Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers Taking over Carrickpherrish Road.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

There is no place really to home them that isn't affecting someone, be it a pub, a housing estate or a school. So as close as they are to Genzyme and West, they are still a decent distance away from them and as far as I know they haven't caused any issues with those places

About 18 months ago the tinkers lit a fire which affected Sanofi. The smoke came in through the vents and rendered product worth a couple of hundred thousand euros completely useless. So yes, they have caused issues up on that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Is that true? It sounds like a very bad setup in the factory if expensive product can be affected that easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

JohnC. wrote: »
    Is that true? It sounds like a very bad setup in the factory if expensive product can be affected that easily.

They have to get their air from somewhere, often it is an advantage Ireland has, until someone decides to burn the coating off copper wire that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Traveller smoke isn't the only pollutant. If they depend on clean air, I'd expect them to have filtering systems in place. This sounds like a made up story. Is there any verification that this actually happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Motivator wrote: »
    About 18 months ago the tinkers lit a fire which affected Sanofi. The smoke came in through the vents and rendered product worth a couple of hundred thousand euros completely useless. So yes, they have caused issues up on that road.

Maybe one of them could get a job in Sanofi in return for not lighting fires on the property..im sure some of them are intelligent degree-having individuals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

JohnC. wrote: »
    Traveller smoke isn't the only pollutant. If they depend on clean air, I'd expect them to have filtering systems in place. This sounds like a made up story. Is there any verification that this actually happened?

Filters aren’t magic. They can only cope with so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Maybe one of them could get a job in Sanofi in return for not lighting fires on the property..im sure some of them are intelligent degree-having individuals.

Funnily enough, having a degree a lot of the time means, you have a good memory, and can retain a lot of information, for it to be regurgitated later, there's nothing wrong with none academic training such as trades, or even low waged jobs. Would anyone actually employ travelers?

hopefully they'll forget to turn a chip pan off some night in one of they're caravans

There's something wrong with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Funnily enough, having a degree a lot of the time means, you have a good memory, and can retain a lot of information, for it to be regurgitated later, there's nothing wrong with none academic training such as trades, or even low waged jobs. Would anyone actually employ travelers?

I'm in the minority so, I have a degree and a ****e memory :D

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I'm in the minority so, I have a degree and a ****e memory

Haha same here, and ****e of ****e, add and dyslexia rocks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Some of the

Calling for forced sterilisation is a bit far guys don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

erica74 wrote: »
    They could always buy their own land and fûck off.

Can anyone explain the concrete slab "walls" erected behind those new houses, which now house that huge mobile home? The slabs look brand new and are expensive, were they legally/illegally erected by the travellers? Or erected by the council?

and dont forget the two english regs cars.... very nice cars at that...
    tax avoidance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

They are breeding like rabbits too. Heaps of kids running around there firing stones. Hopefully all of the surrounding land gets bought and developed so at least they won't be able to keep those poor horses. Although I'd say they'll figure something out.....

What about the burned out cars that appear on the footpath every couple of weeks and then disappear? I presume the council just rock on up and take them away?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    There's something wrong with you!

That comment about chip pans is in very very poor taste...

Road-Hog wrote: »
    That comment about chip pans is in very very poor taste...

Considering a traveller family in Dublin were killed in an incident three years ago because a chip pan its in very poor taste.

I'll probably be called a big PC lefty from the leafy suburbs but you wouldn't wish that on anybody. That comments in this thread are very worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Considering a traveller family in Dublin were killed in an incident three years ago because a chip pan its in very poor taste.

I'll probably be called a big PC lefty from the leafy suburbs but you wouldn't wish that on anybody. That comments in this thread are very worrying.

True.

Let’s not forget every Traveller adult on that scene was found to be out of it on various stimulants.

The nearest fire hydrants had been broken down with elements stolen by the same people, hampering the efforts of the emergency services.

The survivors later tried to blame the council and Traveller advocates tried to blame everyone but the people responsible for what transpired, even going as far as calling institutional racism.

The children that died in that incident were killed by the adults present. They were victims of Traveller culture.

