Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,641 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Edit just beaten to it :)

Scott Hall couldn't handle a Twitter joke from Session Moth last night :)

https://twitter.com/mothfromdaflats/status/1257434631990894598?s=20

Scott Hall deleted his Twitter account after this reply.
    You need a personality transplant you dumb bitch.”

Reply to deleted tweet.

https://twitter.com/mothfromdaflats/status/1257438947485024263?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Raw rating in at 1.686 million. It's not quite freefall but it's close. You wonder post pandemic if they are getting the people back who they've run off or if this pandemic is the thing that's broken the spell of their routine watching. That 3rd hour is especially grim reading.

ACH has calmed down now and is starting an apology tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Raw rating in at 1.686 million. It's not quite freefall but it's close. You wonder post pandemic if they are getting the people back who they've run off or if this pandemic is the thing that's broken the spell of their routine watching. That 3rd hour is especially grim reading.

It is freefall, and they won't come back.

Every pattern of WWE viewership in the last 20 years tells you a single fact: when people get out of the habit of watching, they are gone for good.

It's very hard to see why anyone would watch out of anything other than habit. It is a long and dull wrestling rehearsal in an empty warehouse and the pre-taping plus lack of audience allows them funnel it further into the vision of the wacky old man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I couldn't watch three hours live with all the breaks etc, it is just not interesting enough. I watch PPVs now and again but I still haven't gotten around to the second night of Mania. But mainly it's clips etc. I keep the network for documentaries when I'm looking to kill an hour or two basically. That is one thing they still do well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I wouldn't mind the no fans/empty warehouse side of it as there is nothing they can do about it

The problem is that nothing much ever happens. I mean there is great wrestling every week but hardly any storylines. This why the ratings are in free fall. The wrestlers do great with what they can but the problem is there is nothing to draw in the casual viewers. No antics or larger than life stuff. Soap opera element is nearly gone.

Now it is very hard with the virus but they need new out of the box ideas. The Corporate ladder match is a great idea. They are trying something new with what they have. This is why the Boneyard match worked.

I watch out of habit as I have never missed RAW but there is nothing that I would want to talk about with anyone at the moment. Before I used to be saying Did you see RAW? You have to see the highlights etc

This has been the same for ages before the Corona virus. "Just fill the 3 hours and we go to next week" seems to be the attitude. A few interviews with the main guys and throw the rest in tag matches. Can they coexist? yawn....

Segment that goes nowhere,break,Recap, break, advert,bit of a match repeat. yawm....

This will never work with a casual fan.

I watched RAW today and I couldn't tell you any storyline thats happening other than Drew and Seth squabbling about who is an actual leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Wrestling just isn’t as popular as it once was mainly down from a poor wwe product but I don’t think they’ll get the fans back After all this is over

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I’ve watched Raw and Smackdown habitually for years (I say habitually because I’ve probably enjoyed less than half of all that time) but couldn’t break the cycle of watching and complaining about it most weeks. Haven’t watched anything since Mania, have cancelled the network and I don’t see myself coming back even once it goes back to normal.

It took something like this for me to realise how little enjoyment I got out of it and I’m sure there are tens if not hundreds of thousands in the same boat. Their continued partnership with the Saudi regime is just another reason to steer clear of the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

If they had just rowed in with everything else and stopped after Mania it would have allowed them a long overdue reset, and there would have been genuine excitement to see it back.

They will be move to Missouri as the Governor there said live events can resume there with 6ft between people as of yesterday.

• Advertisement

They will be move to Missouri as the Governor there said live events can resume there with 6ft between people as of yesterday.

I was going to say what fans would risk it but it’s America

sky88 wrote: »
    I was going to say what fans would risk it but it’s America

Gemma O'Doherty and John Walters in the high court today calling it a Nazi State with loads of followers outside we have enough of them here in this Country so we can't point fingers at America really.

Gemma O'Doherty and John Walters in this court today calling it a Nazi State with loads of followers outside we have enough of them here in this Country so we can't point fingers at America really.

There’s a lot more of that in America but yes every country has its brand of weirdos

sky88 wrote: »
    There’s a lot more of that in America but yes every country has its brand of weirdos

There is lot more because their population is about 70 times bigger.

In fact our death toll from Covid-19 per million population is higher than America and 11th highest in the World. America is ranked 14th as of tonight.

There is lot more because their population is about 70 times bigger.

In fact our death toll from Covid-19 per million population is higher than America and 11th highest in the World. America is ranked 14th as of tonight.

A lot country is measuring differently so it’s hard to do a straight comparisons

The Million Dollar Man and his two sons have been named in a scandal that saw them spending millions in welfare grant money in the largest embezzlement case in Mississippi history following son Brett’s arrest in February.

Of the $96m in grants $94m has been questioned by auditors as clear misspending or they could not lawfully verify where the money was spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The Million Dollar Man and his two sons have been named in a scandal that saw them spending millions in welfare grant money in the largest embezzlement case in Mississippi history following son Brett’s arrest in February.

You couldn't make it up. Maybe they're kayfabing everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

Of the $96m in grants $94m has been questioned by auditors as clear misspending or they could not lawfully verify where the money was spent.

Everybody's got a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

DiBiase and his family are not named or accused of criminal wrongdoing in the report.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mississippi-spent-millions-of-welfare-dollars-on-concerts-cars-and-brett-favre-speeches-that-didnt-happen/

This is from the Fake News New York Times

ATLANTA — The state of Mississippi allowed tens of millions of dollars in federal anti-poverty funds to be used in ways that did little or nothing to help the poor, with two nonprofit groups instead using the money on lobbyists, football tickets, religious concerts and fitness programs for state lawmakers, according to a scathing audit released on Monday.

According to the report, released by the state auditor’s office, the money also enriched celebrities with Mississippi ties, among them Brett Favre, a former N.F.L. quarterback whose Favre Enterprises was paid $1.1 million by a nonprofit group that received the welfare funds. The payments were for speaking engagements that Mr. Favre did not attend, the auditors said.

Other large sums went to a family of pro wrestlers whose flamboyant patriarch, Ted DiBiase, earned national fame performing as the “Million Dollar Man.” In a news conference on Monday, Shad White, the state auditor, said it was possible that many recipients of the money did not know it had come from the federal welfare program.

Mr. Favre could not be reached for comment Monday. Mr. DiBiase declined to comment.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/04/us/mississippi-department-human-services.html

Ted DiBiase and his sons Ted DiBiase Jr. and Brett DiBiase were recently named in an audit for an ongoing scandal regarding inappropriate use of welfare money in Mississippi.

The scandal saw the Mississippi Department of Human Services misappropriate more than $90 million and used it for other means that weren't for welfare purposes.

The audit, which was conducted by Shad White, revealed that Ted Sr.'s Heart of David ministry received more than $1.9 million from 2017 to 2019. The actual payments were $271,349 in 2017, $900,000 in 2018 and $756,224 in 2019, totaling $1,927,573.

In addition, the audit stated that Heart Of David is considered a faith based organization under federal standards. Grants to faith-based organizations are allowed under Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program regulations. However, White said in the audit that "any contract or grant agreement must include conditions to implement restrictions on explicitly religious activities. Auditor could find no such conditions in the contracts or subgrantee agreements made to Heart of David."

Previously, authorities charged Brett and five more people in a multi-million embezzlement scheme that included former Mississippi Welfare Director John Davis. According to a New York Times article, DiBiase allegedly was given funds to go to a drug treatment facility in Malibu that was earmarked for Mississippi's welfare programs. According to documents in the article, DiBiase was allegedly given the money as payment for drug abuse classes that he never taught.

Former NFL quarterback and Super Bowl champion Brett Favre was also named in the audit, with Favre Enterprises receiving $1.1 million from the Mississippi Department of Human Services. The full audit can be seen at this link.

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/ted-dibiase-sons-ted-jr-brett-named-audit-mississippi-welfare-scandal

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

So their religious group were awarded money?

The people awarding it seem to be the ones in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Triple H has sold a large amount of WWE shares, could be some substance to the selling of the company talk yet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Well you want to have shares if you’re expecting a substantial buyout, that’s what you’re selling. And if you’re talking potential buyers of WWE, you’re looking at large companies like Disney or WM Endeavour (who bought UFC) doing a takeover sale in one mammoth transaction rather than buying up shares in dribs and drabs. WWE’s share structure wouldn’t really allow the latter. Selling off a chunk of shares like this suggests more along the lines of wanting to have a significant amount of cash at hand for an investment (for a new home, say).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

It's not an indicator of anything. As an employee of WWE, HHH is subject to trading windows which are largely the same for any major company. With the recent Q1 reports done, the window typically opens for a month and will close again until August where it will open up again. They are typically referred to as Restricted Stock Units and this is the done thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

https://twitter.com/marty_walsh/status/1258814310903681032?s=20

Looking doubtful that summerslam will be going ahead in Boston unless something changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/marty_walsh/status/1258814310903681032?s=20

Looking doubtful that summerslam will be going ahead in Boston unless something changes.

Common sense and science dictates, though some of the typical dumbass MAGA Red Hat types seem to think otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

https://twitter.com/ryansatin/status/1258846073050722304?s=21

Don’t know if this is newsworthy or not, but US comedian Tom segura had a pop at wrestling and wrestling fans (could well be a “bit”) and the likes of Corbin, Ziggler and others are taking umbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

TimesArrow wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/ryansatin/status/1258846073050722304?s=21

Don’t know if this is newsworthy or not, but US comedian Tom segura had a pop at wrestling and wrestling fans (could well be a “bit”) and the likes of Corbin, Ziggler and others are taking umbridge

Ah so that's what Sean Ross Sapp was referencing in this tweet.

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1258911690026090496
    Screaming "Wrestling fans are so retarded, they think it's REAL!" and thinking you're dunking on them is the equivalent of setting up for a one yard touchdown run, going backwards 99 yards and celebrating a safety as everyone looks at you wondering what the **** you just did

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Whatever about the dig at wrestling fans, he didn't do himself any favours with the comment about Special Olympics.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Never heard of him.

I have now.

Easy way to get noticed is say **** about people.

Advertisement