Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Didnt Vinny Mac throw a hissy fit when someone sneezed in front of him?

The guy doesnt even watch the news outside of his own WWE bubble, same ideology as Trump probably think the genetic jackhammer is immune and America will not be defeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

sky88 wrote: »
    Actually thought I read that they can only run certain amount of tapes shows per year same for aew as well which if true it’s terrible from the tv stations

But if wwe are going to do it live 3 times a week it is just completely terrible and irresponsible like it was bad enough then and aew we’re taping shows but at least they were taking precautions and it was 2 or 3 days then done

See, to be fair, the TV stations didn’t know this would happen either when they made those deals and they made sense at the time. Wrestling live is so valuable because it’s fresh, live content that can’t be spoiled or ruined that you need to watch on TV when it happens. It’s about as useful taped, in normal times, as pre-taping a football match. It’s just an awkward time where everyone is trying to find the balance. Of the two, the networks should step in and they are definitely more culpable. But at the same time that could happen tomorrow and everyone would say they’re sound, so judge them when they’re done, nobody knows right from wrong right now and companies need time to come around to the idea that they’ll lose millions. It’s very easy for me to say that when it’s not my decision to make and others aren’t depending on me to make the right decision one way or the other.

I think this ‘tape everything live’ strategy is Vince’s equivalent of ‘Fight Island’: a play to force the network’s hand into making the decision for him that he’s willing to follow through on if called upon. I’d say he looked at what Dana did and thought it was genius.

And I’d be cautious just letting AEW off the hook here. They’re no better than anyone. You just need to look at their show for a few minutes to see precautions weren’t being taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

You'd think there would be some force majeure clauses in their TV contracts. If this doesn't qualify, what does?

J. Marston wrote: »
    You'd think there would be some force majeure clauses in their TV contracts. If this doesn't qualify, what does?

I’d say that’s exactly why we have what we have. Force majeure would be like a hurricane where it’s actually impossible for people to move. Networks can argue that empty arena shows can happen, or at least companies can make that argument for them by still providing content of that nature because they’re afraid of testing the waters and defaulting on their agreements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭ThePott

J. Marston wrote: »
    The article I posted on the last page actually mentions that while many do have Force Majeure clauses they may not specifically cover pandemics. There's a lot of issues to take into account how the whole thing is being handled. Wasn't there talk that the reason WWE didn't cancel Mania in Tampa till the last minute cause insurance wouldn't cover it, not sure if that was proven or not. Tbh it's an unprecedented situation but there's a good chance that when people are facing heavy loses when all this is over that they'll try recoup some loss by pointing the finger at each other and holding people to the terms of the contract.

Don't think it's entirely out of the box either that a higher power could get involved like was the case with UFC. Comcast or AT&T or Fox, then again that was from pressure by the Governor so who knows if that could happen.

• Advertisement

I’d say now it’ll become a case, like with UFC, that people’s heads will turn towards the networks for airing it and participating in it and they won’t want to be seen as complicit in risking people’s health. But that’s rare, people don’t really care about how TV gets made and content producers are often on the frontline despite them carrying out orders by their paymasters in networks (which is mad because people use the “but they’re millionaires” argument to admonish producers but forget who’s actually giving them those millions).

The only time in recent memory I can think of backlash over here towards a broadcasting company was with ITV for airing Love Island when several contestants, and now a host, committed suicide. It takes time and a LOT of damage for the public to start paying enough attention to things closely enough to push it back. This may do it though, we’ll see. I don’t see this taping live arrangement lasting the course, but WWE have to play it a certain way because they can’t openly come out and blast their main sources of income as they’ll want to keep the relationships going long-term. I’d put money on WWE leaking the part about them having to do X amount of shows live themselves for this reason.

I could see that, I think Dana being so vocal was to draw attention to it so he would be forced to cancel which would leave them off the hook legally for not delivering I'd imagine. I'd imagine WWE would be happy to shutdown if it doesn't damage contracts, they already stopped UK tapings so don't see why they would be opposed to shutting down in the US.
    Besides the fact that they have a vault full of content they could broadcast if it came to it.

