Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time travel then

• 06-07-2019 11:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

So what do the good people of After hours think? Is it possible and if it is could you go into the past and the future or could you go just one way?
    My thinking of it is if it were possible that we could go anywhere in the past but as the future has not happened yet you could not go forward in time.

I think if it were/is possible that it would take a lot of power even more than is currently generated on the planet maybe something like a warp drive and that you would need to be going at the speed of light at least to time travel.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If it were ever possible we’d see people visiting from the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

But for there to be time travel the future must have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I love the idea of it and the financial gain that could be got from it, loved the Back To The Future movies and de Sports Almanac, good cleanish fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Aren't we all technically time travellers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

AMKC wrote: »
    So what do the good people of After hours think? Is it possible and if it is could you go into the past and the future or could you go just one way?
    My thinking of it is if it were possible that we could go anywhere in the past but as the future has not happened yet you could not go forward in time.

I think if it were/is possible that it would take a lot of power even more than is currently generated on the planet maybe something like a warp drive and that you would need to be going at the speed of light at least to time travel.

Its possible. I travelled on the Luas red line and some people on that Luas looked out of this world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

What if you from the future turns up on your doorstep having travelled back in time to your present?

Then you know the future has already happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Aren't we all technically time travellers?

Yes. Moving through time one second per second

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

If time travel ever exists then it has always existed....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If time progressing at different rates for different people could be considered time travel then it already exists.

Primer was a good time travel film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭bilbot79

It's not possible as there is no such thing as time. Time is a useful way to describe the ever changing present. So since there is no real past or future there is nowhere to travel to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Time travel hasn't exactly worked out great for Skynet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

bazz26 wrote: »
    Time travel hasn't exactly worked out great for Skynet.

God bless John Connor.

NOT John Connors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Time Travellers - its their culture!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Ferajacka

There has been numerous threads on this before and after time travel was invented.
    Here again is post I gave circa 2025 which outlines how time travel works [...]
    (readers from pre 2025 will only see ... due to the dynamics of time travel and technology.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

_Brian wrote: »

But maybe the time when we discover it has not happened yet and when it does maybe they will have some directive for travelling to the past or a way of being invisible so they could be visiting now and we would never know. But if that was the case and the future has happened then we are the past and our history is already written so can not be changed.

Maybe it has and its as I said above. Maybe there is people from the future watching us now and they are invisible.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Ferajacka

Maybe it has and its as I said above. Maybe there is people from the future watching us now and they are invisible.

Yes correct, hence the ellipses when posts from the future in boards are reposted in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

As long you don't alter the course of history

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually — from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint — it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly... timey-wimey... stuff

Time_Yarn3_3310.jpg

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

Time travel to the future is theoretically possible if we can travel faster than the speed of light.

Stephen Hawking threw a Champagne party for time travellers in 2009, and didn’t release the invitations until after the party had taken place. If people had shown up, he hypothesized, it would be proof that time travel is real. Since people didn’t show up, time travel is not real, probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The unknown future rolls towards me now and for the first time I face it with a sense of hope because a machine, a terminator could understand the value of a human life, maybe we can too

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

You need to get your hands on a Flux Capacitor. Ask your local long haired mad scientist, he should be able to get his hands on one for you. Happy travelling. Beware the space time continuum , be careful with it , it can play havoc. I once assassinated Maurice McDonald in the 1950's, I forget to demand his recipe for the Big Mac sauce, it took years to get out of that loop. Everyone was eating kebabs instead.

Flux_Capacitor_Time_Machine.jpg

If you see an oxymoron while travelling backwards in time from the future you will need to hold your breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Ferajacka wrote: »
    There has been numerous threads on this before and after time travel was invented.
    Here again is post I gave circa 2025 which outlines how time travel works [...]
    (readers from pre 2025 will only see ... due to the dynamics of time travel and technology.)

Yes, and if I recall from that thread in 2025, I made a stupid (but true) comment on Post 23 about the clothes that mods wear are from a different time, and subsequently got banned for that comment.
    Won't make that mistake this time 'round though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

FFred wrote: »
    Time travel to the future is theoretically possible if we can travel faster than the speed of light.

Stephen Hawking threw a Champagne party for time travellers in 2009, and didn’t release the invitations until after the party had taken place. If people had shown up, he hypothesized, it would be proof that time travel is real. Since people didn’t show up, time travel is not real, probably.

Of course, time travellers were never going to show up because it had already happened for them in their past, and from their perspective, no one attended for fear of contaminating their already established path towards the development of time travel technology years down the line. They're not going to get themselves suckerpunched by a rank amateur like Hawking.

That's Time Travel 101 FFS !, and someone like Hawking should have copped onto that rather than trying to trick said travellers.
    It's travellers that do the tricking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Time travel then.

Time travel now!
    Would be great.

1st thing I'd do is go forward to next year's Grand National to find out the winner, then come back to before the race and put €1000 on the winner.

Time travel now!
    Would be great.

1st thing I'd do is go forward to next year's Grand National to find out the winner, then come back to before the race and put €1000 on the winner.

You’d be my favourite type of time traveler. Not too greedy - grand national instead of say the Euromillions. And only €1000 stake. Well played my modest potential time traveller. Well played.

...just travelled into the past & made it €1000 ;)

...just travelled into the past & made it €1000 ;)
    Wow .. me too :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

"The distinction between the past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."
    -Albert Einstein

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭coolguyrko

I won't claim to know anything about it but from what I heard if we did manage to create a time travel machine we could only travel back in time to the point it was created. At least thats what I can remember from a documentary a few years ago. Seemingly cant travel back further than that point.

