Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers Taking over Carrickpherrish Road.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Is this where the halting site is located? The pictures on Google are 10 years old.

jyC3UL2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Wheety wrote: »
    Is this where the halting site is located? The pictures on Google are 10 years old.

jyC3UL2.jpg

yep.... now its all out on to the green area at the road, caravans etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

jyC3UL2.jpg

Jesus that's an eye opener. It's now completely unrecognisable compared to that old picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Road-Hog wrote: »
    I just don’t understand the ‘bile’ That people can spout about travelers......there are circa 50,000 according the last census that identify themselves as traveller that is approx 1%.........(is 100% of this 1% involved in criminal activity......? I would think the figure is not a huge amount higher than the ‘settled communities’ involvement in crime) and that is where the so called ‘breathing like rabbits’ has gotten them......their life expectancy is significantly lower than average, a lot to do with the way they choose to live.....so this idea that there is a huge increase in traveller no’s is a myth....

As I said before......the prejudice attitudes of the average Irish guy towards travelers is every bit as bad as the white South Africans towards the blacks and the depth south white’s in America attitude towards the ‘African Americans’......but no paddy Irish man will ever see this....you will be told the travelers are a totally different situation blah blah blah etc etc

Have a look at the stats on the number of travellers in prison vs the total number of travellers in Ireland and you'll get a better idea of their contribution to our society.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

erica74 wrote: »
    Jesus that's an eye opener. It's now completely unrecognisable compared to that old picture.

Yeah, they have been getting more and more brazen over the last few years. They know they can get away with whatever they want including annexing the entire area now because nothing is ever done to curb them.

As someone said earlier, the council and gardai bear a lot of responsibility for the situation up there. They've turned a blind eye but I suspect this wouldn't happen in other areas of the city. I still dont understand why they put that site at the entrance to the city in the first place. Paying the price now.

Edit: Another caravan and associated van set up on footpath this morning I see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Im a Dub. I live in the roughest part of north inner city dublin, plagued with junkies, gangs of teens, thieves etc.

Only a few days ago whilst visiting family i was unlucky enough to walk past this halting site you are all arguing about.

Well what can i say, absolute trash. I had dogs abuse off the little kids, stones, bottles etc. Being well used to dealing with 'skangers' i wasnt the slightest bit intimidated by these sh!ts.
    Then i had they daddies out hassling me, 3 of them. I stood my ground with them, challenged me to a 'fair knock' which i obliged, then they chamged their mind, started talking about how they all boxed for years etc. Told them how I'd boxed for 13 years. Big chat ensued about tyson bloody fury, about how everyone thinks they are granny robbers etc. I agreed with them for the sake of it and we shook hands and went our seperate ways.

Looking back i wonder, if i wasnt such a confident stand offish individual myself how would it have played out?

I have no sympathy for them at all, they bring all the negative attention on themselves. I was just a random guy out for a run. No need for all the bulls#it. In dublin the young lads have big mouths but its rare you have kids 5 to 10 years old flinging stones and bottles. Ive also never seen so much dirt and rubbish, even in the dublin halting sites and the likes its much more civilized and clean.

If i owned a house in the area I'd sell up, my cousin is staying put and refusing to be hassled out of his home, more fool him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

The reason I asked about that area on Google maps is because I searched Google for Carrickpherish Road. This came up on myhome. I hope whoever is buying it knows what's down the road.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/no-88-woodbrook-carrickpherish-gracedieu-waterford/3275594

Looks like they were only new on Google (2009). Anyone know how much they cost back then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

The reason I asked about that area on Google maps is because I searched Google for Carrickpherish Road. This came up on myhome. I hope whoever is buying it knows what's down the road.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/no-88-woodbrook-carrickpherish-gracedieu-waterford/3275594

Looks like they were only new on Google (2009). Anyone know how much they cost back then?

Looks like it’s had some cultural decoration already. Three houses in a row boarded up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

I'll probably be called a big PC lefty from the leafy suburbs but you wouldn't wish that on anybody. That comments in this thread are very worrying.

Easily known your arent within an asses roar of the place. had your house burglar or your jack russell taken for the warm up act in a dog fight. You continue on as you were.

alta stare wrote: »
    They also rob the council yard on a frequent basis.

In all fairness Boss, why would you go pay for materials for the odd nixer when there are perfectly good free materials next to you. And nobody was using it anyways.

• Advertisement

So how may times have you Been a victim of their crimes

Only the odd time with the house being scoped out and burgled a few days later.
    Had a few kerbs left lying around and caught one of them crawling in the garage "having a look around". Then there were the two dogs (jack russells) that disappeared.

I haven’t been a victim of a traveller or settled criminals you are correct.does this make me privileged....?

Not to be long winded or beat around the bush ...... Yes!!!!. next question!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Funnily enough, having a degree a lot of the time means, you have a good memory, and can retain a lot of information, for it to be regurgitated later, there's nothing wrong with none academic training such as trades, or even low waged jobs. Would anyone actually employ travelers?

You gotta love travellers.
    They know the law better than any solicitor. They know what they are entitled to and how you are discriminating against them, and "you are a racist" gives you a free pass for everything.
    They are more qualified at business and Finance than many students coming out of the Michael Smurfit school in UCD.
    They have a great sense of cultural fashion and trends based on the money Thelma Madine dresses costs and the amount of weddings they attend.
    Their idea of further education up until recently was the Dochas Centre and Mountjoy.
    They are truly social creatures visiting high profile social events like wedding funerals christening and these are reported in the national press. In all fairness they may not be reported in the society pages but the court pages, please let that not detract for the momentum of the event.

They make massive contributions to law enforcement and justice. They have often helped many a guards and social workers private pension with added over time. Many a time they have helped out a lame duck solicitor with Free Legal Aid.

Their contributions at university have not gone unnoticed with them focusing on high demand courses like social care and Traveller studies. They also have a monopoly on the Science and other Stem course.... oh wait that didnt happen.

Arent we so lucky to have them in our little wonderful paradise?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Arent we so lucky to have them in our little wonderful paradise?

Luck! They're here, and they ain't going away, and we don't have a clue what to do about them

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Luck! They're here, and they ain't going away, and we don't have a clue what to do about them

Read the full post.

What to do with them? I have no idea but it involves a length of rope a bucket of glue, a tyre, petrol and a maxim machine gun.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Mod Warning

It's important that people can discuss events and situations that happen in Waterford City. However, that doesn't give people a free for all to suggest harm or methods that are illegal under the law against individuals or groups in Ireland. May I remind you that forced sterilization is classed as genocide!

It's simply not on and is not acceptable in this forum or any other on boards.ie. If you want to spread hate like this then expect to be banned.

Any further discussions of what way travellers should be "taken care" of including violence or forced sterilization etc will be resulting in a very lengthy ban from the Waterford forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

Surely the best way to teach the travellers is by teaching their children. They attend education & surely have to learn how to behave in school & learn right from wrong. How come this is not working?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

jopax wrote: »
    Surely the best way to teach the travellers is by teaching their children. They attend education & surely have to learn how to behave in school & learn right from wrong. How come this is not working?

Because they don't attend education....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The problem with people who defend the travellers like Road-Hog on this thread, who didn't answer my question which in a way kind of did answer my question- is that its very much a case of "I don't mind them at all....but not in MY back garden".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They don't attend and have little interest when they do.

• Advertisement

They were out on the deck chairs on the footpath this afternoon sunning themselves as if they were at the beach. They'll reach the entrance to that nearby estate soon. They are already in front of the walls anyway.

That is a very naive statement. Come into the classroom and see it with your own eyes. When and IF they do come in (big "IF") they are disruptive. Because they arent supported at home with education (mam and dad dont check homework is done), they also cannot support some if not all subjects due to legacy literacy problems. They cannot keep up with the pace and they drop out. This is unfair on the settled children doing their best.

Now someone is going to correct me with someone getting their PhD in SJW studies or Minority Studies from the Travelling community. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Whats the story with that mobile home did they just rock up with that on a lorry and just pick a spot to leave it?

Yep. They have the right to do whatever they want up there dont you know. They own the Carrickpherrish road after all. It's their playground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

How they are not moved on within a day should that lack of policing in this country, its a f**king joke.

They took over a section on the far side of the road a while back and the farmer got an injunction against them I believe. When the gardai moved them, guess where they went? To the entrance of the Gaeilscoil before rocking on up to where they are now after the gardai moved them again. While at the Gaeilscoil, the kids parents were told that they would be bringing the kids into the hall when they were being moved on. Unfair on kids to have to see that going on. Brazen of them to set up shop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

The problem with people who defend the travellers like Road-Hog on this thread, who didn't answer my question which in a way kind of did answer my question- is that its very much a case of "I don't mind them at all....but not in MY back garden".

Am I really defending them.....? Where have I said they should be left alone and do as they please.....the same laws of the state apply to them as they do to Everyone else......some of the views towards travelers expressed here have been very ‘nazi-isque’........

This the root of the issue though. What do you think would happen if I brought a horse to the grass verges in my estate and tied him up there right by the footpath? Maybe throw a few stones at people as they pass by for a bit of fun too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Azatadine wrote: »
    Yep. They have the right to do whatever they want up there dont you know. They own the Carrickpherrish road after all. It's their playground.

Its actually crazy when you think about it,imagine you or I decided to put a mobile home in an empty bit of land in the city it wouldn't be long before it would be moved on thats for sure..

The only way to move them out of the area is people power,everyone needs to come together and show them and the council/gardai that you have had enough..

• Advertisement

.....the same laws of the state apply to them as they do to Everyone else......some of the views towards travelers expressed here have been very ‘nazi-isque’........

The same laws dont apply to them as they are a "recognised Minority". So they cannot be targeted specifically by law enforcement, despite occupying a disproportionate number of Cells in Mountjoy and Dochas. I think travellers take up 15% of the cells despite being only 1% of the population. 80% of Traveller men have a criminal record. These are facts, someone is going to call this "Hate Speech".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement