Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incident at Lost Lane on Saturday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

Fieldog wrote: »
    Generally, BBC, Irish Independent is a bit biased but factual, same can be said for RTE, have they reported it?

I'm not offended, far from it...

I'd just like a decent link, preferably not from a tabloid rag, is that too much to ask without being quick to say someone is getting offended if they don't share your views?

The sun were the only ones with the bollox to print the pictures of these scumbags. And yes they were black scumbags that done it.

Mod

Banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Generally, BBC, Irish Independent is a bit biased but factual, same can be said for RTE, have they reported it?

I'm not offended, far from it...

I'd just like a decent link, preferably not from a tabloid rag, is that too much to ask without being quick to say someone is getting offended if they don't share your views?

I already posted the J. Jonah Jameson laughing gif, so I'll just LOL at you believing that BBC and RTE, both Government funded media are honest.

Edit* Screw it. Found some good ones.

hqdefault.jpg

laughter.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    BBC LMAO

I don't be expecting the BBC to report something like what supposedly happened at an Irish rap gig, what about RTE, have they reported it?

As I said, most media are biased to some degree, but using the Sun as a source of fact isn't really helpful...

Whether they have the "bollox" to report it or not

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    I already posted the J. Jonah Jameson laughing gif, so I'll just LOL at you believing that BBC and RTE, both Government funded media are honest.

Great input there John, good man...

Great input there John, good man...

When you post something so utterly ridiculous that all you need is a laughing meme.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

You have to be a special type of nutjob to think that the BBC or RTE, for all their faults, aren't at least reasonably fair and impartial news sources.

You have to be a special type of nutjob to think that the BBC or RTE, for all their faults, aren't at least reasonably fair and impartial news sources.

Don't make me post more laughing memes. Because sunshine I got a whole folder full of them

Because sunshine I got a whole folder full of them

And very little else, it would appear.

Seriously though, we're talking Gemma O'Doherty levels of paranoiac silliness.

And very little else, it would appear.

Seriously though, we're talking Gemma O'Doherty levels of paranoiac silliness.

When you post something worthy of a serious reply I will.

BBC and RTE are not impartial and it obvious to everyone but the ideological hacks.

BBC for Brexit debates. One Pro Brexit representative, 4 Remainers and the audience stacked with remainers too.

RTE during Abortion: One Pro-Life Representative the other guest all Pro-Abortion. Plus it was found out that they took money to promote Leo's Irleand 2040 plan.

If they were honest and impartial they wouldn't be crying about people not paying the TV license.

BBC and RTE are not impartial and it obvious to everyone but the ideological hacks.

BBC for Brexit debates. One Pro Brexit representative, 4 Remainers and the audience stacked with remainers too.

RTE during Abortion: One Pro-Life Representative the other guest all Pro-Abortion. Plus it was found out that they took money to promote Leo's Irleand 2040 plan.

If they were honest and impartial they wouldn't be crying about people not paying the TV license.

Now you are making sense John, I fully agree with you regarding the above, hence where I said RTE and BBC, both whilst biased, are generally half accurate with their reporting, I'm not saying they are gospel, I said, whilst biased, they are "relatively" accurate...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I'm born in 1991 and I never thought coloured was racist. How? Why? To me it makes no sense.

Surely calling someone black is worse than calling them coloured? What are we supposed to call them? African americans? Ffs

seriously...are you black? no? then don't worry about it

RTE during Abortion: One Pro-Life Representative the other guest all Pro-Abortion.

That isn't even slightly true. Of all the Prime Time, Late Debate, The Week in Politics, Late Late Show, Claire Byrne Live, Sean O'Rourke, etc programmes I watched/listened to in the lead-up to the abortion referendum, both sides were always equally represented. If anything, RTE was too careful with regard to 'balance', literally timing people from either side as they spoke, in case anyone accused them of bias.

Like I said - paranoia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Like I said - paranoia.

A paranoid right wing pro-life Brexiteer, nothing new about that. From memory there was a split in the Love Boats campaign where they had no reps in the debates.
    Boxing.Fan wrote:
    The sun were the only ones with the bollox to print the pictures of these scumbags. And yes they were black scumbags that done it.

Still no proof it was black lads or even the percentage race makeup of the perps as they were masked!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

This is simply not true.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

That isn't even slightly true. Of all the Prime Time, Late Debate, The Week in Politics, Late Late Show, Claire Byrne Live, Sean O'Rourke, etc programmes I watched/listened to in the lead-up to the abortion referendum, both sides were always equally represented. If anything, RTE was too careful with regard to 'balance', literally timing people from either side as they spoke, in case anyone accused them of bias.

Like I said - paranoia.

