Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Did it make it any better?

Ah it did in fairness. Swagger was brilliant that night. This was the Smackdown after Mania 26, and it was a time before there was a "big return" on Raw or Smackdown after Mania, as has almost become tradition.

So to see a world title change, after Jericho had retained against Edge 2 nights before, was pretty good. Edge had won the Royal Rumble that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,175 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Sasha in The Mandalorian. She was credited as Mercedes Varnado (which I think is a better wrestling name than Sasha Banks!)

7sffapvuzyy51.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

J. Marston wrote: »
    Sasha in The Mandalorian. She was credited as Mercedes Varnado (which I think is a better wrestling name than Sasha Banks!)

Vinny will have another conniption.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Vinny will have another conniption.

I’ll have to watch the episode but Sasha may be the next to leave wwe.
    I mean this isn’t some wwe studio carry on. This is Disney and the Star Wars universe. If she plays her cards right she might be golden.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Makes sense to credit Sasha under her real name, probably keeps Vince's grubby fingers off whatever she makes while she's appearing in The Mandalorian, though something tells me, she might be more than a bit part role in the show, given who she's aligned with.

And as Itssoeasy has pointed out above, this ain't WWE Studios, this is BIG LEAGUES stuff.

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Makes sense to credit Sasha under her real name, probably keeps Vince's grubby fingers off whatever she makes while she's appearing in The Mandalorian, though something tells me, she might be more than a bit part role in the show, given who she's aligned with.

And as Itssoeasy has pointed out above, this ain't WWE Studios, this is BIG LEAGUES stuff.
    Did they actually market her appearance on Mando all that much? Can't recall seeing much then again I only watch the YT clips.

Did they actually market her appearance on Mando all that much? Can't recall seeing much then again I only watch the YT clips.

I don't think they did. Come to think of it, bar the brief appearance in the trailer, she hasn't been used in marketing much.

I don't think they did. Come to think of it, bar the brief appearance in the trailer, she hasn't been used in marketing much.

I mean WWE, usually they'd be all over that type of exposure even if the role is miniscule.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

disney are pretty secretive they may not want to much publicity going

cause it does not make much sense in wwe not milking it as they generally do

I mean WWE, usually they'd be all over that type of exposure even if the role is miniscule.

Disney are notorious for NDA's, so she could be bound by that, much like Marvel, it's all cloaks, daggers and secrecy.

Although I am open to correction.

• Advertisement

Either way Vince putting the belt on Sasha in hopes of riding the coat rails is all kinds of craic.

He'll have her dropping it to Carmella (:() in no time.

Well it’s probably a good idea because WWE don’t own her real name. I remember seeing the trailer and she was seen briefly and I was shocked and had to double check it was her. Not that’s there anything wrong with WWE studios but it’s not Disney. I mean if she impresses the right people with this then who knows where she can go.

Well she seems pretty ****ing delighted anyways.

https://twitter.com/SashaBanksWWE/status/1327244976057675776

Either way Vince putting the belt on Sasha in hopes of riding the coat rails is all kinds of craic.

He'll have her dropping it to Carmella (:() in no time.

Doubt Disney would even entertain the idea of someone else riding off the coat tails of their IP. Sony being the exception due to Tom Holland being the MCU Peter/Spidey.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well it’s probably a good idea because WWE don’t own her real name. I remember seeing the trailer and she was seen briefly and I was shocked and had to double check it was her. Not that’s there anything wrong with WWE studios but it’s not Disney. I mean if she impresses the right people with this then who knows where she can go.

I too had the same reaction, cause her appearance was dialled way down from what she usually look like.

The character she plays, does sort of have an important role, given who she's aligned with, so maybe this is her testing the waters, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,528 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Zelina Vega gone from WWE

It seems she had the audacity to say she supports unions. What an awful thing to be for. She’ll be fine as from hearing her on podcasts she’s got a good head on her shoulders and has charisma to burn and a full box of matches.

So that's why she set up her Onlyfans.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,528 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I wonder AEW bound with Mr. Vega (Aleister Black)

It seems she had the audacity to say she supports unions. What an awful thing to be for. She’ll be fine as from hearing her on podcasts she’s got a good head on her shoulders and has charisma to burn and a full box of matches.