Yeah, last week I felt differently - and maybe the situation was different then - but this move screams that they actively want to shut down operations for the time being if they can protect their contracts long-term. It’s a deliberately provocative move, especially considering they were planning to tape shows already and changed course. They either got the call from the networks pressuring them and leaked the contract details in response, or they’re just saying **** this and forcing the networks’ hands. Either way it’s a play and I don’t expect we’ll be watching a live Raw or SmackDown within the next 2-3 weeks. The sad part is that it’ll get reported as “Vince is crazy, thank god the networks came in and stopped him.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

leggo wrote: »
    Yeah, last week I felt differently - and maybe the situation was different then - but this move screams that they actively want to shut down operations for the time being if they can protect their contracts long-term. It’s a deliberately provocative move, especially considering they were planning to tape shows already and changed course. They either got the call from the networks pressuring them and leaked the contract details in response, or they’re just saying **** this and forcing the networks’ hands. Either way it’s a play and I don’t expect we’ll be watching a live Raw or SmackDown within the next 2-3 weeks. The sad part is that it’ll get reported as “Vince is crazy, thank god the networks came in and stopped him.”

In 2-3 weeks and we're watching live WWE then what?

It’s not and we’re not, go away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Just to change the topic briefly.... Ronda Rousey appeared on Steve O's podcast, said WWE fans were "ungrateful" and didn't "appreciate her", said she'd only come back part time.

https://411mania.com/wrestling/ronda-rousey-wwe-fans-ungrateful-return/

To be honest, it had completely slipped my mind that she was in the WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Just to change the topic briefly.... Ronda Rousey appeared on Steve O's podcast, said WWE fans were "ungrateful" and didn't "appreciate her", said she'd only come back part time.

One less arsehole with an MMA shoot gimmick to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

leggo wrote: »
    It’s not and we’re not, go away.

From the inner workings of Mcmahon's mind, we go to our correspondent Leggo.. Mm

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I did see the quotes and because it's wrestling I wasn't sure if it's a work or a part the supposed rematch between Becky and Ronda if it happens. I mean IF its her speaking for real and not a part of a rassling angle then it doesn't paint her in a good light because wrestling fans won't stop if you call them ungrateful.

I also remember Ronda looking kind of shocked after the rumble in 2019 before the Mania match. I'll go back and look at it but I do recall it being mentioned.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I did see the quotes and because it's wrestling I wasn't sure if it's a work or a part the supposed rematch between Becky and Ronda if it happens. I mean IF its her speaking for real and not a part of a rassling angle then it doesn't paint her in a good light because wrestling fans won't stop if you call them ungrateful.

I also remember Ronda looking kind of shocked after the rumble in 2019 before the Mania match. I'll go back and look at it but I do recall it being mentioned.

It could swing either way. Calling wrestling fans ungrateful is throwing petrol on the fire..

Then again, I couldn't really be arsed whether she comes back or not. Ronda's shtick has worn off for me.

It could swing either way. Calling wrestling fans ungrateful is throwing petrol on the fire..

Then again, I couldn't really be arsed whether she comes back or not. Ronda's shtick has worn off for me.

It's not a good way to go in fairness. I enjoyed some of her run starting with the wrestlemania match and then I saw the Alexa bliss documentary where they showed her dumping Alexa on her head which didn't paint Ronda in a good light.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

It's not a good way to go in fairness. I enjoyed some of her run starting with the wrestlemania match and then I saw the Alexa bliss documentary where they showed her dumping Alexa on her head which didn't paint Ronda in a good light.

What I took from that as well is that Nia Jax is a form believer in work safety. :eek: :pac:

I thought Ronda was great in her run tbh, she was there more often than not. She was a little stiff and at times careless when working but the quality of her matches was high imo. As for why the fans turned, she kinda heeled it up a bit and putting her against Becky was always going to get her booed. Seems like a major misunderstanding to get yourself heat and then complain about it.

I wouldn't mind seeing her back on a part-time basis but maybe she's soured on it. She's getting a lot of flack for this comment and also saying it's fake, saw Lana and Alexa giving her stick for this. Could just be a work though maybe.

Think it was after Survivor Series 2018 after Charlotte had beaten her silly with a kendo stick. Fans were chanting "You deserve it" when she was going back up the ramp and she looked shocked/pissed off. I don't think it was acting either because if you've seen or heard her in Fast and Furious or Mortal Kombat, she's no Meryl Streep.

Also the settting outside of WWE isn't helping because within the confines of WWE it's clear that it's part of the show but in an interview it's easy for fans to take it the wrong way.

She also said she didn't need to money won't help her with some fans and saying she respected the women in the locker room but then calls it fake, i don't know what she lane she's trying to stay in there.

Pro wrestling is not the form of entertainment to go into being thin skinned or given off the impression you are thin skinned. I didn't follow her UFC career but wasn't there issues after she lost the first time to whoever it was ?

• Advertisement

Also the settting outside of WWE isn't helping because within the confines of WWE it's clear that it's part of the show but in an interview it's easy for fans to take it the wrong way.

She also said she didn't need to money won't help her with some fans and saying she respected the women in the locker room but then calls it fake, i don't know what she lane she's trying to stay in there.

Pro wrestling is not the form of entertainment to go into being thin skinned or given off the impression you are thin skinned. I didn't follow her UFC career but wasn't there issues after she lost the first time to whoever it was ?

Yup she got her ass handed to her by Holly Holm @ UFC 193 in November 2015. followed by a medical suspension. Disappeared from the sport for a bit, then resurfaced at UFC 207, in December 2016, had her ass handed to her by Amanda Nunes.

Hasn't been seen near UFC since.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Her judo was spectacular, but she never adapted to deal with boxers. Her UFC success was in danger as soon as she was put up against experienced strikers. That clash of styles was like the early days of the men's competition all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Ronda is so good at this.

I know she is working but I am not sure about the others because Nia & particularly Lana are the type to make fools of themselves on social media readily.

They're still at it, whatever it is...

https://twitter.com/RondaRousey/status/1249063943697383426?s=20

https://twitter.com/niajaxwwe/status/1249081490408865795?s=21

If it leads to a storyline my eyes will do a full 360 if they have Ronda out in the ring talking about kayfabe.

Oh boy.....

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1249060216634826753

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1249067304199086084
    Fightful has heard from several members of the WWE roster that a memo was sent out a week ago noting a positive COVID-19 test in the company

WWE Talent Say Company Sent Memo About Positive Coronavirus COVID-19 Test.

WWE has officially confirmed this news to Fightful

Ah here so there's a positive coronavirus test within WWE and this crowd want to do live shows again ?

Ah here so there's a positive coronavirus test within WWE and this crowd want to do live shows again ?

Should've added, it's not a member of the rosters, but hopefully this will maybe set the alarms off in old Vince's head to maybe curtail live/pre-taped stuff for a while.

So it's an air talent who isn't on the roster according to a statement from WWE. So that's an announcer or a back stage interviewer then. I've missed the last couple of weeks of smackdown and raw. For those who have been watching who was there but then stopped being there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Should've added, it's not a member of the rosters, but hopefully this will maybe set the alarms off in old Vince's head to maybe curtail live/pre-taped stuff for a while.

He is absolutely not doing that.

Keep in mind he would have known this news a week ago, and he made the decision yesterday to go back to doing live shows.

Vince McMahon has always and will always prioritise profit over people.

• Advertisement

So it's an air talent who isn't on the roster according to a statement from WWE. So that's an announcer or a back stage interviewer then. I've missed the last couple of weeks of smackdown and raw. For those who have been watching who was there but then stopped being there ?

A WWE employee, that's all the it says in the Fightful link, though they've redacted the name of the person infected.

Advertisement