The BBC also gave equal time to both sides in the Brexit referendum - in fact they were criticized widely afterwards for giving too much airtime to claims that were palpably false, such as the infamous £350 million NHS claim.

The posters here claiming otherwise wouldn't know that of course, as they get their news on Facebook and Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Policing issue either way, shouldn't matter the nationality race or creed of the individuals. How they only have one arrest is beyond me but they need to crack down hard on crap like this.

If by chance there are individuals from other nations involved depending on the severity of the crime then deportation should be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    They werent black they just had a suntan according to one poster earlier.

Same poster that said anti-Antifa members (if that makes sense) were probably using powder on their skin to hide their ethnicity... or something. Can't tell if they're on the wind-up or just a little eccentric, shall we say.

Did you make all that up or just bits of it?

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    I genuinely thought it was acceptable to use it, maybe i didnt get the memo.

I made the mistake of saying ''handicapped spaces'' on here before and was told it wasn't acceptable anymore. Think someone else may have been chewed out for saying ''disabled''. I think differently-abled is the preferred term now.

FWIW, I hate the term Person of Colour. Just say black, white or whatever. Is everyone who's not white considered a ''POC''?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭enricoh

seriously...are you black? no? then don't worry about it

Epic response , a poster asks what should we call them- coloured? Black? African American!?
    Eh, yer not black, so forget about it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭circadian

Omackeral wrote: »
    I made the mistake of saying ''handicapped spaces'' on here before and was told it wasn't acceptable anymore. Think someone else may have been chewed out for saying ''disabled''. I think differently-abled is the preferred term now.

FWIW, I hate the term Person of Colour. Just say black, white or whatever. Is everyone who's not white considered a ''POC''?

I'm personally not a fan of person of colour, it just seems like an extension of coloured which in itself makes me feel like white is normal and everything else is not the norm. I much prefer to be referred to as black or mixed race.

enricoh wrote: »
    Epic response , a poster asks what should we call them- coloured? Black? African American!?
    Eh, yer not black, so forget about it!!

In all my years being here working with people from all over never never ever did I ever have to think about for one second "what to call them "

I dunno man I suppose they would be, I just remember my granny telling me in the 80s that Africans were coloured people and it just stuck. This is a woman that has a mixed race niece and she wasnt racist or anything like it.

Its obvious to me now its not acceptable nowadays anyway and that's fine by me but I genuinely wasnt aware at first.

In all my years being here working with people from all over never never ever did I ever have to think about for one second "what to call them "

That's all fine and well, maybe you're adept at knowing what is and isn't offensive. Others aren't and at the very least would like to know a preferred term for referring to someone.

A few years back a reasonably young fella referred to me as half-caste. He honestly didn't think there was anything wrong with it but when I corrected him and told him what it meant he agreed that it's an awful term. I'd like to think I've saved him from a gaffe later in life.

circadian wrote: »
    A few years back a reasonably young fella referred to me as half-caste.

That is unbelievably still common in Ireland. I don't think people fully grasp with ''caste'' means and I don't think it's generally meant in a bad spirit. I think it sounds so archaic tbh, mixed race is what I'd say.

That is unbelievably still common in Ireland. I don't think people fully grasp with ''caste'' means and I don't think it's generally meant in a bad spirit. I think it sounds so archaic tbh, mixed race is what I'd say.

That's another I thought was grand. I dont know any black people personally can you tell :)

Yeah I could just tell by the way he was talking to me that he hadn't a clue how offensive it is, like you said it certainly wasn't in bad spirit considering we were having a great yarn together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

A few years back a reasonably young fella referred to me as half-caste. He honestly didn't think there was anything wrong with it but when I corrected him and told him what it meant he agreed that it's an awful term. I'd like to think I've saved him from a gaffe later in life.

We’ll have to save a lot of people from said gaffe later in life, this is the problem. Might even have to consider new laws to perturb

I don’t know man I have an oriental friend who complained about a bee stinging her eyes until I got the joke; she was just tired I don’t think there’ll be many problems there down the line. Meanwhile after the spell of good weather I’m still practically indian! If it keeps up I might turn Sri Lankan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

That's all fine and well, maybe you're adept at knowing what is and isn't offensive. Others aren't and at the very least would like to know a preferred term for referring to someone.

I never knew "half-caste" was deemed offensive. It's always just been a word throughout my life that to me meant someone with a black and white parent. As an adult, I have started to say "mix race" in situations where they have a white parent and a parent of different race.

I actually never knew it was spelled as caste. As a kid, it just made sense that someone is half and half.

I guess I'll have to research what the term actually means.

• Advertisement

My sister told me a similar story...there was a new guy in her job and he was from the same area as another colleague and she blurts out "oh I have ya now you're goin out with the half caste" :)

Advertisement