There is also the whole travelling at light speed scenario which hurts my head thinking about how it works.

• Advertisement

"The distinction between the past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."
    -Albert Einstein

That’s what I was trying to explain to you in the pub next Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It's overrated. I'm still fixing the problems left by the other guys.

Also, time can be rewritten.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

When the Doctor & Rose went back to 1987, he said...
    "The past is another country. 1987's just the Isle of Wight".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

They obviously don't drink Champagne...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

You can't travel faster than the speed of light. We have already done experiments which prove that time is not constant.

Say you were 15 years old when you left Earth in a spacecraft travelling at about 99.5% of the speed of light (which is much faster than we can achieve now), and celebrated only five birthdays during your space voyage. When you get home at the age of 20, you would find that all your classmates were 65 years old, retired, and enjoying their grandchildren! Because time passed more slowly for you, you will have experienced only five years of life, while your classmates will have experienced a full 50 years.

nasa.gov

I don't understand it works, mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I reckon it will be cracked but it will be so far into the future that our time will be irrelevant

People usually throw out the old: "if time travel is possible then surely someone would've stopped Hitler!?" - no one has therefore it's not relevant to the future

Of course it could be that someone did stop Hitler but it turned out he was the lesser of two evils....

Stephen Fry has written a very good book with that scenario, Making History, if anyone's interested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

It's already proven that time travel to the future is possible. They have already proved it with atomic clocks in orbit. The faster you travel the slower time is for you.

So if you were to travel at the speed of light for a little while and return to earth it would be in the future. However there is no way to pick a date. Traveling at the speed of light for 1 year would result in a 10 year advance on earth.

However it is certainly a one way trip.

If a theoretical wormhole existed, backward time travel would be possible assuming the wormhole didn't kill you. But wormholes are purely theoretical and again you wouldn't have any control over the date you arrived at.

Time travel into the future is 100% possible, even been proven. It doesn’t require travel faster than the speed of light (in very simple terms) it just constant acceleration towards the speed of light over a very large distance. The faster you track the slower time moves so if you travel very fast your clock moves slower than that if someone back on earth. Travel fast enough for long enough and you only get a little older while a lot of time passes on earth. When you arrive back you could be far in the future. It’s a one way trip though.

Edit: I didn’t read the whole thread and see this has been posted above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

As anybody who's ever played C&C will tell you going back in time to kill Hitler is a very bad idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

But but but if you can only go back as the future has not yet happened and you went back to say, 1991, the future has not yet happened for the people in 1991 yet you travelled there from their future.

So if a time traveller arrived today from the future how would you explain ‘the future has not yet happened’ part??

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭alan1963

My head hurts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    You need to get your hands on a Flux Capacitor. Ask your local long haired mad scientist, he should be able to get his hands on one for you. Happy travelling. Beware the space time continuum , be careful with it , it can play havoc. I once assassinated Maurice McDonald in the 1950's, I forget to demand his recipe for the Big Mac sauce, it took years to get out of that loop. Everyone was eating kebabs instead.

Flux_Capacitor_Time_Machine.jpg

If you see an oxymoron while travelling backwards in time from the future you will need to hold your breath.

Think I seen one in b&q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

You can't travel faster than the speed of light. We have already done experiments which prove that time is not constant.

Say you were 15 years old when you left Earth in a spacecraft travelling at about 99.5% of the speed of light (which is much faster than we can achieve now), and celebrated only five birthdays during your space voyage. When you get home at the age of 20, you would find that all your classmates were 65 years old, retired, and enjoying their grandchildren! Because time passed more slowly for you, you will have experienced only five years of life, while your classmates will have experienced a full 50 years.

nasa.gov

I don't understand it works, mind you.

These things are always badly explained.

if you travel very fast your clock moves slower

Not to the guy travelling at great speed though. To him the watch is just operating as it should (I believe).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

Future Scientist: We are sending you to 1889. Your mission is to kill baby Hitler.
    It is imperative that you are not side tracked by anything.

Henry Ford: Yes Sir.

These things are always badly explained.

I think having a true understanding requires being fairly intimate with the mathematics that underpin it so that rules me out.

Not to the guy travelling at great speed though. To him the watch is just operating as it should (I believe).

Correct, relative to a stationary clock it travels slower.

This is actually a real issue and were it not accounted for GPS wouldn’t work for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I hope not. If it were possible, to potential for harm would vastly outweigh the potential for good. In short: humans cannot be trusted so keep it out of our hands.

How would it work anyway? Would it operate by Back to the Future rules (one reality that gets replaced if something is changed in the past) or Endgame rules whereby new alternate realities would be created, with the original one in tact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

McDermotX wrote: »
    Of course, time travellers were never going to show up because it had already happened for them in their past, and from their perspective, no one attended for fear of contaminating their already established path towards the development of time travel technology years down the line. They're not going to get themselves suckerpunched by a rank amateur like Hawking.

That's Time Travel 101 FFS !, and someone like Hawking should have copped onto that rather than trying to trick said travellers.
    It's travellers that do the tricking.

Ah, you can't outsmart traveller [carnival] folk. They're the cleverest folk in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Time travel is a reality that satellites have to account for in order to maintain geosynchronous orbits.

GPS sats routinely update their clocks by 45,900 nanoseconds per day to account for their "time travel"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

_Brian wrote: »
    How do you know we don't?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement