach they would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

DAZN has always seemed like the place that makes most sense for the PPV's to land. Someone would have to pay them more than the value of them to the network. The network isn't particularly profitable - roughly $2 out of every $10 they get is the profit, about $36 million a year. Realistically they'd need double that to move them I think. Are they really worth $70 million a year to anyone? DAZN are big into paying through the nose now hoping it'll pay off later. Plus they are known to want wrestling content.

We shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Matt Hardy officially finished with WWE today. Seems to headed too AEW with Brodie Lee and 1 of them to be the leader of the Dark Order also

• Advertisement

I could see Matt turn up on NXT on Wednesday night.

The way he likes to play the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

It does feel like there is so much out there indicating he's headed for AEW that it is almost too obvious.

But given that it is both sides, it would seem there must be smoke to that fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Two people in tampa bay have been confirmed as having COVID-19 to which WWE gave this statement to ESPN.
    “The health and safety of our fans, performers and employees are our top priorities and we are monitoring the situation closely with our partners and government officials in Tampa Bay.”

“We remain committed to hosting WrestleMania at Raymond James Stadium on Sunday, April 5, and like other entertainment properties in the U.S., there are currently no plans to cancel or postpone our upcoming events.”

As they say they are committed to hosting wrestle mania this year but I can see some changes to axxess this year in regards to contact with superstars and fans.

Trailer for season 2 of Dark Side of the Ring.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Two people in tampa bay have been confirmed as having COVID-19 to which WWE gave this statement to ESPN.

As they say they are committed to hosting wrestle mania this year but I can see some changes to axxess this year in regards to contact with superstars and fans.

WarlikeAffectionateAntarcticfurseal-size_restricted.gif

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Meltzers WON 2019 awards out now,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Category A

1.Wrestler Of the year:Chris Jericho

2.Most outstanding Wrestler: Will Ospreay

3.Tag Team Of the year: Lucha Bros

4. Best On Interviews: Chris Jericho

5.Promotion Of the Year: NJPW

6.Most Outstanding Tv Shows: AEW Dynamite

7.MOTY: WIll Ospreay Vs Shingo Takagi

Category B

1.Feud Of the Year: Adam Cole vs Gargano

2.Most Improved: Lance Archer

3.Most Charismatic: Chris Jericho

4.Best Technical wrestler: ZSJ

5.Best Brawler: ISHII!!!!!

6.Best High Flyer : Will Ospreay

7.Most Over rated: King Corbin

8.Most Under rated: Shorty G

9.Rookie of the year: Jungle Boy

10. Best Non-Wrestler: Paul Heyman

11. Best Tv Announcer: Kevin Kelly

12. Worst Tv Announcer: Corey Graves

13.Best Major Wrestling Show: AEW DON

14.Worst major Wrestling Show: WWE Super Show dwon

15.Best Wrestling Maneuver: Will ospreay Storm Breaker

16.Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic: WWE continuing Business in Saudi Arabia

17. Worst TV SHow : WWE Monday Night RAW

18.Worst Match Of the Year: Bray Wyatt vs Seth Rollins (Hell In a cell)

19.Worst Feud Of the Year: Bray Wyatt vs Seth Rollins

20.Worst Promotion Of the Year: WWE

21.Best Booker: Gedo

22.Promoter of the year: Tony Khan

23.Best Gimmick: "The fiend" Bray wyatt

24. Worst Gimmick :Shorty G

25. Box Office Draw :Chris Jericho

Those are the results, shamelessly stolen from Reddit.

Great year for Jericho, he's been a blast in AEW and NJPW. Possibly a bit of an upset, I honestly expected Ospreay to get both wrestler of the year and most outstanding wrestler of the year but I guess in a few years time when he's on top of the card regularly that will happen. Only real dispute is the Gargano vs Cole feud of the year, 1 great match, 1 average match and some remarkable amounts of melodrama along the way. Starr/Devlin was the right choice in this category.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

I'd have had Ospreay as Wrestler of the Year and Liger/Suzuki as feud of the year, but apart from that and Wyatt as best gimmick I think that list is pretty much spot on.

I'd have had Ospreay as Wrestler of the Year and Liger/Suzuki as feud of the year, but apart from that and Wyatt as best gimmick I think that list is pretty much spot on.

I really have no idea who is voting Wyatt as best gimmick, honestly thought it was pure trash from beginning to end, was not at all upset to see Goldberg beat him for the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I really have no idea who is voting Wyatt as best gimmick, honestly thought it was pure trash from beginning to end, was not at all upset to see Goldberg beat him for the title.

