Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Does the fact that the only two people you pick out as being needle movers are people who are not usually active wrestlers (on average 1 match a year) not support the argument that nobody from the current roster (Maybe Brock is) really is a draw on their own anymore?

If they were then We wouldn't need Goldberg, Cena & Taker all returning for Mania.

Personally I really enjoy Wyatt's character but do believe pushing into the main event was a mistake. I like that they actually were getting behind one of their current crop of guys and trying to make a new star akin to Taker but in modern day I think a Fiend type character works much better in the midcard providing variety to a show while the more serious characters / workers are at the top of the card.

Well the person I was responding to said people "wouldn't stick around to see The Undertaker" but ratings-wise they do tend to stick around to see The Undertaker.

They have a problem in creating stars. They don't know how to do it anymore and seem unwilling to break the status quo of 50/50 booking hell. Wyatt isn't the breakthrough guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Well the person I was responding to said people "wouldn't stick around to see The Undertaker" but ratings-wise they do tend to stick around to see The Undertaker.

They have a problem in creating stars. They don't know how to do it anymore and seem unwilling to break the status quo of 50/50 booking hell. Wyatt isn't the breakthrough guy.

You are correct, WWE have an awful time of creating new stars, but its a roster wide problem and Wyatt suffers as much as anyone else.

Wyatts gimmick restricts the way he works, hes not your average worker in ring as a result and you are not wrong that his matches havent been great, but they were never going to be considering the gimmick, the same way Takers early matches were versus Yoko, Goant Gonzales, Jake Roberts, etc were far from 5 star classics.

His Gimmick is not mega over but it is over just like Takers was. I feel the older audience this time contributes negatively compared to the much younger audience Taker had in the early nineties

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Also I agree Wyatt isnt the next big breakout star like Cena or Batista, however I think no one knows who that is until they are pushed and given a chance.

Id argue that if WWE kept going with Wyatt as Champion and kept him strong theyd do well with him. He seemed to be turning the corner at the Rumble with Bryan, learning lesson in terms of booking and presnetation ( dropping the red lights, having him seem less invincible).

Having him squash Goldberg would have went a long way to making him a bigger deal and star, alas they went the complete opposite and killed his momentuem.

I feel his gimmick could have been has big as Takers years if it progressed and if he was protected more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Well this is something Will be so interesting how the Americans deal with this sport wise and of course wwe and aew

Mania week being cancelled could kill some indies too

https://twitter.com/wrestlechatnet/status/1237378601777074177?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 60,640 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

And traveling fans who would have spent thousands to be there will be left out of pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

sky88 wrote: »
    Well this is something Will be so interesting how the Americans deal with this sport wise and of course wwe and aew

Mania week being cancelled could kill some indies too

https://twitter.com/wrestlechatnet/status/1237378601777074177?s=21

Does it mean if its cancelled and they move to a different venue it would be a empty venue like the way some of the football matches being played.

And traveling fans who would have spent thousands to be there will be left out of pocket.

Absolutely sucks Jesus I feel terrible for those trip of a lifetime possibly ruined

• Registered Users Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

You would like to think that said fans would suck it up and accept they were just unfortunate compared to what the world is potentially facing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Does it mean if its cancelled and they move to a different venue it would be a empty venue like the way some of the football matches being played.

An empty venue is a possibility.
    But I don't know if it would work. Wrestling is about the atmosphere. The crowd can effect the overall reception of a show. If there are crickets fu*king the show comes off as meh. Imagine no crowd?

I do say Mania won't go ahead as planned. Be it change of venue, no crowd, pushed back whatever it may be.

The way WWE live TV & PPV crowds have been the last few years an empty arena might actually be more lively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

I will be in Tampa that week. I am not going to bother with Wrestlemania but was hoping to go to Takeover. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭ThePott

Going to Mania in Tampa, would be a bit of a letdown tbh, was the main reason for going. Could have just left Florida and Orlando till Summertime :/

Fingers crossed Brother Pott.

I have tickets to Orlando & Miami's MLS games that weekend and wanted to do Takeover as well, plus have promised my young lass we'd do Disney. Can see all the above not happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭ThePott

For sure dude. Would have loved to do Takeover but couldn't get over early enough with work.
    Disney and Universal are closed in Japan but the Paris one is open despitea confirmed case of a Disney employee. Fingers crossed for both you and your lass.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Could pipe in the crowd. Wouldn't be the first time. Just playing cheers, boos, "This is Awesome", "holy s#!t" (can even include the muting there) and "Let's go Cena! Cena sucks!"
    Then on the Monday night have people chanting "We are awesome!" and other such things

Ahh no Chris don’t be one of those guys

https://twitter.com/iamjericho/status/1237480906610245632?s=21

Jericho has always been one of those guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Tweet unavailable? What did it say?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Jericho has always been one of those guys.

Or he's playing to that particular peanut gallery.
    Adiboo wrote: »

Called the coronavirus pandemic "mass hysteria"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Corona virus conspiracy wankery.

It's a horrible thing to say but I'd like to see those people's opinions if a family member got it. Are they gonna be telling them it's all fake while they're in a hospital bed?

Fùcking idiots.

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Or he's playing to that particular peanut gallery.

He is a total conspiracy theorist.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Corona virus conspiracy wankery.

It's a horrible thing to say but I'd like to see those people's opinions if a family member got it. Are they gonna be telling them it's all fake while they're in a hospital bed?

Fùcking idiots.

To be fair unless it's an elderly or already very ill person, they're not going to be in hospital are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well at least we'll know sooner rather than later then. It was never going to be WWEs call anyway.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well at least we'll know sooner rather than later then. It was never going to be WWEs call anyway.

My gut feeling is they’d never cancel themselves so need government order

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Might they move it to a country without a ban on large crowds? Does Saudi have a ban?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Blood Money Mania

*Vince excited rolling off chair gif*

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

My gut feeling is they’d never cancel themselves so need government order

Of course WWE weren't going to cancel by themselves and it was always going to have to be the governments call.

I think even Saudis have a ban think I seen for schools and colleges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Might they move it to a country without a ban on large crowds? Does Saudi have a ban?

Moving a large scale event with massive production, with probably the majority of it set up to another country without a ban on large crowds? It's insane to even think they'd move it, especially 3 weeks out.

Not to mention the whole set up that comes with Mania week/weekend in the host city.

Advertisement