Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build

Options
  • 07-07-2019 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hi, it's been 6 years since my last build and while it is still going strong some upgrades would be nice.
    Currently running
    Intel Xeon E3-1230v2, boxed, LGA1155
    8GB-Kit G-Skill RipJaws PC3-12800U CL9
    Powercolor HD7950 PCS+ 3072MB GDDR5
    ASRock ZH77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX
    Corsair 620W PSU
    1TB HDD
    I think the case was an iCute (Picture is not mine)
    $_86.JPG

Can't really find any more info on it than that at the moment as it is in storage.

1. What is your budget? €1000

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming (Mostly Football Manager & Total War games but the option of playing bigger titles even moderately well would be welcome)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Likely the optical drive. Don't know if I'd trust the HDD to carry on as my main drive anymore and doubt the PSU would be able to handle anything newer?

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need. N/A

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1680 x 1050. Not really unless theres a good deal.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Card or cash

9. When are you purchasing? Pretty vague but within the next year but more than likely by the end of 2019. Budget is subject to change but finally starting a permanent job tomorrow so the saving can begin properly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Honestly there is no point spec'ing up a build now if you're waiting that long to buy. Prices change, new stuff gets released, and so on.

I'd say come back a week before you're ready to purchase. If you want to get some longevity out of your current machine, just new GPU would be a good upgrade, your CPU is old but still reasonably OK.

Something like a GTX1660 (199GBP) or GTX1660Ti (249GBP) are very nice upgrades.

Though at 1680x1050....I think the GTX1660 is more than enough, even a 160 pound RX580 is plenty in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭coolguyrko

Honestly there is no point spec'ing up a build now if you're waiting that long to buy. Prices change, new stuff gets released, and so on.

I'd say come back a week before you're ready to purchase. If you want to get some longevity out of your current machine, just new GPU would be a good upgrade, your CPU is old but still reasonably OK.

Something like a GTX1660 (199GBP) or GTX1660Ti (249GBP) are very nice upgrades.

Though at 1680x1050....I think the GTX1660 is more than enough, even a 160 pound RX580 is plenty in fact.

Do you think I could get away with just spec'ing up the GPU & CPU without too much else? I started off thinking that is maybe all thats needed but then think the HDD probably needs replacing and if Im doing that an SSD drive as well would be nice and then RAM is always a cheap upgrade and I'm back to basically building something from scratch especially since I don't know too much about newer products and if my PSU could even deal with newer stuff. My biggest worry is the tower. Its not the biggest in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not really, as a CPU upgrade would require a new motherboard + DDR4 ram. Your CPU is still OK for the latest games, it doesn't 'need' upgrading unless you just want a new PC.

There are no better CPU's for that motherboard really though. It's socket 1155 and the CPU you have is basically an i7-3770.

At 1680x1050, the HD7950 should still be pretty OK in most things at high settings too.

I'd be far more inclined to get a decent 24" 1080P monitor plus a new graphics card, something like a GTX1660Ti will be more than enough, total cost of both would be 400-450.

Of if you just want a whole new PC that's grand, but there's zero point speccing it up now though. I think you definitely need a new monitor though, any new build would be somewhat wasted on that.

Obviously an SSD is a good upgrade too. You can get a 500GB SSD now for very little money.

Maybe think about a new case, a new SSD, new monitor and new GPU for around 600. Or else just sell that PC and come back to us when you have a full budget and are purchasing soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭coolguyrko

Not really, as a CPU upgrade would require a new motherboard + DDR4 ram. Your CPU is still OK for the latest games, it doesn't 'need' upgrading unless you just want a new PC.

There are no better CPU's for that motherboard really though. It's socket 1155 and the CPU you have is basically an i7-3770.

At 1680x1050, the HD7950 should still be pretty OK in most things at high settings too.

I'd be far more inclined to get a decent 24" 1080P monitor plus a new graphics card, something like a GTX1660Ti will be more than enough, total cost of both would be 400-450.

Of if you just want a whole new PC that's grand, but there's zero point speccing it up now though. I think you definitely need a new monitor though, any new build would be somewhat wasted on that.

Obviously an SSD is a good upgrade too. You can get a 500GB SSD now for very little money.

Maybe think about a new case, a new SSD, new monitor and new GPU for around 600. Or else just sell that PC and come back to us when you have a full budget and are purchasing soon.

Thanks for the good advice. At the moment my main concern with games (especially since the majority of time I'm playing football manager) is running games smoothly and quickly rather than needing the graphics to be top notch. Not that it wouldn't be nice but just if I had to prioritise.

I'll stick with the case I have for now if the card I can get fits and a SSD & new HDD would be nice then a montior if I have the cash. When it comes time I'll make sure to come back. Advice is really appreciated.

Advertisement