Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,643 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

WWE Vince McMahon Documentary Headed To Netflix
    WWE is no stranger to the world of documentaries, with Undertaker: The Last Ride and HBO's Andre The Giant documentary gaining a lot of traction by reeling in audiences, and it seems as if Netflix is jumping in on the band wagon with a World Wrestling Entertainment documentary of its own focusing on current CEO Vince McMahon. Vince is a controversial character that has built the organization thoughtout the decades and has often participated as a wrestler himself, sometimes creative rivalries with other professional wrestlers such as Stone Cold Steve Austin and even Donald Trump many years ago.

The upcoming Netflix documentary focusing on the WWE's Chief Executive Officer Vince McMahon was announced at the third quarter "Earnings Call" for 2020, announced by Nick Khan who is the new President and Chief Revenue Officer for the organization. Nick also noted that this would be "one of the highest budgeted documentaries in Netflix history", showing that the streaming service is looking to put some serious budget behind the upcoming future series.

https://comicbook.com/wwe/news/wwe-vince-mcmahon-documentary-announced-netflix/

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

Aaah just beat me too it

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

Lord TSC wrote: »
    PWInsider says, and this has been cofpnfirmed on Twitter now, that Matt Riddle will now simply be known as Riddle.

Fcuk off.. seriously??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I usually don’t mind the taking away the name as rusev, cesaro and a few made sense but riddle just doesn’t feel right at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Vince doc will be a pure whitewash job.

Would love to see a warts and all version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,528 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Has WWE and Vince approved?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,175 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Has WWE and Vince approved?

They're on board. Any of his controversies will be handled with the kiddiest of kid gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

How long before Riddle is coming out in a green jumpsuit covered in black question marks, with orange dyed hair?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    How long before Riddle is coming out in a green jumpsuit covered in black question marks, with orange dyed hair?

It might be the making of him as character and a personality
    wise hes stale

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭ThePott

beakerjoe wrote: »
    It might be the making of him as character and a personality wise hes stale
    You don't like flip flops?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,186 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Vince doc will be a pure whitewash job.

Would love to see a warts and all version.

Just seen it's a joint venture between WWE and Netflix....I fully expect this to be, true to the industry, a worked shoot. :D

Heyman will definitely be involved for a few "controversial" pre-approved statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Dave going 4.25 on that Orton/Drew HIAC match is wild!

Has Dave released his weighting scale? If so please send me the Cornette reaction vid.

Has Dave released his weighting scale? If so please send me the Cornette reaction vid.

His ratings for HIAC are out. Reigns/Uso is a divisive match so 3.5 is OK I suppose (way higher than I rated it but I understand why) but Orton/Drew was a colossal bore, a generous 3 is where it belongs.

I mean his scale in general. Would be curious to know what's the difference between 4.0 and 4.25

I mean his scale in general. Would be curious to know what's the difference between 4.0 and 4.25

It's all pretty relative. 4 star for me is must watch, anything 4.5 and above is MOTYC stuff.

Annoys me so much how that man's opinion is treated like the fúcking gospel on wrestling matches.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Annoys me so much how that man's opinion is treated like the fúcking gospel on wrestling matches.

Treat it like a guide of what to watch. Dave has seen and reviewed as much wrestling, maybe more, than anyone alive. Usually when he says a match is great I check it out because his opinion is one I respect but I don't think anybody necessarily treats it as gospel, rather it's a useful tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Al Snow:
    "The greatest worker of all time in professional wrestling is Dave Meltzer" ...
    lol. He is right. For a man who has never taken a bump, was never a manager, a road agent, a producer or even the guy working the merch stand, he made a lot of money from wrestling.

Fair play on one hand. On the other his opinion doesn't mean sh*t tho :pac:

I don't get why people so bent out of shape about his ratings tbh. It's an opinion he's entitled to it. He's been following wrestling for a long time so he's got good insight and often offers valid takes. That's not to say I agree with him on everything but certainly if he gives a match a decent rating I'm more inclined to check it out, same way if a flim gets a decent review from someone who's opinion I value I'm more inclined to watch it.

For example I don't watch NXT Uk but if he says the match was 5 stars then I'll check it out cause his 5 star matches in the past have been great. Form your own opinion, it just seems weird to dismiss it outright. I don't agree with all of Mark Kermode's film reviews but I still enjoy hearing his thoughts. Maybe it's just because of the lack of reputable wrestling journalists/reviewers but still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Is it fair to say that Dave meltzer was once one of the top wrestling journalists out there ? Yes at one point it was because what he was reporting for the most part was true because people in all major companies were talking to him including Bruce Pritchard who’s bit on his podcast is ****ting all over him when he gave as much info to meltzer then anyone. My issue is that some wrestlers and some fans today put him on too high a pedestal when his output currently isn’t what it was. I’ve issues with how he interacts with people on Twitter, where there is more than a hint of arrogance to his tweet when someone tries to push back in a constructive way. Jim Cornette is living rent free in his head it seems because he brings him up when there’s reason to do so.

His inability to even remotely criticise AEW is just glaring and you’d wonder is he on their payroll. I’m not saying he is but it would explain a lot. He criticises WWE and he should but if he calls them out he should call out AEW also. I mean he said the young bucks were better then most of the 1980s tag teams FFS. Sorry but not a hope. Bobby Eaton of the midnight express is more talented on an off day with one hand tied behind his back than either of the bucks.

Sorry for going on but he’s due respect for what he’s done but he’s not the pope and isn’t infallible like some make him out to be.

ThePott wrote: »
    I don't get why people so bent out of shape about his ratings tbh. It's an opinion he's entitled to it. He's been following wrestling for a long time so he's got good insight and often offers valid takes. That's not to say I agree with him on everything but certainly if he gives a match a decent rating I'm more inclined to check it out, same way if a flim gets a decent review from someone who's opinion I value I'm more inclined to watch it.

For example I don't watch NXT Uk but if he says the match was 5 stars then I'll check it out cause his 5 star matches in the past have been great. Form your own opinion, it just seems weird to dismiss it outright. I don't agree with all of Mark Kermode's film reviews but I still enjoy hearing his thoughts. Maybe it's just because of the lack of reputable wrestling journalists/reviewers but still.
    I have no issues with him giving ratings, I should've made that more clear. It's the people who treat those ratings like gospel are the annoying part.
    Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Is it fair to say that Dave meltzer was once one of the top wrestling journalists out there ? Yes at one point it was because what he was reporting for the most part was true because people in all major companies were talking to him including Bruce Pritchard who’s bit on his podcast is ****ting all over him when he gave as much info to meltzer then anyone. My issue is that some wrestlers and some fans today put him on too high a pedestal when his output currently isn’t what it was. I’ve issues with how he interacts with people on Twitter, where there is more than a hint of arrogance to his tweet when someone tries to push back in a constructive way. Jim Cornette is living rent free in his head it seems because he brings him up when there’s reason to do so.

Rollins too. When Rollins was the internet's public enemy number 1 last year after his interaction with Will Ospreay, Meltzer decided to pile on and feed chum to his listeners by saying Rollins' gave a speech to the locker room about the Saudi Arabia incident that was "poorly received".

Rollins called him out on it publicly and said it was complete lies. Meltzer backed down but he obviously still bears a grudge as he called Rollins a "Fúcking moron" last week.

I have no issues with him giving ratings, I should've made that more clear. It's the people who treat those ratings like gospel are the annoying part.

Rollins too. When Rollins was the internet's public enemy number 1 last year after his interaction with Will Ospreay, Meltzer decided to pile on and feed chum to his listeners by saying Rollins' gave a speech to the locker room about the Saudi Arabia incident that was "poorly received".

Rollins called him out on it publicly and said it was complete lies. Meltzer backed down but he obviously still bears a grudge as he called Rollins a "Fúcking moron" last week.

Tbh that whole sh1t I have to laugh at. The roster is full of people with a lack of ambition happy to pick up a cheque yet Rollins is the big bad wolf.

Rollins from what I know is a numpty but he's done what the rest of them are simply jealous of and that's become a prized asset in an industry that doesn't have many these days.

I remember when Rollins did that and not the biggest Rollins fan but if something meltzer says is fuller than a Christmas turkey then people should call him on it.

Sure there were the peyton Royce incident and the Bruno sammartino death and wwe put out the msg sell outs that he had or at least their number and Bruno’s funeral hadn’t even happened and you think meltzer could shut up about it ? Of course not. Wrestling in inflation shocker.

That's fair tbh, I see a lot more Meltzer hate these days than before overall. I understand people not thinking he's reputable as a news source anymore, he's off the ball at times more and more but I don't think that dismisses his ratings or criticisms. Although I absolutely agree with whoever said that he puts the kids gloves on for AEW. If the Alex Reynolds situation had happened in WWE he would nail them to the wall.

ThePott wrote: »
    That's fair tbh, I see a lot more Meltzer hate these days than before overall. I understand people not thinking he's reputable as a news source anymore, he's off the ball at times more and more but I don't think that dismisses his ratings or criticisms. Although I absolutely agree with whoever said that he puts the kids gloves on for AEW. If the Alex Reynolds situation had happened in WWE he would nail them to the wall.

Hate ? It’s not hate if it’s legitimate criticism of him. He’s not as reputable as he was. He still has a reputation just it’s not as bullet proof as he once was. His ratings isn’t even something he created for wrestling. He borrowed it and I’ve no issue with him criticising people once it’s done without fear or favour. I don’t like when he gets personal. He used to refer to the junkyard dog as the junkfood dog in the observer which was just unnecessary just because he’d put on weight.

His inability to even remotely criticise AEW is just glaring and you’d wonder is he on their payroll. I’m not saying he is but it would explain a lot. He criticises WWE and he should but if he calls them out he should call out AEW also. I mean he said the young bucks were better then most of the 1980s tag teams FFS. Sorry but not a hope. Bobby Eaton of the midnight express is more talented on an off day with one hand tied behind his back than either of the bucks.

Sorry for going on but he’s due respect for what he’s done but he’s not the pope and isn’t infallible like some make him out to be.

You can have a go at Meltzer for stuff but his Young Buck takes is not one of them. An easy top 5 tag team ever. Masters of a style that many teams openly copy. Proven draws at the top to the point where a literal new company has been built off the back of their (and Omega's) star power and in the ring as good as anything you'll see at putting together a match (without doubt the best multi man match tag team ever). Honestly any great Tag list that doesn't include the Bucks is one I'd instantly disregard and there's probably only 1 or 2 other teams I'd say that about.

You can have a go at Meltzer for stuff but his Young Buck takes is not one of them. An easy top 5 tag team ever. Masters of a style that many teams openly copy. Proven draws at the top to the point where a literal new company has been built off the back of their (and Omega's) star power and in the ring as good as anything you'll see at putting together a match (without doubt the best multi man match tag team ever). Honestly any great Tag list that doesn't include the Bucks is one I'd instantly disregard and there's probably only 1 or 2 other teams I'd say that about.

It’s his inability to even remotely criticise them is my main issue. Apparently they can do no wrong when imo yes they can and do. A top 5 tag team ever ? I can think of at least five teams better than them. The midnight express, arn and Tully, the road warriors, the rock and roll express, the heart foundation, the British bulldogs, demolition. The team formally known as the revival are miles better then any tag team aew has. That’s eight and I could list more.

Yeah and unfortunately teams are copying a style that even at its basics is wrong. They can’t even tag properly ffs. Slapping someone on the back isn’t a legal tag in pro wrestling.

It’s his inability to even remotely criticise them is my main issue. Apparently they can do no wrong when imo yes they can and do. A top 5 tag team ever ? I can think of at least five teams better than them. The midnight express, arn and Tully, the road warriors, the rock and roll express, the heart foundation, the British bulldogs, demolition. The team formally known as the revival are miles better then any tag team aew has. That’s eight and I could list more.

Yeah and unfortunately teams are copying a style that even at its basics is wrong. They can’t even tag properly ffs. Slapping someone on the back isn’t a legal tag in pro wrestling.

It's pro wrestling. Tanahashi routinely makes hot tags while bouncing on the bottom rope, are you going to tell me that Hiroshi Tanahashi is doing wrestling wrong?

A couple of those teams I'd have in my top 5 tag team list, a few are more than dubious and then there's Demolition.. By what metric could anybody possibly consider Demolition a better tag team than the Young Bucks?

Also the shine is very much off The Revival. They've been given the same opponents in AEW as The Bucks have had, The Bucks have consistently come up trumps while FTR have fallen far behind. They're an OK team, whose best matches now look more like the result of circumstance and heavy agent input than ring savvy. They're biggest ever drawing match will be against the Young Bucks, because that's what the Bucks do. Outside of that match, they're two average sized guys with middling charisma, with no record of drawing money and a gimmick that does not match their work. That's FTR.

I still can't get over Demolition...

• Advertisement

Hate ? It’s not hate if it’s legitimate criticism of him. He’s not as reputable as he was. He still has a reputation just it’s not as bullet proof as he once was. His ratings isn’t even something he created for wrestling. He borrowed it and I’ve no issue with him criticising people once it’s done without fear or favour. I don’t like when he gets personal. He used to refer to the junkyard dog as the junkfood dog in the observer which was just unnecessary just because he’d put on weight.
    I'm clearly not saying he's above criticism but I have seen legitimate hate for him as well. Obviously there is valid criticism as I've mentioned.

Advertisement