While it’s nasty and stupid to hope for a repeat, the incident is an example (along with the issue that is the subject of this thread and the manifold other examples) that has ordinary, law-abiding taxpayers furious with the constant toxic behavior of this massively privileged, protected group.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

There is no place really to home them that isn't affecting someone, be it a pub, a housing estate or a school. So as close as they are to Genzyme and West, they are still a decent distance away from them and as far as I know they haven't caused any issues with those places but I feel very sorry for anyone living nearby and the people dropping off and collecting kids from the school.

This might sound brutal and cynical but I suspect they are allowed to stay there because the nearby estates have a bit of a bad name to them anyway so the attitude is "sure what harm are a few more travellers?". That way the Guards wash their hands of them. If they were to set up somewhere on the Dunmore Road, you can be sure they would be moved on quickly.

How about doing what most people do and rent or buy a house .

DeadHand wrote: »
    True.

Let’s not forget every Traveller adult on that scene was found to be out of it on various stimulants.

The nearest fire hydrants had been broken down with elements stolen by the same people, hampering the efforts of the emergency services.

The survivors later tried to blame the council and Traveller advocates tried to blame everyone but the people responsible for what transpired, even going as far as calling institutional racism.

The children that died in that incident were killed by the adults present. They were victims of Traveller culture.

While it’s nasty and stupid to hope for a repeat, the incident is an example (along with the issue that is the subject of this thread and the manifold other examples) that has ordinary, law-abiding taxpayers furious with the constant toxic behavior of this massively privileged, protected group.

Re Your latter comments ie massively privileged protected group....are you being serious......?

There is some serious toxic prejudice views being expressed in the last few contributions.....,,there are plenty of our ‘settled brethren’ whom we could say the same about......boy A and B.......the guy who was arrested last week Re stabbing in Dunmore last year.....travelers won’t be going away any time soon nor will criminal activity be it traveller or ‘settled version’......white South Africans and Americans have managed to ‘deal with’ their minorities without resorting to ‘ethnic cleansing’ so I think us Irish ☘️ will have to also

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I mentioned sterilising them after the videos of them fighting in John Roberts square a while back...

I would mention it again now...…

"Institutional racism" - yer man from Pavee said that about 5 times in 2 mins on a radio station on Tuesday...

Minority = everyone else is racist.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement

Yeah I couldn't believe it over the last few months, my little lad is in Educate Together which is a brilliant school. Passing there regularly and seeing them sprawl all over the place up there is surreal. One had gone in opposite where the main site is but did get moved on after a few weeks.

The ones who went in and just put up a "chalet" in behind the walls at the back of that new housing estate take the biscuit. Imagine having bought a house there and turning up to find that hanging over your back wall?

I'm not exactly right wing on many subjects, but from a life of dealing with them, many of them, on a regular basis I see no benefit to them at all. They contribute nothing to society and would be first on the forced sterilization list if it was up to me!

Obviously that isn't the answer realistically either but its very hard to know how to bridge the gap and encourage them to become decent members of society. They procreate at an alarming rate and I can guarantee you that if they were to ever be in the majority in a country instead of an "ethnic minority" you could forget about them respecting your culture.

This comment is sordid. I get you are frustrated. But advocating for forced sterilisation is Joseph Mengele sort of stuff.

As a father you should be ashamed of expressing such views.

This comment is sordid. I get you are frustrated. But advocating for forced sterilisation is Joseph Mengele sort of stuff.

As a father you should be ashamed of expressing such views.

I just don’t understand the ‘bile’ That people can spout about travelers......there are circa 50,000 according the last census that identify themselves as traveller that is approx 1%.........(is 100% of this 1% involved in criminal activity......? I would think the figure is not a huge amount higher than the ‘settled communities’ involvement in crime) and that is where the so called ‘breathing like rabbits’ has gotten them......their life expectancy is significantly lower than average, a lot to do with the way they choose to live.....so this idea that there is a huge increase in traveller no’s is a myth....

