Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incident at Lost Lane on Saturday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭circadian

Nothing as precious as white people being offended by black racism. Or non travelers being offended when people insult travelers.

Just don't insult gingers or you'll have to answer to me because my 3rd best friend from the age of 5 to 8 was tinged a bit ginger.

Ah right, so people shouldn't defend the rights of others because it doesn't directly affect them?

Here's a reality check, the vast majority of the population don't like racism, don't like sexism, don't like discrimination in any form regardless of whether or not they are a member of the group being discriminated against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

I don't believe you for one second. It's 2019 and unless you're very old and have been living down a hole for the last 50 years, there's no excuse for not knowing that 'coloured' is a racist term. You knew exactly what you were posting.

I'm sure hes broken up knowing you don't believe him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Il Fascista

GooglePlus wrote: »
    It was directed at anyone who isn't white, as it was used to describe exactly that.

It was called out as offensive on this thread by someone who is mixed race, so I don't think we have the right to say otherwise.

The term "person of color" (plural: people of color, persons of color; sometimes abbreviated POC)[1] today is used primarily in the United States to describe any person who is not European American or white. The term encompasses all non-white people, emphasizing common experiences of systemic racism.[2][3] The term may also be used with other collective categories of people such as "communities of color", "men of color" (MOC), and "women of color" (WOC).[4] The term "colored" was originally equivalent in use to the term person of color, but usage of the appellation "colored" in the Southern United States gradually came to be restricted to "negroes".[5]

The feigned outrage is amusing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    I'm sure hes broken up knowing you don't believe him.

He'll survive. I'm sure you and the other racists on here believe him.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

I don't believe you for one second. It's 2019 and unless you're very old and have been living down a hole for the last 50 years, there's no excuse for not knowing that 'coloured' is a racist term. You knew exactly what you were posting.

Black people were always referred to as coloured when I was growing up in the 80s and 90s. I actually thought it was more polite to refer to them as coloured than black but obviously I was wrong. It's probably more ignorance on my part than anything. Theres no racism intended.

Do you think people would have been called racist in 1980s Ireland for using the term coloured?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

If you believe this attacked was carried out by a predominately black gang does that make you a racist?

OwlsZat wrote: »
    If you believe this attacked was carried out by a predominately black gang does that make you a racist?

They werent black they just had a suntan according to one poster earlier.

Yes apparently so.

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    They werent black they just had a suntan according to one poster earlier.

It's actually comical. How libtard do you have to be spout that ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭circadian

It depends on what that belief is based on. Purely because you expect this behaviour from black people? Then yes, that's outright racism. Believing the speculation without any actual concrete evidence as of yet? Maybe, it depends if it's a case of confirmation bias or not.

Honestly, the people that carried out this attack are thugs, there's no two ways about it.

Race shouldn't even be part of the discussion to be fair, it's only those that wish to derail the thread as they have on many others with the ****e about "send them home" etc etc. It's not even thinly veiled at this point, the same posters go into threads complaining about immigrants and blaming minority groups with swathing statements based on little or no facts whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Black people were always referred to as coloured when I was growing up in the 80s and 90s. I actually thought it was more polite to refer to them as coloured than black but obviously I was wrong. It's probably more ignorance on my part than anything. Theres no racism intended.

Do you think people would have been called racist in 1980s Ireland for using the term coloured?

So you've only been down a hole for thirty years then. Right, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Most likely not, but that was 40 years ago and 40 years back again would have most of the country without electricity, so we're slowly getting out of the stone age.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

And has clearly never in his life spoken to a black person.

No I haven't I just never became aware that it was now infact racist to use the term. It wasnt then and nobody has ever corrected me on it until now.

And has clearly never in his life spoken to a black person.

Why do you say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,019 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

News flash we are not in the 80's or 90's. A lot of terms used in those decades are not used anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

No I haven't I just never became aware that it was now infact racist to use the term. It wasnt then and nobody has ever corrected me on it until now.

I'm not even sure I consider it racist. It's just very odd to hear someone using a term that has not been used in Ireland for almost 40 years. That said I don't know what age you are and I am sure there are sill some people in their 70s and 80s still using it.

tuxy wrote: »
    I'm not even sure I consider it racist. It's just very odd to hear someone using a term that has not been used in Ireland for almost 40 years. That said I don't know what age you are and I am sure there are sill some people in their 70s and 80s still using it.

Dont be exaggerating mate, its still used.

News flash we are not in the 80's or 90's. A lot of terms used in those decades are not used anymore

What do you believe led to that word no longer being used?

Dont be exaggerating mate, its still used.

That's exactly what I said, it may still be using by OAPs.

• Advertisement

Probably the vast majority of people of African descent insisting that they would rather be called black.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I'm born in 1991 and I never thought coloured was racist. How? Why? To me it makes no sense.

Surely calling someone black is worse than calling them coloured? What are we supposed to call them? African americans? Ffs

tuxy wrote: »
    Probably the vast majority of people of African descent insisting that they would rather be called black.

I genuinely thought it was acceptable to use it, maybe i didnt get the memo.

I wont use it again it people are thinking it's a racist term, I'm not saying you think it is.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I'm born in 1991 and I never thought coloured was racist. How? Why? To me it makes no sense.

Surely calling someone black is worse than calling them coloured? What are we supposed to call them? African americans? Ffs

I really think people in the 80s and 90s thought it was more of an acceptable/polite term to use to describe black people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,019 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Same reason I suppose words like handicapped or things like black facing are not now used it is offensive

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Grow up fieldog. U asked for links and you got them and you are still deflecting like mad

The Sun newspaper? :D

Yeah, they have never been known to lie about anything, ever....

The Sun is a disgusting rag, and using them as "evidence" to back up your racist tirades, let's just say I'm a wee bit sceptical of their supposed "facts"... :)

Fieldog wrote: »

The Sun is a disgusting rag, and using them as "evidence" to back up your racist tirades, let's just say I'm a wee bit sceptical of their supposed "facts"... :)

What news do consider be to 100% fact? because there are none. Run along now before you get offended by something.

Are you saying it didnt happen ? You complete moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Tasfasdf wrote: »
      What news do consider be to 100% fact? because there are none. Run along now before you get offended by something.

Generally, BBC, Irish Independent is a bit biased but factual, same can be said for RTE, have they reported it?

I'm not offended, far from it...

I'd just like a decent link, preferably not from a tabloid rag, is that too much to ask without being quick to say someone is getting offended if they don't share your views?

• Advertisement

Generally, BBC, Irish Independent is a bit biased but factual, same can be said for RTE, have they reported it?

I'm not offended, far from it...

I'd just like a decent link, preferably not from a tabloid rag, is that too much to ask without being quick to say someone is getting offended if they don't share your views?

BBC LMAO

Advertisement