Your opinion doesnt match the popular vote. That's why Wyatt was voted best gimmick. And it was far from trash

• Advertisement

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Your opinion doesnt match the popular vote. That's why Wyatt was voted best gimmick. And it was far from trash

Maybe I'm out of the loop but what part of it wasn't trash? His matches were trash (1 decent Daniel Bryan bout aside, but that's Daniel Bryan on ppv!) his segments were trash and a source of embarrassment to wrestling fans, he did nothing to move any numbers, no evidence of him being a draw among casuals and even his dedicated supporter base didn't exactly follow through on giving up WWE programming after he lost the belt, even WWE realised he couldn't be trusted in the main event programme on Smackdown and, when push comes to shove, it's at Wrestlemania time when you find out who the real stars are and Wyatt is not a real star even in the eyes of his own company.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Maybe I'm out of the loop but what part of it wasn't trash? His matches were trash (1 decent Daniel Bryan bout aside, but that's Daniel Bryan on ppv!) his segments were trash and a source of embarrassment to wrestling fans, he did nothing to move any numbers, no evidence of him being a draw among casuals and even his dedicated supporter base didn't exactly follow through on giving up WWE programming after he lost the belt, even WWE realised he couldn't be trusted in the main event programme on Smackdown and, when push comes to shove, it's at Wrestlemania time when you find out who the real stars are and Wyatt is not a real star even in the eyes of his own company.

Again, many of these statements are your opinion and not fact. Separate those two things in your mind.

A "source of embarrassment to wrestling fans" - cop on now. There's many things would be this, but Wyatt's vignettes are not one. I, as a wrestling fan of almost 30 years, enjoyed these segments, and have shown some of them to my non wrestling friends. I'd somnewhat agree that Wyatt isn't all that in the ring, but look at the "top guys" down through the years, Hogan, Warrior etc - these were not beholden with grappling ability either.

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Again, many of these statements are your opinion and not fact. Separate those two things in your mind.

A "source of embarrassment to wrestling fans" - cop on now. There's many things would be this, but Wyatt's vignettes are not one. I, as a wrestling fan of almost 30 years, enjoyed these segments, and have shown some of them to my non wrestling friends. I'd somnewhat agree that Wyatt isn't all that in the ring, but look at the "top guys" down through the years, Hogan, Warrior etc - these were not beholden with grappling ability either.

OK what are the facts that he isn't trash?

Fact. He couldn't draw a dime. Doesn't move ratings. Doesn't pop live attendance. As a prominently featured act on Smackdown since it moved to FOX he has helped run off a massive portion of the audience their first night drew (thanks in large part to The Rock) he has literally no mass appeal! No numbers or statistics exist to back up the claim that he is a draw. Trash.

Fact. When it came time for Wrestlemania, they went with semi-decrepit Goldberg, a man who isn't even a part-timer on the roster. Wyatt's run as champion failed. Trash.

Opinion. His matches are trash. I say that's an opinion because you can't say it's a fact but his matches were universally panned and even in these WON awards we are talking about his match and feud with Seth Rollins were respectively the worst in their classes.

Opinion. He's an embarrassment. Impossible to quantify as fact, I just know that if any of my co-workers knew I willingly watched stuff this character was in they'd treat me like I'm a lunatic, and probably rightly so. I sat down to watch the Rumble with my 2 non-fan housemates and they enjoyed it, it's an easy, casual show, but 1 of them was in tears at how goofy The Fiend is, it's a bad kids cartoon TV show character masquerading as something deep and dark to adults, when it just isn't, it's surface level tripe.

Hogan is top 3 greatest draws in wrestling history. Warrior was a legitimate big draw for a time. Wyatt is not Warrior, let alone Hogan. He's Bray Wyatt doing another bad gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Only real dispute is the Gargano vs Cole feud of the year, 1 great match, 1 average match and some remarkable amounts of melodrama along the way. Starr/Devlin was the right choice in this category.

I guess he felt the need to say one nice thing about WWE's in ring product. If there was one I would dispute it's Most Overrated. Who's overrating Corbin?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Isn't a fan poll? You can't take Meltzer's horde of cultists seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I guess he felt the need to say one nice thing about WWE's in ring product. If there was one I would dispute it's Most Overrated. Who's overrating Corbin?

Those awards have always meant over pushed/under pushed. They should have changed the name years ago. To answer your question I guess WWE are overrating him.

I also think The Fiend gimmick is all time terrible btw.

cian68 wrote: »
    Those awards have always meant over pushed/under pushed. They should have changed the name years ago. To answer your question I guess WWE are overrating him.

I also think The Fiend gimmick is all time terrible btw.

Pure Wrestlecrap if ever I saw it. Only thing is, usually the Wrestlecrap stuff never gets above mid card or lower mid card level, this guy was World Champion (!) and a featured star on their biggest ever weekly TV deal, who in their right mind thought that would be a good idea? Or that the people who watch FOX would see this guy and think "wow, give me more of THIS!"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

AJ Styles has been named PWI Wrestler of the Decade. I think that's fair enough. He's top 5 for the quality of his matches from 2010-2019 and been heavyweight champion in TNA, NJPW and WWE. Nobody has a CV as strong.

Sheamus came 10th.

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »
    AJ Styles has been named PWI Wrestler of the Decade. I think that's fair enough. He's top 5 for the quality of his matches from 2010-2019 and been heavyweight champion in TNA, NJPW and WWE. Nobody has a CV as strong.

With it being PWI it's very much on the kayfabe side of things. Personally I don't think you could look past Kazuchika Okada as the wrestler of the decade.

Advertisement