As I said before......the prejudice attitudes of the average Irish guy towards travelers is every bit as bad as the white South Africans towards the blacks and the depth south white’s in America attitude towards the ‘African Americans’......but no paddy Irish man will ever see this....you will be told the travelers are a totally different situation blah blah blah etc etc

There is some serious toxic prejudice views being expressed in the last few contributions.....,,there are plenty of our ‘settled brethren’ whom we could say the same about......boy A and B.......the guy who was arrested last week Re stabbing in Dunmore last year.....travelers won’t be going away any time soon nor will criminal activity be it traveller or ‘settled version’......white South Africans and Americans have managed to ‘deal with’ their minorities without resorting to ‘ethnic cleansing’ so I think us Irish ☘️ will have to also

Much ignorance here.

There is no "us Irish" in this issue, Travellers are just as Irish as the "settled" Irish.

White South Africans were always a minority in South Africa. Recently, overtly racist policies from a black African dominated government coupled with escalating, popular violence against the white minority there has accelerated the exodus of that minority community from its ancestral homeland.

Whether you can call this "ethnic cleansing" is debatable, that racial tension is at insane levels in that country is not. As for the USA, deteriorating race relations and furious, militant racial politics are a massive element in the unprecedented political discord afflicting that unhappy, divided nation.

The point being, if you are holding up South Africa and the USA as examples of countries that "have manged to deal with" their respective racial questions you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

In any event, the Traveller question is cultural, not racial. They are not a separate race. The ill-advised government campaign to have them recognised as a distinct ethnic group was the vanity project of ardent progressivist elements in the Labour Part before it was cast deservedly into the political wilderness, where it has stayed partly as a result of that massive scam. It served only to make some smug fools feel good while investing the Traveller community with yet more rights and yet fewer responsibilites.

The Traveller community is almost wholly dependent on social welfare (officially). The figures I've read are around the 85-90% mark. So, we have a group of people of which the overwhelming bulk do not and are not expected to house, clothe or feed themselves or pay direct taxes. The government provides amply for for them at the expense of the rest of the citizenry, expecting and receiving nothing in return. Everyone else is obliged to work to fund the lifestyles of almost all of them for no return. Members of that community regularly make extraordinary demands of our society that are indulged.

Hence, a massively privileged group.

The mainstream media never criticises Travellers or their culture. Those in politics rarely criticise Travellers or Traveller culture. Members of the Traveller community routinely get away with behaviour that would see ordinary people prosecuted. Any person foolish enough to question Traveller culture in even the mildest, most reasoned way is savaged by the media and establishment (see Peter Casey).

Hence, a massively protected group.

People are sick of it, rightly so.

I just don’t understand the ‘bile’ That people can spout about travelers......there are circa 50,000 according the last census that identify themselves as traveller that is approx 1%.........(is 100% of this 1% involved in criminal activity......? I would think the figure is not a huge amount higher than the ‘settled communities’ involvement in crime) and that is where the so called ‘breathing breeding like rabbits’ has gotten them......their life expectancy is significantly lower than average, a lot to do with the way they choose to live.....so this idea that there is a huge increase in traveller no’s is a myth....

As I said before......the prejudiced attitudes of the average Irish guy towards travellers is every bit as bad as the white South Africans towards the blacks and the depth deep south white’s in America attitude towards the ‘African Americans’......but no paddy Irish man will ever see this.......you will be told the travellers is are a totally different situation blah blah blah

You bleat about prejudice, and then use "paddy irish man" ?!!

greenspurs wrote: »
    You bleat about prejudice, and then use "paddy irish man" ?!!

Did you not notice the inverted commas around the words ‘paddy Irish man’.......was wondering how long it would take for someone to take the bait.

the prejudice attitudes of the average Irish guy towards travelers is every bit as bad as the white South Africans towards the blacks and the depth south white’s in America attitude towards the ‘African Americans’......but no paddy Irish man will ever see this....you will be told the travelers are a totally different situation blah blah blah etc etc

If you are to trying to make a solid comparison between the historic treatment of African-Americans in the Deep South and black South Africans under the Apartheid regime and the way Travellers are treated in modern Ireland you are being massively insulting to the experiences of those former groups.

Much ignorance here.

There is no "us Irish" in this issue, Travellers are just as Irish as the "settled" Irish.

White South Africans were always a minority in South Africa. Recently, overtly racist policies from a black African dominated government coupled with escalating, popular violence against the white minority there has accelerated the exodus of that minority community from its ancestral homeland.

Whether you can call this "ethnic cleansing" is debatable, that racial tension is at insane levels in that country is not. As for the USA, deteriorating race relations and furious, militant racial politics are a massive element in the unprecedented political discord afflicting that unhappy, divided nation.

The point being, if you are holding up South Africa and the USA as examples of countries that "have manged to deal with" their respective racial questions you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

In any event, the Traveller question is cultural, not racial. They are not a separate race. The ill-advised government campaign to have them recognised as a distinct ethnic group was the vanity project of ardent progressivist elements in the Labour Part before it was cast deservedly into the political wilderness, where it has stayed partly as a result of that massive scam. It served only to make some smug fools feel good while investing the Traveller community with yet more rights and yet fewer responsibilites.

The Traveller community is almost wholly dependent on social welfare (officially). The figures I've read are around the 85-90% mark. So, we have a group of people of which the overwhelming bulk do not and are not expected to house, clothe or feed themselves or pay direct taxes. The government provides amply for for them at the expense of the rest of the citizenry, expecting and receiving nothing in return. Everyone else is obliged to work to fund the lifestyles of almost all of them for no return. Members of that community regularly make extraordinary demands of our society that are indulged.

Hence, a massively privileged group.

The mainstream media never criticises Travellers or their culture. Those in politics rarely criticise Travellers or Traveller culture. Members of the Traveller community routinely get away with behaviour that would see ordinary people prosecuted. Any person foolish enough to question Traveller culture in even the mildest, most reasoned way is savaged by the media and establishment (see Peter Casey).

Hence, a massively protected group.

People are sick of it, rightly so.

You can dislike my poor comparisons if you like but ‘prejudices’ towards the ‘travelling community’ is rampant here. They may not be a true ethnic group but they are ‘different’ and there is a serious amount of pre-judging of them.....

If you are to trying to make a solid comparison between the historic treatment of African-Americans in the Deep South and black South Africans under the Apartheid regime and the way Travellers are treated in modern Ireland you are being massively insulting to the experiences of those former groups.

I’m talking about the attitudes of the majority of Irish people towards travelers not about their civil rights which are the same as us all.....just read some of the stuff here on this thread talks of chip pan accidents, sterilizing, breathing like rabbits etc etc

I just don’t understand the ‘bile’ That people can spout about travelers......there are circa 50,000 according the last census that identify themselves as traveller that is approx 1%.........(is 100% of this 1% involved in criminal activity......? I would think the figure is not a huge amount higher than the ‘settled communities’ involvement in crime) and that is where the so called ‘breathing like rabbits’ has gotten them......their life expectancy is significantly lower than average, a lot to do with the way they choose to live.....so this idea that there is a huge increase in traveller no’s is a myth....

As I said before......the prejudice attitudes of the average Irish guy towards travelers is every bit as bad as the white South Africans towards the blacks and the depth south white’s in America attitude towards the ‘African Americans’......but no paddy Irish man will ever see this....you will be told the travelers are a totally different situation blah blah blah etc etc
    Did you not notice the inverted commas around the words ‘paddy Irish man’.......was wondering how long it would take for someone to take the bait.

You do use a LOT of inverted commas....
    But there are none around your Paddy irish man comment.

Your liberal use of them , kind of makes it hard to see what you mean by them …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

I’m talking about the attitudes of the majority of Irish people towards travelers not about their civil rights which are the same as us all.....just read some of the stuff here on this thread talks of chip pan accidents, sterilizing, breathing like rabbits etc etc

You seem to be more concerned with crass comments, on anonymous internet board, than the actual repeated criminal actions of a small subset of society. As to the why, I'm gonna guess you're privileged enough not to be a (frequent) victim of their crimes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement