Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cafe toilets/ lack of toilets, St Stephen's Green Shopping Centre -- legal?

Options
  • 07-07-2019 3:49pm

I rarely bring my daughter into town, because she's a toddler and there's a lack of changing/ toilet facilities for parents with kids.

Today we were buying groceries in Dunnes in St Stephen's Green Shopping Centre, and we stopped by the food area for coffee and some fruit (the coffee was for me). The area has eat-in seating for about 60 people, maybe more.

I was under the impression that there were rules about seating areas, where food and beverages are served, having some toilet facilities for customers. My daughter needed to use the toilet, and I asked a counter assistant where the bathroom was. She told me it was three floors up, and that there are no other toilets in the Shopping Centre.

Walking upstairs with this toddler, I was surprised at the amount of cafes there are with no toilets (that I could see), and then the fact that the toilets were pay-to-use.

Fortunately, I had change, but I often don't carry cash on me.

Is it legal that restaurants and cafes can operate in this way, with hundreds of customers using one single toilet area -- which are pretty small, by the way -- and often have queues, as they had today?

I happen to part-own a cafe in the countryside, and we were advised to built a minimum number of cubicles/ urinals as a proportion of our customer seating. I cannot understand how this can be legal or even appropriate, in terms of customer service. It certainly cannot be legal to charge entry?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

There's no obligation to provide free toilets.

There's no obligation to provide paid toilets.

It might be a condition of a contemporary planning application that toilets would be part of a development.

It is customer unfriendly, the situation of only having toilets in the shopping centre services area and not elsewhere.

Dunnes used to have toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

There's an app called crAPP that gives you the codes for shops toilets around the city, if you're ever stuck.

imme wrote: »
    There's no obligation to provide free toilets.

There's no obligation to provide paid toilets.

It might be a condition of a contemporary planning application that toilets would be part of a development.

It is customer unfriendly, the situation of only having toilets in the shopping centre services area and not elsewhere.

Dunnes used to have toilets.
    Well they don't now, at least not in the dining area at St Stephens Green, which as I have said seats at least 60 people.

I am very surprised to read that you can serve food and drinks to dozens of people and not have to provide a single toilet, and that a dozen outlets in the same development have no such requirement either.

We were given strict instructions on opening our business about public toilet facilities. Dunnes and others might have opened before those regs existed, but surely their subsequent development falls under them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Have little time for lack of toilets in public places or commercial developments that depend of public footfall.

I think your best bet is to contact the managers/ owners of such outlets, advise them that you had a negative customer experience. If they don't come up with a satisfactory explanation, then simply state that you will advise your family, friends and friends of friends of the situation. That'll focus a few minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1988/si/147/made/en/print

Maybe as it’s all under one roof it’s acceptable? There are cafes in Ilac and Jervis as well that don’t have their own toilets

• Advertisement

Sinus pain wrote: »
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1988/si/147/made/en/print

Maybe as it’s all under one roof it’s acceptable? There are cafes in Ilac and Jervis as well that don’t have their own toilets
    That legislation may be out of date, I'm on a phone so can't readily check it.

But even if it's up to date, the washroom facilities in St Stephen's Green are wholly inadequate for the provisions of that SI, given the amount of customers who use the many dining facilities (with seating) throughout the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭mvt

Total lack of public toilets in Dublin, total cop out by Dublin city council & as usual accepted by the people who pay for the city to be run on their behalf.
    Sometimes I despair...

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭No Bills

There is a separate toilet for toddlers beside the pay toilets on the top floor of St Stephen's Green Shopping Centre. 2 cubicals with mini toilets. They have changing facilities in there too.
    If you think of Dundrum Shopping Centre, the individual cafes in the main building don't have their own toilets. The restaurants in the surrounding buildings do. It's true that Dundrum has a lot more communal toilets and that is probably to do with improved regulations.

Toilets attract junkies unfortunately.... Shoppers prefer no toilets to junkies :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

All cafes and food outlets can utilize the existing toilet provisions within the shopping Centre as their requirement to provide toilets. The only requirement is that’s there access to them. So accessible toilets require lifts etc if located on higher floors, and generally the shopping Centre has these already.

Completely normal.

• Advertisement

mvt wrote: »
    Total lack of public toilets in Dublin, total cop out by Dublin city council & as usual accepted by the people who pay for the city to be run on their behalf.
    Sometimes I despair...

Privately owned shopping Centre.
    Privately ran shopping Centre.
    Private sector charge for the use of these toilets.

Yet you blame the council. Have some cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,394 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Not a fan of the paid nature of the Stephen's green one but no issue with it being on the second floor.

That being said I'm a bloke and queues are smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

That Dunnes did have toilets, more than 10 years ago. They were on the first floor where the kids section is now, as part of Timepiece cafe. They attracted junkies and the cleaning was more than they could handle so they got rid of them. Would have been long before what shops and places like McDonald's do now with the codes.

Supermarkets that are part of a shopping centre will not fall under the same rules as an independent coffee shop/restaurant or standalone supermarket. I do think the toilets badly need to be expanded even if that means eating into the exhibition space beside them. Genuinely awful in summer with hordes of tourists queueing but the baby changing facilities are really good.

kceire wrote: »

Hold your horses. I run a cafe, I (quite correctly) am obliged by my local council to provide toilets to a particular standard, and that's entirely appropriate.

Customers ought to have sanitary facilities, this is not too much to ask. It shouldn't even be a council requirement, but if it is, so be it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

As a city Dublin falls way way below par when it comes to adequate toilet facilities. ALL cafes and restaurants should provide toilet facilities to customers. It’s basic decency.

That Dunnes did have toilets, more than 10 years ago. They were on the first floor where the kids section is now, as part of Timepiece cafe. They attracted junkies and the cleaning was more than they could handle so they got rid of them. Would have been long before what shops and places like McDonald's do now with the codes.
    Well, McDonalds have moved with the times, no code required. Brown Thomas don't even ask for a code.

I'm sorry if I sound like a crank, but this business of asking people (even people in wheelchairs, I assume?) to go three floors up and use (paid) washroom facilities is totally beyond what is acceptable in 2019.

Even Michael O'Leary wouldn't get away with this.

There's an app called crAPP that gives you the codes for shops toilets around the city, if you're ever stuck.

1. I can't believe I actually checked...
    2. I can't believe this actually exists :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Cali_girl wrote: »
    1. I can't believe I actually checked...
    2. I can't believe this actually exists :pac:

I can't believe I downloaded and installed it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The kids toilets are free in St Stephens Green...or at least I have never paid for them!

Hold your horses. I run a cafe, I (quite correctly) am obliged by my local council to provide toilets to a particular standard, and that's entirely appropriate.

Customers ought to have sanitary facilities, this is not too much to ask. It shouldn't even be a council requirement, but if it is, so be it.

Its a Building Regulation issue, not a Council requirement.
    Is your Café independently situated, ie. out on its own? If so you must provide Sanitary Facilities in accordance with Technical Guidance Document Part G and TGD Part M.

If you were to locate your Café into an existing Shopping Centre, then you wouldn't have to provide these as you can demonstrate that the SC toilets are there t serve your customers ;)

• Advertisement

Well, McDonalds have moved with the times, no code required. Brown Thomas don't even ask for a code.

I'm sorry if I sound like a crank, but this business of asking people (even people in wheelchairs, I assume?) to go three floors up and use (paid) washroom facilities is totally beyond what is acceptable in 2019.

When was this SC built? It was in compliance with its requirements when built in 1988.
    We didn't even have Building Regulations back then!

If they built it today, then a whole different set of Regulations would be in force. Would you enforce the new Regs onto existing properties?

If that's the case, you would have to upgrade your little Café to the current regs every time they changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭red petal

Yes I agree, it's madness! Especially difficult for those with children or disabilities. Having to leave your food mid eating and having to rush up 3 floors and hope there is no queue when your child has an "emergency" is a terrible customer service experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

spurious wrote: »
    I can't believe I downloaded and installed it. :)

Is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

mvt wrote:
    Sometimes I despair...

Is the point not that the council are copping out by not providing any public toilets and instead relying on private businesses to supply them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Brown Thomas has door staff in fairness to filter out as they please. McDonald's grafton street uses codes, so does Dunnes Henry Street. I agree the toilets aren't sufficient in the centre but I think that is the centre's problem, not Dunnes. And there's no easy fix given the age and type of building that it is and how hemmed in it is.

Its a Building Regulation issue, not a Council requirement.
    Is your Café independently situated, ie. out on its own? If so you must provide Sanitary Facilities in accordance with Technical Guidance Document Part G and TGD Part M.

If you were to locate your Café into an existing Shopping Centre, then you wouldn't have to provide these as you can demonstrate that the SC toilets are there t serve your customers ;)
    Ah I see. And what about having to pay for those toilets? I can't see anything in the regs that provides for a fee.

There are also rules about a minimum number of toilets appropriate to the size and capacity of the premises. The washrooms in SSG seem a little on the small side, given that the centre can accommodate hundreds of diners at once.
    When was this SC built? It was in compliance with its requirements when built in 1988.
    We didn't even have Building Regulations back then!

If they built it today, then a whole different set of Regulations would be in force. Would you enforce the new Regs onto existing properties?
    Hmm, maybe, yes if the property is changed to accommodate more diners. In Dunnes, for example, there wasn't always such a large dining area. That change is fairly recent.

Ah I see. And what about having to pay for those toilets? I can't see anything in the regs that provides for a fee.

There are also rules about a minimum number of toilets appropriate to the size and capacity of the premises. The washrooms in SSG seem a little on the small side, given that the centre can accommodate hundreds of diners at once.

Hmm, maybe, yes if the property is changed to accommodate more diners. In Dunnes, for example, there wasn't always such a large dining area. That change is fairly recent.

Yes, it’s covered in the scale of provision requirements in TGD Part G and makes reference to BS6465 PART 1 from memory.

The requirements aren’t huge.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Isn’t the Stephens Green SC due for a major refurbishment soon anyway?

Yes, it’s covered in the scale of provision requirements in TGD Part G and makes reference to BS6465 PART 1 from memory.

The requirements aren’t huge.
    From memory?
    JupiterKid wrote: »
    Isn’t the Stephens Green SC due for a major refurbishment soon anyway?
    Yes, I've been hearing that for a few years, but I'm starting to think it's not going to happen. It could do with a bit of a refurb, even from an aesthetic viewpoint.

• Advertisement

From memory?

Yes, from my memory. I was typing from the sofa on my phone so I wasn't prepared to open the CIS Library to get the exact British Standard reference. I believe my memory was correct anyhow.

Advertisement