Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Sligo

Options
  • 07-07-2019 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1 Chiarina

Good morning,
    I'm from Italy, and I'm moving to Sligo in october.

I would like to know, from someone already living here:

- How is life in Sligo and surrounding towns?
    - Are there any public transport from the countryside to the city center? If yes, where could i check them?
    - Are there any near industrial/commercial poles, where i could find a job "easier"? Do you think Sligo has any opportunities for a foreigner?

Since I'm new to Sligo, I accept every kinda advice from everyone!
    Thanks in advance.

ps: I truly loved the city and the Sligo Bay area, so that's why I'm moving there.

Comments

Train to Dublin.
    Buses to Belfast
    Hawkswell Theatre is a good spot to see genuine plays. Cinema in Sligo too, but show mainstream stuff
    For servicing / repairs of you Android) iPhone I'd recommend 'smashtek' above anyone else in that region.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

Chiarina wrote: »
    Good morning,
    I'm from Italy, and I'm moving to Sligo in october.

I would like to know, from someone already living here:

- How is life in Sligo and surrounding towns?
    - Are there any public transport from the countryside to the city center? If yes, where could i check them?
    - Are there any near industrial/commercial poles, where i could find a job "easier"? Do you think Sligo has any opportunities for a foreigner?

Since I'm new to Sligo, I accept every kinda advice from everyone!
    Thanks in advance.

ps: I truly loved the city and the Sligo Bay area, so that's why I'm moving there.

You need to be aware that employment in Sligo wouldn't be as readily available as other cities.

It has decreased in recent years but there is still a large number unemployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

• What type of work are you looking for? Do you have any existing skills or qualifications?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Philburns

Hi Chiarina,

In my opinion Sligo is a wonderful area to live, and as you say you love the area you must have spent some time here and know that already! There is also a nice Italian community here which could be useful support for you.
    Public transport wise rural Ireland isn't well served but it is possible to live in the areas close to the town or on the major travel routes and commute - We live further out and have always had to rely on having a car.
    Employment wise Sligo has definitely been picking up in the last few years and there are more jobs available, depending of course on what your skills are and what you are prepared to do.

Wishing you all the best and I hope the move goes well for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

www.buseireann.ie will show you all the local Sligo bus routes and timetables as well as national routes.

www.irishrail.ie will show you train timetables and stops to Dublin.

Those weblinks are correct, type them manually into browser as sometimes links don't work on here.

Sligo is a great town for social activities as well as music and theater. Jobs are available but probably dependant on what work you do. Eg Service industry there's always something bit for manufacturing less so. Google Sligo Jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lule

Hello :) I am also thinking about moving to Sligo. It seems like it's very nice place to live from my researchers, not crowded and not too touristy, which is great,it still has some peace and quiet.
    Although, coming from Croatia where I am working as a bookkeeper, I don't think there will be many jobs for me in that department.. I am finishing AAT online course to get a certificate in accounting, hoping that will help..any thoughts about that?

• lule wrote: »
    Hello :) I am also thinking about moving to Sligo. It seems like it's very nice place to live from my researchers, not crowded and not too touristy, which is great,it still has some peace and quiet.
    Although, coming from Croatia where I am working as a bookkeeper, I don't think there will be many jobs for me in that department.. I am finishing AAT online course to get a certificate in accounting, hoping that will help..any thoughts about that?

Get your CV together and send it to Sligo recruitment agencies in advance of you coming over. Experience in book-keeping is a good enough skill to have and working towards a recognised qualification will be of great help.

Ask the recruitment agencies for their opinions on your employment prospects.

And start looking at job vacancies in Sligo. If its what you feel like doing, give it a go.

As the saying goes, "Fortune favours the brave". Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

lule wrote:
    Hello I am also thinking about moving to Sligo. It seems like it's very nice place to live from my researchers, not crowded and not too touristy, which is great,it still has some peace and quiet. Although, coming from Croatia where I am working as a bookkeeper, I don't think there will be many jobs for me in that department.. I am finishing AAT online course to get a certificate in accounting, hoping that will help..any thoughts about that?

Are you living in Ireland already?

Advertisement