Ah ok! A “warning” too everyone else too keep quiet so

• Advertisement

When?

I’ve watched the episode of the Mandalorian that Sasha is in and yeah that’s not a bit part. She’s going to be in more episodes or more series. Also, she saved baby yoda and held him and not many characters so far have done that. Big things in her future.

When?

2-3 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

She shouldn't have said anything about a union.
    Age old "dirty word" in wrestling isnt it.

Honestly I think her setting up an onlyfans is stupid. Like fair enough she doesn't want to do nudes. Speaks for what kind of gal she is. But then why onlyfans? ... I know she's not the only one who does the whole non nude thing but it's silly.

Reminds me of the Simpsons joke where homer gets kicked out of the Kwik-E-Mart for reading a magazine while Apu says "this is not a library!"

Then it cuts to a librarian throwing homer out of a library (food in hand) and she says "this is not a Kwik-e-mart!" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Zelina Vega being released is beyond infuriating and pathetic. Whether it was before or after her unionization tweet doesn't matter. Twitter seems to be sketchy with the timeline so I'm not sure myself. She seemed to have been under utilised. Almost harking back to the days where women were just valets to the male superstars. She didn't appear to be given a proper push. Again they have talent but haven't the foggiest what to do with them. Every single superstar that sets or has foot in a WWE ring is bread and butter for Vince. They paid in blood, sweat and tears and more. They've put their bodies through so much for the fans and Vince. Owen Hart died and that still wasn't enough. Multiple wrestlers died way younger than they should have. I hope Thea Megan Budgen formerly known as Zelina Vega finds happiness wherever work takes her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

KKkitty wrote: »
    They paid in blood, sweat and tears and more.

Listen, I agree with your general sentiment, but let's not pretend she was not paid more than you and I would make in a few years to do Tranquilo and to speak on the mic. I like her, don't get me wrong! And her new day podcast appearance shows she loves the business and is sound. Just find people support unions in wrestling... Then when it comes to unions in existence in Ireland, suddenly there is no support so...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Listen, I agree with your general sentiment, but let's not pretend she was not paid more than you and I would make in a few years to do Tranquilo and to speak on the mic. I like her, don't get me wrong! And her new day podcast appearance shows she loves the business and is sound. Just find people support unions in wrestling... Then when it comes to unions in existence in Ireland, suddenly there is no support so...

I know but Jesus Christ on a bike it's beyond petty. Like I would love to have the money celebrities or high earning wrestlers make but not how they make it. Having to do interviews, promoting a movie, album, main event or whatever. Being away from family and friends. Missing out on real connections. Wondering who's your real friends. Living out of suitcases. Owning or renting a house but never really living in it. It genuinely got to me that when Jake The Snake Roberts had to resort to a gofundme equivalent for medical treatment. If unionization was a thing maybe he wouldn't have to stoop that low. Jesse The Body Ventura wanted a wrestlers union but was shut down. The Game is up, The Time Is Now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Not for a union. It's cos of the Twitch stream, which she refused to take down. Weaken the bargaining power of the "independent contractors" so you can pay them less come contract negotiation time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

It's probs a thing for a different thread, and again I agree with your sentiment, but all the sacrifices you listed are part and parcel of a job, and she signed Contract with open eyes to do that job, so much so that she can now make money dressing um in costumes and playing video games online,both of which require talent to be fair.

If she was sacked just because she favored unions, that's ****, just the point I'm making is that anytime nurses, doctors, teachers, luas drivers, an post etc strike, there's no end to the dog's abuse on boards about them, so let's not pat ourselves on the back too much about being better than Vince.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

WWE look like they're eliminating house shows post Covid, it's a double edged sword. On one hand less trável for their roster plus it's a money losing expense for WWE. On the other hand, less reps for wrestlers who need it. There's two folds here, wrestlers who are completely green that'll have limited to no experience working in front of a live crowd and guys who are paid to go to TV who are never used getting rusty. The PC training just isn't comparable to working a crowd. The other thing this will inevitably bring up is the failure of the PC as a training facility. The PC simply does not produce wrestlers ready to step up to roles required on their brands.

Advertisement