Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers Taking over Carrickpherrish Road.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Travellers set up home next to Judge Head in The Clouds...then we would see change.

Travellers arent stupid. They won’t bite the hand that feeds them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

Call them out on YouTube. Fight fire with fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

givyjoe wrote: »
    You seem to be more concerned with crass comments, on anonymous internet board, than the actual repeated criminal actions of a small subset of society. As to the why, I'm gonna guess you're privileged enough not to be a (frequent) victim of their crimes.

I haven’t been a victim of a traveller or settled criminals you are correct.does this make me privileged....?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Did you not notice the inverted commas around the words ‘paddy Irish man’.......was wondering how long it would take for someone to take the bait.

Well ???

:confused:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

I haven’t been a victim of a traveller or settled criminals you are correct.does this make me privileged....?

Thought as much. Understandable where your delusion comes from with regard to travellers somehow being victims of their own dysfunctional culture. Just here to lecture the folks who are suffering at the hands of this particular group in Waterford then?

• Advertisement

Thought as much. Understandable where your delusion comes from with regard to travellers somehow being victims of their own dysfunctional culture. Just here to lecture the folks who are suffering at the hands of this particular group in Waterford then?

So how may times have you Been a victim of their crimes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

So how may time have you Been a victim of their crimes

Too many. I had the misfortune of working in area that many lawless travellers used to frequent. Fairly clear you haven't had any sort of regular contact. Simple facts, travellers make up a vastly disproportionate number of the prison population. Make all the excuse you like for them, breaking the law is a choice too many of them seem happy to make.

So again, why are you here if you are not from Waterford/haven't encountered this group in this specific area?

Too many. I had the misfortune of working in area that many lawless travellers used to frequent. Fairly clear you haven't had any sort of regular contact. Simple facts, travellers make up a vastly disproportionate number of the prison population. Make all the excuse you like for them, breaking the law is a choice too many of them seem happy to make.

So again, why are you here if you are not from Waterford/haven't encountered this group in this specific area?

Am I still not entitled to judge on what I think are vile prejudice ott comments by people here

The view here and In the broader community is that travelers are sub-human vermin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I’m talking about the attitudes of the majority of Irish people towards travelers not about their civil rights which are the same as us all.....just read some of the stuff here on this thread talks of chip pan accidents, sterilizing, breathing like rabbits etc etc

Have you ever had to live near them, Road_Hog? Would you object if a crowd of travellers set up home near you?

Have you ever had to live near them, Road_Hog? Would you object if a crowd of travellers set up home near you?

The classic question that is always thrown out. I actually live less than a mile from a haulting site

• Advertisement

Any comment on your Paddy Irish man slur ??

Or are you hoping I leave it drop?
    I don't for one minute believe it was 'bait' as you say.
    Strange how you try to stand up for a belittled minority that you think are being racially slurred, by insulting a whole country.

greenspurs wrote: »
    Any comment on your Paddy Irish man slur ??

Or are you hoping I leave it drop?
    I don't for one minute believe it was 'bait' as you say.
    Strange how you try to stand up for a belittled minority that you think are being racially slurred, by insulting a whole country.

‘Paddy Irishman’ said by an Irish person can hardly be regarded as a slur ....?

Believe what you will and relax about paddy Irish man / ‘paddy Irish man’

You interpret it as ‘Standing up for a belittled’ minority I would regard it as more trying to point out to a majority that they are ‘prejudiced’ not a popular view but so be it

There are views expressed here and in public about travelers thAt are not far away from how the nazi regarded the Jews......suggestions of sterilization, chip pan incidents etc etc

‘Paddy Irishman’ said by an Irish person can hardly be regarded as a slur ....?

Believe what you will and relax about paddy Irish man / ‘paddy Irish man’

You interpret it as ‘Standing up for a belittled’ minority I would regard it as more trying to point out to a majority that they are ‘prejudiced’ not a popular view but so be it

There are views expressed here and in public about travelers thAt are not far away from how the nazi regarded the Jews......suggestions of sterilization, chip pan incidents etc etc

That is BS .
    Selective racism is okay then ??

Prejudiced - Realists morelike.

Liberal snowflakes like using the word prejudiced.
    Its trendy to be on the side of the downtrodden and the 'prejudiced' , mostly for the likes/kudos/retweets ….

That is BS .

Its trendy to be on the side of the downtrodden and the 'prejudiced' , mostly for the likes/kudos/retweets ….[/quote

Is it Possible to be racist when you are part of the race in question yourself....??

You know where you can put your ‘Spurs’

That is BS .

Its trendy to be on the side of the downtrodden and the 'prejudiced' , mostly for the likes/kudos/retweets ….[/quote

Is it Possible to be racist when you are part of the race in question yourself....??

You know where you can put your ‘Spurs’

Look up "Internalised Racism" :rolleyes:

No, sorry I don't know where to put them?
    I know you put Spurs on your boots if you wear boots, and are a cowboy, and ride a horse.....
    But seeing that I have none of the above..... including physical spurs …….
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

It would be interesting to see if the people who have no problems with them take a spin by the crowd in Carrickpherrish and come back saying that their carry on is acceptable.

The classic question that is always thrown out. I actually live less than a mile from a haulting site

That might as well be a million miles away, and don't throw that whole "classic question" crap at me. Its a valid one. You are on this thread looking down on people who are frustrated and use specific terms to describe how they would deal with travellers. The fact is not all of them are bad, but a huge amount of them cause nothing but hassle for their neighbours, have no regard for anyone but themselves and are not in any way productive members of society.

Getting back to my question- if they set up a fleet of caravans in your very estate, would you be ok with that? You would have no problem with passing them every day on the way to and from work, living in close proximity to them?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I feel people are entitled to air their grievances about the traveller situation on that particular stretch of road, I’ve witnessed the goings on numerous times over the last few weeks and my heart goes out to those people who live up there and have to put up with this crap on a daily basis. The idea suggested by one particular user about penning a letter and sending it to all their local representatives is an excellent idea imho as it refusing to pay their LPT until the situation is addressed.

I appreciate that there needs to be haulting sites but what’s going on there is just taking the piss. The official site which has been there for years was fine at the start, but they seem to be parking wherever the hell the like up there now and that massive mobile home needs to be removed.

Whenever there is a thread about travellers on here it always turns nasty, but unfortunately they don’t do themselves any favours and it’s hard for genuine working class people to have any sympathy towards them. We all know a few of the settled traveller families and even they would never defend what those in their communities do to tarnish them all.

The Mcdonaghs caused many problems in Ferrybank over the years and many traveller families in Waterford wouldn’t even associate themselves with them.

It’s hard not to express an opinion that someone isn’t going to take as a form of racism but let’s try and keep things somewhat civil please or else the thread will be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

A lot of truth is been told here, I pass there regularly and I see two young children out on the footpath on their own that look like a pair of twins and my heart is in my mouth when I see them, such a busy road, it's an accident waiting to happen, hopefully not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Yeah I couldn't believe it over the last few months, my little lad is in Educate Together which is a brilliant school. Passing there regularly and seeing them sprawl all over the place up there is surreal. One had gone in opposite where the main site is but did get moved on after a few weeks.

The ones who went in and just put up a "chalet" in behind the walls at the back of that new housing estate take the biscuit. Imagine having bought a house there and turning up to find that hanging over your back wall?

I'm not exactly right wing on many subjects, but from a life of dealing with them, many of them, on a regular basis I see no benefit to them at all. They contribute nothing to society and would be first on the forced sterilization list if it was up to me!

Obviously that isn't the answer realistically either but its very hard to know how to bridge the gap and encourage them to become decent members of society. They procreate at an alarming rate and I can guarantee you that if they were to ever be in the majority in a country instead of an "ethnic minority" you could forget about them respecting your culture.

This comment is sordid. I get you are frustrated. But advocating for forced sterilisation is Joseph Mengele sort of stuff.

As a father you should be ashamed of expressing such views.

You're most certainly entitled to your opinion, I stand by my own. I didn't claim it was "good" and indeed specific state it as unrealistic, but there you go.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

That might as well be a million miles away, and don't throw that whole "classic question" crap at me. Its a valid one. You are on this thread looking down on people who are frustrated and use specific terms to describe how they would deal with travellers. The fact is not all of them are bad, but a huge amount of them cause nothing but hassle for their neighbours, have no regard for anyone but themselves and are not in any way productive members of society.

Getting back to my question- if they set up a fleet of caravans in your very estate, would you be ok with that? You would have no problem with passing them every day on the way to and from work, living in close proximity to them?

If someone sets up camp in ‘my estate’ (big assumption there by the way) or any other estate then they should be asked to move as estates are not haulting sites and it’s illegal to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Plugguy

The first thing is that their dole should be stopped. Not just them but anyone long term unemployed. Let them starve.

And no way should taxpayers be paying for their accommodation.

And our judges should be held to account for leniency (dismissal) against them or any of our other career criminals.

The majority of travellers' who claim social welfare are on Disability Allowance and their partners' claim Carer's Allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

If someone sets up camp in ‘my estate’ (big assumption there by the way) or any other estate then they should be asked to move as estates are not haulting sites and it’s illegal to do so

But that's basically the same as what they are doing in Carrickpherrish.....heap of caravans and the associated tanks of water and stuff just set up on the footpath outside the filthy halting site. They have a load of washing lines connected to the trees beside the footpaths as if it's their back garden. The horses are all over both sides of the road. They walk about the place as if they own the entire stretch of road. The kids go down to the school and throw stones. It looks terrible at the entrance to the city. Its atrocious.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    That is funny ………..

Who would move them ? Gardaí ? Private security? Vigilantes?

No one moves them, THEY move when they want.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    That is funny ………..

Who would move them ? Gardaí ? Private security? Vigilantes?

No one moves them, THEY move when they want.

Glad you find my response so amusing. For some reason as everyone knows and has experience of, sone ‘laws’ are loosely enforced or not enforced at all

Thats still not answering the question. Your first deflection was "Oh typical question asked in these situations" and now your second response is along the lines of "Oh that would never happen". Here is a simple question for you:

If the council offered a plot of land behind your back garden dedicated solely for travellers and give them to space to set up their caravans and live their lives in that area, along with their kids and families, would you have a problem with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I've stopped using that road given the current situation.

Last time - Tuesday evening I think - there were young kids both sides dummying to run out in front of you and/or throwing stones at cars.

Plus the horses on the verges.

Garda and Council need to step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

I passed there again today, they were basking in the sun and not a bother on them, fancy car half hidden behind the wall where the new Dallas home is on blocks, they looked really relaxed like you'd see in San Tropez.I lost my vocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Plugguy wrote:
    The majority of travellers' who claim social welfare are on Disability Allowance and their partners' claim Carer's Allowance.

How do you know this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

But advocating for forced sterilisation is Joseph Mengele sort of stuff.
    Most people would prefer a more instant solution. I'm in Leixlip, and have had a lot of dealings with the "good type" of travellers, but also seen the "bad type" of travellers turn many nice areas into no-go areas. The good ones haven't come back for nearly a decade, as the bad type has turned the town against all travellers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement