Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petrol hedge trimmer starting issues

Options
  • 07-07-2019 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I bought a new 2stroke petrol trimmer today. I was following the instructions to start it and i just couldn't get it to happen until i went a against a specific instruction that said put the choke to fully on before pulling the start cord. Instead i left the choke off and it started first time.

Is this a bad thing that it only starts with choke off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

jon1981 wrote: »
    Hi,

I bought a new 2stroke petrol trimmer today. I was following the instructions to start it and i just couldn't get it to happen until i went a against a specific instruction that said put the choke to fully on before pulling the start cord. Instead i left the choke off and it started first time.

Is this a bad thing that it only starts with choke off?

No, it’s absolutely fine, try starting it in winter with the choke and it’ll start first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If you had a few false starts then leaving the choke on might result in it flooding.

Did you prime it with the fuel bulb before starting?
    If its brand new then it will take a few primes (more than in the docs) before any fuel actually reaches the engine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

GreeBo wrote: »
    If you had a few false starts then leaving the choke on might result in it flooding.

Did you prime it with the fuel bulb before starting?
    If its brand new then it will take a few primes (more than in the docs) before any fuel actually reaches the engine

Yeah I primed it, the bulb looked pretty full after I primed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

monkeynuz wrote: »
    No, it’s absolutely fine, try starting it in winter with the choke and it’ll start first time.

Ok so the weather now could be concerned as a warm start?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

if all else fails use this...every household should have it...its got me out of a pickle on numerous occasions

• Advertisement
Advertisement