Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Monokne wrote: »
    His self worth is his bank balance since he quite clearly loathes everything else about himself - like being redneck and a rasslin' promoter.

To keep it short. He's an ungrateful bell end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Rob Gronkowski (I thought he was retired for some reason) is gone too Tampa Bay too. Did he not sign as wrestler WWE or was it just the guest host thing?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Rob Gronkowski (I thought he was retired for some reason) is gone too Tampa Bay too. Did he not sign as wrestler WWE or was it just the guest host thing?

He was retired but has decided to un-retire. So yeah, guess he wasn’t locked in to WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just saw this on ign

https://twitter.com/JonAlba/status/1252598932678549504

What "John" says is
    My employer, World Wrestling Entertainment, a.k.a. WWE, is forcing me to work the TV tapings for its weekly shows despite stay-at-home orders for coronavirus," the public comment reads. "I am unable to speak out as I need this job and I know I will be fired if I approach my higher-ups. Despite sanitary precautions, we cannot maintain social distancing and have to touch other people. I request the government to shut down these tapings and enforce the stay-at-home order so my colleagues and I may follow social distancing rules without fear or repercussion of losing our jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Talent have expressed privately to Meltzer that they have been told there jobs aren't under threat if they don't show but they don't believe it because Vince always tells talent 'if you do X it won't be held against you', then they do X and suddenly their push disappears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think they just mean in the foreseeable future.
    They are planning more personality profiles and mini-movies going forward.
    I guess the MitB matches will fall into that category.

He comments about changing up the show for the new setup. Hope they keep changing things up when the fans come back and don't fall back into the usual routine.

And randomly through an ad on that site, I found out Emma Watson is now 30 and I feel old.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,641 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Vince yesterday on the rating are dropping...

We no longer have Brock and have a new champion and a lot of new performers coming in that's the reason...... and how you use that performers in this story or that story with new talent its going to take a little while I'm convinced the RAW ratings will bounce back.

Brock back as Champion soon then.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Just saw this on ign

https://twitter.com/JonAlba/status/1252598932678549504

What "John" says is

Damn you John Cena!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Super quiet here since that got posted. Is Tony Khan not a piece of **** for doing the exact same thing WWE did, no?? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

leggo wrote: »
    Super quiet here since that got posted. Is Tony Khan not a piece of **** for doing the exact same thing WWE did, no?? :pac:

Sssshhhh if its not WWE bashing then you cant post about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Yeah.....imagine going quiet when one can no longer defend the indefensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ali Bomaye

Yeah it's indefensible but trust you to come in and make it a WWE vs AEW thing. Still they haven't started firing people or bribing any states just yet!

But aside from the nonsense of some people's sad need to turn everything into a WWE vs AEW issue, it's an extremely disappointing decision. All this talk of changing the world and treating workers better and they miss this PR open goal. Pure greed.

Expecting wrestling companies run by greedy billionaires to be great shiny lights in society is we’re people go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

WWE's reaction to the virus has been absolutely deplorable.

AEW's has been better, but dreadful at the same time.

Monokne wrote: »
    WWE's reaction to the virus has been absolutely deplorable.

AEW's has been better, but dreadful at the same time.

Mad stuff that ROH have had a by far better reaction than AEW. I believe they just stopped taping and continued to pay workers for cancelled shows.

Ali Bomaye wrote: »
    Yeah it's indefensible but trust you to come in and make it a WWE vs AEW thing. Still they haven't started firing people or bribing any states just yet!

But aside from the nonsense of some people's sad need to turn everything into a WWE vs AEW issue, it's an extremely disappointing decision. All this talk of changing the world and treating workers better and they miss this PR open goal. Pure greed.

Nobody is making it WWE vs AEW, and I don’t see how *that* is your takeaway from this story. They’re doing the exact same thing, it’s an obvious question to wonder why there’s immediate murder when one does something but deathly silence for nearly 24 hours when the other does the exact same. That’s a fair question and if anything it’s the sane, balanced POV. Criticising one while defending or staying silent on the other is people making it WWE vs AEW and sadly proves how little people actually care about the issue itself and are just using a situation where people are dying to validate weird, pre-existing agendas they have against people they don’t know. If they cared, they’d get angry at the act no matter who was behind it.

Personally I don’t think either should be running, but can empathise with both situations and see it as a sign of how messed up America is right now that they even have the option. I also think the outrage about it is fake and think the above point proves that. That’s been my stance the entire time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Nobody is making it WWE vs AEW, and I don’t see how *that* is your takeaway from this story. They’re doing the exact same thing, it’s an obvious question to wonder why there’s immediate murder when one does something but deathly silence for nearly 24 hours when the other does the exact same. That’s a fair question and if anything it’s the sane, balanced POV. Criticising one while defending or staying silent on the other is people making it WWE vs AEW and sadly proves how little people actually care about the issue itself and are just using a situation where people are dying to validate weird, pre-existing agendas they have against people they don’t know. If they cared, they’d get angry at the act no matter who was behind it.

Personally I don’t think either should be running, but can empathise with both situations and see it as a sign of how messed up America is right now that they even have the option. I also think the outrage about it is fake and think the above point proves that. That’s been my stance the entire time.

For me (I might not be right but my perception is) that is a big exaggeration when it's closer to just some people being vocally critical of their actions while others are ready to point out that they are not as critical of AEW despite the fact that more are always going to not just be as critical of others but also simply not think of others as much as they do WWE. WWE is wrestling for many people, and in this case they don't care if AEW is just as bad when they point out WWE doing something bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

WWE still running made it onto some radio sports show last night that was on in the background while I was driving hone from work. They’re exponentially bigger and have such a wider net cast. Basically, WWE is wrestling to the common man. They’re in the public’s peripheral to some degree. I know swathes of wrestling fans who have no idea what AEW even is.

Of course WWE is going to catch more criticism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Funny that myself and Bounty Hunter both used the exact same phrase. WWE is wrestling. Or WWF sometimes. Same way UFC is MMA to most.

In terms of mainstream media, yeah I’d agree totally with that assessment. But in terms of boards PW forum and wrestling Twitter? Nah. People know all about AEW. I don’t think that’s an explanation for the fact that not one person commented on it after it was posted here for nearly 24 hours whereas there was pages upon pages of scathing criticism and insults thrown out when WWE made the exact same decision. Between bulk pre-taping content for a few weeks before returning to live shows in their bases in Florida, the two situations are near-identical.

And lads, let’s not insult each other’s intelligence and pretend otherwise, we all know the story there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

In terms of mainstream media, yeah I’d agree totally with that assessment. But in terms of boards PW forum and wrestling Twitter? Nah. People know all about AEW. I don’t think that’s an explanation for the fact that not one person commented on it after it was posted here for nearly 24 hours whereas there was pages upon pages of scathing criticism and insults thrown out when WWE made the exact same decision. Between bulk pre-taping content for a few weeks before returning to live shows in their bases in Florida, the two situations are near-identical.

And lads, let’s not insult each other’s intelligence and pretend otherwise, we all know the story there.

Most people here know about it yes, but do most actually watch it or spend their time thinking about it, I dunno.

I'll be honest I don't watch AEW. I get the impression it's better than WWE a lot of the time but I don't have the time to watch more wrestling as is and if anything I've been cutting back on my WWE bit by bit the past few years. I will always comment on something I have more knowledge on and therefore I would be much more likely to comment on a WWE related story and not the AEW one no matter how similar it is. That does not mean I think one is better or worse in their actions however and I would imagine a lot of the posters on here may be of a similar mindset.

Wwe are wrestling for anyone outside the bubble and as the biggest organisation will always get criticism and most of it is deserved since this all started

But there is also section of the internet that thinks that AEW is the shining light and going to be different from wwe/Vince but the end of the day there both businesses who are trying to make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,641 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

And if Vince hadn't bribed the Florida governor to make the WWE an essential business then AEW wouldn't be able to run in Florida.

How many companies would let their competitor have a free run.

Just look here Supermacs announced it is opening up it takeaways again and with a day Mickey D's said they will be opening up again.

Business is business and those businesses will have to live with whatever consequences come from their business decisions.

I love how you point out that your POV is the sane, balanced one. Both are horrible and I have no empathy for either but they're not exactly the exact same thing when one is firing workers during a pandemic and bribing the state of Florida. Maybe the answer to your question is because people discuss WWE more than AEW on here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I actually don't think a place like WWE continuing to have tapings or live tv is flat out horrible.

I have always said the story has much more than just go or stop. I think, like many tv shows, it is possible to be relatively safe if suitable precautions are taken.

I really don't believe Drew going to the PC on a Monday evening in Florida and staying home the rest of the week is that outrageous. It is a closed environment, no customers going there to do business. RTE are still making TV like the late late show that could stop.

It is a bit like the example of the two types of people - the person who ignores coronavirus and says it grand (wrong) - or the person who accepts it as a problem but does not apply any further reason to the chances of encountering it (while safer it is again wrong).

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

I'm pretty sure Ryan Tubridy & Mary Lou McDonald didn't grapple and sweat all over each on the Late Late Show (I didn't see the interview, I just heard she was on it). So it's not really the same to compare one show where people are on top of each other and another where two people are sitting 2 meters apart while having a chat.

jface187 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Ryan Tubridy & Mary Lou McDonald didn't grapple and sweat all over each on the Late Late Show (I didn't see the interview, I just heard she was on it). So it's not really the same to compare one show where people are on top of each other and another where two people are sitting 2 meters apart while having a chat.

I am sure you mean breathing on each other.

Tubridy, unlike Drew actually got Coronavirus.

As I said it for me is partly about likelihood of spread and conditions that could lead to spread. If Drew has it, goes to work then the percentage chance of him giving it to someone else is obviously high. This is why Reigns is at home. Yet if Drew works one day a week (less with the taping schedule coming up), stays home the rest of the week is he likely to catch this between going to work or even at work if workers are taking suitable precautions?

It is a serious and emotive issue, I don't expect to change any ones mind here I just don't believe the good or bad ends are the only ways to think. If WWE were stopped I would not question it, I would welcome it even just as a way of helping spread the message of the seriousness of it. That does not equal I think they are horrible.

• Advertisement

I should also say, WWE open does increase the risk for employees. Without question.

For me I consider the matter of acceptable risk - as an example to a Roman Reigns that is lower than some others.

To me I don't live in Florida, don't know exactly how tapings operate, the advice to performers or use of people based on where they live. I am no position to outright defend WWE or condemn them. I do comprehend ways they could run relatively safely - I don't know if the way they operate is actually in line with that.

Advertisement