Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Kevin Owens did an interview saying they were changing the ring ropes and mats after every match when they were recording stuff. I don't know how it works when they're live though.

HHH also said during the investors call that the PC is more or less getting a regular terminal cleaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Find it curious anyone would try and defend either AEW or WWE.

There is a pandemic. We are all supposed to stay in our homes, and if we are out we are supposed to be 2 metres apart. Meanwhile they have performers physically touching and sweating on each other, then getting on planes and flying across the country. It is beyond irresponsible. If even one elderly or high risk person ends up getting this virus because an AEW or WWE talent or employee spread it while travelling for work and dies - which is almost guaranteed given how the virus works - it is an outrage.

There is no need. We can all live without wrestling for 6 months - and if this means AEW loses money or WWE is only mildly profitable this year then so be it.

Khan and McMahon are worth billions. It's appalling behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

David Starr (whether you love him or hate him) seems to be shouting it the loudest.

https://twitter.com/TheProductDS/status/1253811872693878784
    Shut. The. Tapings. Down. Completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

jface187 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Ryan Tubridy & Mary Lou McDonald didn't grapple and sweat all over each on the Late Late Show (I didn't see the interview, I just heard she was on it). So it's not really the same to compare one show where people are on top of each other and another where two people are sitting 2 meters apart while having a chat.

Unwelcome mental image ahoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Monokne wrote: »
    Find it curious anyone would try and defend either AEW or WWE.

To be fair, I pointed out that nobody was commenting on the AEW story, but I also don't see anyone here outright defending either company either. A couple have empathised with their situation, myself included, but you can empathise with something while still knowing it's wrong and condemning it.

The closest I've seen to even trying to positively spin one's behaviour compared to the other doing the exact same thing comes from...oh wait, this is awkward...you...
    Monokne wrote: »
    AEW's has been better, but dreadful at the same time.

The reality is, and the point I'm making, is that people don't actually give a rats about whether companies run during COVID-19 and the outrage is manufactured because of petty reasons they don't want to say. When the Boneyard Match was deadly or when AEW did that class episode of Dynamite, Coronavirus was still killing people in America, but those shows nobody complained about despite the exact same circumstances being present. Nobody cares about Saudi Arabia or sacking wrestlers either, if Tony Khan did a cull of his roster tomorrow it'd be either the same silence as today or people like "Look, they've got a business to run." The sad truth of it is it's all fake outrage because people don't like the fact that Baron Corbin got a push or that Roman Reigns won at WrestleMania instead of their favourite wrestler a few years ago. Someone brought up the LLS, and the truth is they'd give the exact same reasons as WWE for still running shows but nobody has an issue and they're just as much of an 'essential' service. The constant phoney Braveheart speeches delivered by entitled nerds* who just want a TV show to be exactly what they want it to be is tiring tbh.

*I don't mean nerds as an insult to wrestling fans btw. I'm a MASSIVE nerd myself like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

No way in measuring it but I’d wonder if drop in ratings all round wrestling is because fans don’t like empty arena or if some are not liking them running

I’d guess the empty arena more so

There's an easy way to gauge that, by asking if they'd get the same numbers if it was entertaining? Ratings went slightly up, not down, for the first empty arena SmackDown they did, so it wasn't initially a negative draw and there was no disgust with what they did despite dealing with the exact same circumstances and morality. So it's down to show quality, and I think that checks out with our own experience. I enjoyed WrestleMania and the normal-feeling buzz of WrestleMania weekend, because the shows were decent. The feedback here seemed to be the same. So no, it's not disgust because people will watch if it's good, it's just poor content that's seriously handicapped by no audience.

I can't watch the weekly shows beyond highlights mow and the content isn't good enough to take away my discomfort at the lack of social distancing, but then AEW will do some cool stuff that makes me forget said discomfort and happy that I feel normal enjoying new, decent wrestling content again. I don't think I'm alone in that. I like wrestling so it makes sense that I'd enjoy still being able to watch and enjoy it when it's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

I don’t think it’s fair WWE is been held to a higher standard then AEW but as mentioned by others they are the industry standard

They aren't being held to a higher standard. They are just getting more attention as the higher profile company.

It's the same as McDonalds felt pressured to close and did, but your local chipper is still open with 4 people crammed behind a counter and no-one bats an eyelid.

• Advertisement

sky88 wrote: »
    No way in measuring it but I’d wonder if drop in ratings all round wrestling is because fans don’t like empty arena or if some are not liking them running

I’d guess the empty arena more so

This is definitely a factor. I've said it in other threads but I absolutely cannot watch. Firstly, it's quiet, eerie and weird, and secondly it just feels so uncomfortable watching these performers rubbing up against each other, commentators jammed together at a table as though there is nothing going on in the world, and thirdly I don't feel it's fair to be as critical as I am of this and then watch. I've cancelled my FITE TV sub for AEW for the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    David Starr (whether you love him or hate him) seems to be shouting it the loudest.

https://twitter.com/TheProductDS/status/1253811872693878784

I wish this bloke would pipe down, I know him more for his tweets than his wrestling at this point. What's he actually doing to get this union up and running?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

DM_7 wrote: »
    I am sure you mean breathing on each other.

Tubridy, unlike Drew actually got Coronavirus.

