Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryzen 2000 series have seen a significant price drop in the US, should we expect to s

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

They've already dropped. Plenty of UK sites have the 2600 for £120, 2700 for £180, and their X variants for a little more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

https://www.windowscentral.com/amd-ryzen-5-and-7-processors-are-discounted-right-now-amazon

I'm currently working on a build, based around the Ryzen 7 2700. But if the price is about to drop with the introduction of the 3000 series I might hold off.

What do you think?

Depends what you are doing with it, will you be making use of all 16 threads on the 2700? You may benefit more with a 3600 (higher speed, llbut 6 core, 12 thread) depending on your workload. I would wait to see the respective prices post release.

There may be bargains second hand also on the 2700, given the new processors are compatible with a lot of older motherboards, I would guess a lot of people will upgrade the CPU.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Depends what you are doing with it, will you be making use of all 16 threads on the 2700? You may benefit more with a 3600 (higher speed, llbut 6 core, 12 thread) depending on your workload. I would wait to see the respective prices post release.

There may be bargains second hand also on the 2700, given the new processors are compatible with a lot of older motherboards, I would guess a lot of people will upgrade the CPU.

Hi, I'm not sure honestly, this is my first time doing this. I've done a decent bit of research into the build, but I don't know the answer to whether I need that amount of threads. I simply followed the advice found in articles and videos, set my budget and used PC Part Picker to set it up, and made sure that everything is compatible.

My need for the PC is for a software development course that I'm starting soon, which came with minimum specs for my work. My build exceeds the specs. I also thought I may as well build a mid level gaming PC while I'm at it, so that was the other goal.

Here's my build so far:

AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor

MSI - B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard

Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Toshiba - 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Western Digital - Blue SN500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

MSI - Radeon RX 590 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card

NZXT - H500 ATX Mid Tower Case

Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Nothing wrong with the build. The 2700 probably makes some sense with the price drops, as the new 3600 and 3600X will cost more.

However, in your case to be honest I'd rather get a 2600X and put the saved cash into getting a GTX1660Ti graphics card, considerably faster than the RX590.

2600X is still a great CPU for games and productivity.

Nothing wrong with the build. The 2700 probably makes some sense with the price drops, as the new 3600 and 3600X will cost more.

However, in your case to be honest I'd rather than a 2600X and put the saved cash into getting a GTX1660Ti graphics card, considerably faster than the RX590.

Ok, I'll look into it thanks.

• Advertisement

However, in your case to be honest I'd rather get a 2600X and put the saved cash into getting a GTX1660Ti graphics card, considerably faster than the RX590.

Hey, I'm considering getting the graphics card you recommended. However, I'm not sure what monitors to get that would work with it. The RX590 has two HDMI ports, so I was thinking that I would get two 1080p monitors with the respective hdmi ports.

The card you recommended has one hdmi port, so how would I get a dual monitor setup with this?

Thanks

I have one more question before pulling the trigger, I get the following compatibility notes for the below build.

Note:The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated, two SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports are disabled.

(I'm not using SATA drives, so this should be ok?)

Note:The motherboard M.2 slot #2 shares bandwidth with several PCIe expansion slots. When the M.2 slot is populated with a PCIe M.2 drive, four PCIe expansion slots are disabled.

(Not sure what this means)

Note:Some physical dimension restrictions cannot (yet) be automatically checked, such as cpu cooler / RAM clearance with modules using tall heat spreaders

(Not sure how to manually check this)

The build:

AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor

MSI - B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard

Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Toshiba - 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Western Digital - Blue SN500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

MSI - Radeon RX 590 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card

NZXT - H500 ATX Mid Tower Case

Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

The PCIe slots are what the graphics card plugs into. But the top one will be for graphics card which lanes will be untouched. You will never use the other lower PCIe slots any way as they are only for older computers that do not have USB 3.0 or M2 slots. So you buy PCIe adapters to install a M2 drive or USB expansion card.

edit: That above is in context you could obviously install two or three graphics cards but hardly anybody does that any more.

The PCIe slots are what the graphics card plugs into. But the top one will be for graphics card which lanes will be untouched. You will never use the other lower PCIe slots any way as they are only for older computers that do not have USB 3.0 or M2 slots. So you buy PCIe adapters to install a M2 drive or USB expansion card.

edit: That above is in context you could obviously install two or three graphics cards but hardly anybody does that any more.

Great, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

The card you recommended has one hdmi port, so how would I get a dual monitor setup with this?

Thanks

Usually there's DisplayPort ports, so you can use a DP/HDMI adapter - often they come with the graphics card as well.

I've got a graphics card with 1 HDMI port, 1 DP and a DVI port, and I've got 2 monitors and a TV connected (1 with HDMI , 1 with DP/HDMI and 1 via DVI).

• Advertisement
Advertisement