As I said it for me is partly about likelihood of spread and conditions that could lead to spread. If Drew has it, goes to work then the percentage chance of him giving it to someone else is obviously high. This is why Reigns is at home. Yet if Drew works one day a week (less with the taping schedule coming up), stays home the rest of the week is he likely to catch this between going to work or even at work if workers are taking suitable precautions?

It is a serious and emotive issue, I don't expect to change any ones mind here I just don't believe the good or bad ends are the only ways to think. If WWE were stopped I would not question it, I would welcome it even just as a way of helping spread the message of the seriousness of it. That does not equal I think they are horrible.

Yeah but Roman sent himself home. It was his decision. They were more then happy to let him work in a high-risk environment. Why are they still flying in Jerry Lawler? his 70 one of the high risk group. By the way I think AEW and any wrestling company small or big running shows are putting people at risk and should stop.

Yeah but Roman sent himself home. It was his decision. They were more then happy to let him work in a high-risk environment. Why are they still flying in Jerry Lawler? his 70 one of the high risk group. By the way I think AEW and any wrestling company small or big running shows are putting people at risk and should stop.

So there you’re applying our values to the US, which just doesn’t have the same guidelines in place or anything close. They don’t have cocooning and instead of talking about protecting their elderly, you have Trump and lunatic politicians bleating on about how the older generation would rather die than see the economy grind to a halt. That’s why all of this is happening. Trying to hold businessmen to the fire for acting like businessmen, when allowed to do so, is like giving out about a lion eating someone while letting the zookeeper who let them out of the cage off the hook. Lions are going to be lions and ruthless businessmen are going to be ruthless businessmen (see Michael O’Leary over here denying customers refunds). They shouldn’t be allowed in any decision-making capacity in a global health crisis, but their country is being run by a reality TV star so here we are.

Because, quite frankly the show must go on, notwithstanding the virus. We put smiles on peoples faces. Could you imagine the hardship if people didn't see the King on Raw? GODDAMMIT PAL.

Profit before people is the answer at the end of the day. The fact that they didn't make that call on their own is appalling, but then they did try to exploit his life threatening illness for profit. Roman should be commended for being strong enough to go home.

Vince will die a rich man in part because of his sociopathic disregard for the health and/or wellbeing of his talent.

I doubt WWE are "flying Lawler in".

If Roman can say no when he's due to main event Wrestlemania then there's nothing stopping Jerry Lawler saying no to being a third man on commentary.

J. Marston wrote: »
    I doubt WWE are "flying Lawler in".

If Roman can say no when he's due to main event Wrestlemania then there's nothing stopping Jerry Lawler saying no to being a third man on commentary.

Huh?

Are you suggesting he pays for his own flight to work?

Of course there is nothing stopping him saying no. Is there anything stopping WWE from saying "we don't need you at work since you are both high risk because of your heart and high risk because you're over 60"?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,641 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It looks like Jerry Lawler is blaming his co commentators for his racist comments on RAW getting picked up and big deal being made of them.

He basically said JR or Cole would have said Ah King you know they is no such thing as a Ramen Noodle moonsault.

However he doesn't have that chemistry yet with the new guys for them to help blow it off as a joke as they didn't even acknowledge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,641 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jesse Ventura is thinking of running for President as a third party candidate for Green Party.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Jesse Ventura is thinking of running for President as a third party candidate for Green Party.

Jesse is fond of the Green ;)

I could see him doing quite well. Hes got experience, and is well spoken

• Advertisement

Pfft, an ex wrestling performer in the White House, like THAT will ever happen...

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just wait until someone points out how he used unacceptable words in Predator, even though he was a God damned sexual Tyrannosaurus who ain't got time to bleed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Cain Velasquez was released from WWE.

Supposedly Vince is supposed to have called him a "False bag of goods" after his first Smackdown appearance :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Supposedly Vince is supposed to have called him a "False bag of goods" after his first Smackdown appearance :pac:

He was a big ol bag of something alright.

Cain did a couple Hurracanranas in AAA and Vince shot the load down the legs of his pants. Stupid behaviour really. A Charisma vaccum. And lump him in with RonRon Mysterious then - why? Cos the 2 of them speak a bit of Spanish?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I'm not surprised because Cain isn't exactly your archetypal Vince type guy, a legit badass but Lesnar is much more imposing physically and Cain isn't gonna rival guys like Chael Sonnen in the personality contest either on that side

Imagine Vince getting his hands on 2011 Overeem, Ubereem after he beat Brock

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

To be fair to Cain he only "started" in wrestling in July 2018 (performance centre session) Thing is we don't know how much training he has actually gotten in those near two years. I highly doubt it's been two solid years of training. More like here, there, then AAA matches then signed by WWE.

He just got what he got because of his name. Not knocking him either but if it was anyone else he'd be told to hit the wrestling school more and see where he's at after a couple of years.
    He should just go back to mexico, earn a few quid while getting better. WWE could always come calling again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,798 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Imagine Vince getting his hands on 2011 Overeem, Ubereem after he beat Brock

The wellness policy violations there would've been off the chart

Conan pokes fun at WWE being "essential"...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,825 ✭✭✭✭briany

:D

• Advertisement

Advertisement