Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incident at Lost Lane on Saturday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,692 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

And there is the rub.
    The state maintains RTE because it allows soft control on content that is put out.
    Because the state controls the grants/ licence fees extended to RTE, this allows the government representatives and state departments to exert soft pressure on what the news agenda is.
    Our news agenda is of the left kind.
    If RTE was taken away, the state would lose that control on the social narrative.
    I am in no doubt that RTE tows the line on the general narrative. Of course the editors have authority on what general content is put out, but on the headline social issues that divide opinion such as Brexit, Trump, Immigration, abortion, LGBT issues, sexual assault allegations, among other things, the message is on song with that of the government.

Those messages are,

Undermine Brexit and promote stories on how bad an idea Brexit is.
    Berate Trump and highlight every mistake he makes, while understating anything positive.
    Only broadcast stories involving immigrants in a positive light whether it be Africa day or some family who done good after coming here fleeing war - but never do a piece on dangerous/ violent immigrants.
    Promote positively the issue of abortion as a right and negatively portray those who would be pro life/ anti abortion.
    Celebrate all things LGBT and trans related.
    Promoting stories of allegations of sexual misconduct against any man made by any woman (sometimes anywhere).

There are others of course. You just have to watch for it.
    For example, where an allegation of sexual assault is made by a woman in any country, you would have to wonder why this would get to be near the top of the bulletins on Irish news.

So when a bunch of lads tip around Dublin with hatchets and petrol bombs, RTE would definitely cover it, at the top of the bulletin no doubt, if they were our own dangerous drug gangs. But if they are new Irish, then because it doesn't fit the message, it may only get a mention online somewhere down the page. Meanwhile, on the TV and radio, we get to hear about a Trans Pride march.

What film is this plot line from?

It's vaguely familiar from some straight to video output.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Just remember when you tell someone that previously acceptable terms are now unacceptable, that in a few years some younger person is going to berate you for using today's PC terms as they are now completely unacceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

enricoh wrote: »
    Epic response , a poster asks what should we call them- coloured? Black? African American!?
    Eh, yer not black, so forget about it!!

In all my years being here working with people from all over never never ever did I ever have to think about for one second "what to call them "

I just call them Leroy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Just remember when you tell someone that previously acceptable terms are now unacceptable, that in a few years some younger person is going to berate you for using today's PC terms as they are now completely unacceptable.

My mam is late 80s. When she was young negro was the polite term. In the 60s she adopted a half Irish /half African baby. By this time "coloured" was the polite term. Calling someone Black in Dublin in the 60s was considered a nasty thing say so by the time the 70s & 80s came along & the preferred term was black, she couldn't do it. To this day she uses the term "coloured". I have heard her use the term half caste too.

I think there is a huge difference between someone using an incorrect term out of lack of knowledge and someone using the incorrect term out of nastiness. Tbh though I'd rarely ever feel the need to describe someone by the colour of their skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

One can never be too polite in their description of these young irishmen:

https://twitter.com/irishsunonline/status/1148480163732185093?s=21

If you have any more information contact the feds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Trying to petrol bomb a nightclub is a serious level of cultural diversity.

The same crisis of criminality that exists in London's black community is going to be replicated here.

500k black males in London, a city of 8 million, yet responsible for circa 60% of gun crime and street violence.

Culture and values do matter. The reason why Kenyans and Ethiopian do well, their kids do well.

The horrendous patenting skills need to be addressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

At the very least it needs to be nipped in the bud at the very early stages in Ireland, so we don't have the same problems as London; otherwise our quality of life will be greatly affected in the future.

Responding forcefully to this type of criminality could influence the direction of these gansta-wannabes.
    Is that going to happen in present day Ireland? Not a chance.
    Diversity is king at the moment and it is being forced on us all at unsustainable levels; no matter the social/financial cost.

Anybody else embarrassed that the USA issued a warning to their citizens in Ireland due to the actions of our new citizens?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Christ almighty the damage petrol would have done in such a closed space is unthinkable. It would have been horrific.should be attempted murder.

Christ almighty the damage petrol would have done in such a closed space is unthinkable. It would have been horrific.should be attempted murder.

Remember the Stardust was an accident yet we’ve been recoiling in horror at how that was allowed happen ever since. Wonder how we’d feel if this went down

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Remember the Stardust was an accident yet we’ve been recoiling in horror at how that was allowed happen ever since. Wonder how we’d feel if this went down

Exactly what I was thinking

• Advertisement

Kivaro wrote: »
    Anybody else embarrassed that the USA issued a warning to their citizens in Ireland due to the actions of our new citizens?

Embarrassed; but not surprised it certainly didn’t catch event security off guard either but regarding what attracted them there in the first place well you have to give the kids what they want. That weekender has been tailored for specific demands now and like our new compatriots is here to stay

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

God help the people who complained about it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Kivaro wrote: »
    At the very least it needs to be nipped in the bud at the very early stages in Ireland, so we don't have the same problems as London; otherwise our quality of life will be greatly affected in the future.

Responding forcefully to this type of criminality could influence the direction of these gansta-wannabes.
    Is that going to happen in present day Ireland? Not a chance.
    Diversity is king at the moment and it is being forced on us all at unsustainable levels; no matter the social/financial cost.

I'm sure there are a few of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭oholly121

What film is this plot line from?

It's vaguely familiar from some straight to video output.

This is actually spot on and not a subplot of some film as you put it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

RTE would make a huge deal about it till they found out the lads who did it werent white and then it would become a forgotten bit of history and not even make reeling in the years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭circadian

I just call them Leroy

You're a funny guy. It's always nice to get called a Paddy or a Mick by someone in England isn't it? I mean, it is a term of endearment at the end of the day.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

circadian wrote: »
    You're a funny guy. It's always nice to get called a Paddy or a Mick by someone in England isn't it? I mean, it is a term of endearment at the end of the day.

Your one sensitive soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

Anyone that takes offence at being called a paddy is grade A snowflake. Thankfully most of us Irish have a sense of humour.

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    Your one sensitive soul.

Not really, but sure stereotypes are fun.
    Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    Anyone that takes offence at being called a paddy is grade A snowflake. Thankfully most of us Irish have a sense of humour.

Aye, being called a "****ing Paddy" or similar is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

Not really, but sure stereotypes are fun.

Aye, being called a "****ing Paddy" or similar is hilarious.

Theres nothing to be offended about being called a Paddy or a mick, I am a Paddy and proud of it. Fellas in the local pub called me paddy instead of my actual name.

It's not on the same scale as calling someone a n****r.

Do you know how these terms came to be used for Irish men?

We actually have female equivalents also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    Theres nothing to be offended about being called a Paddy or a mick, I am a Paddy and proud of it. Fellas in the local pub called me paddy instead of my actual name.

It's not on the same scale as calling someone a n****r.

Not to us here and not now it isn't for sure. But as you go back through the years in places like the UK and US it gets more derogatory and is not used in a friendly way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I lived in England for 2 years and if I had a pound for every time I was called Paddy I would be a rich man. My dad and brother are called Padraic and often called Paddy too.....I couldnt care less to be honest.

If I had a pound for every time I was asked to say thirty three and a third I would be retired by now.

Was asked in America if we were here on holiday or if the potatoes ran out again....didnt care either.

The only people that take offence are those who are somehow ashamed of who they are or where they come from and perceive themselves as inferior or playing the victim. I am neither.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Context is a big part of it too, if someone is just taking the piss about nationality it's not difficult to have a comeback about their nationality and laugh about it. However it can also be used to intimidate or single out someone and that's not a laughing matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

circadian wrote:

It's like the idiots doing the Jamaican accent. "hey Mon, smoke the gangi", when they see a black man.

I lived in England for 2 years and if I had a pound for every time I was called Paddy I would be a rich man. My dad and brother are called Padraic and often called Paddy too.....I couldnt care less to be honest.

If I had a pound for every time I was asked to say thirty three and a third I would be retired by now.

Was asked in America if we were here on holiday or if the potatoes ran out again....didnt care either.

The only people that take offence are those who are somehow ashamed of who they are or where they come from and perceive themselves as inferior or playing the victim. I am neither.

Funny that, I lived in England for several years too. I got called Paddy and Mick on a number of occasions and didn't appreciate it. I know it was a derogatory term, as the saying goes, there's truth in every joke.

I'm far from ashamed of being Irish. I'd like to be afforded the respect I show others, not get stereotyped out of laziness or some sense of superiority. It's a slur, plain and simple.

Friends in England referred to me as a Paddy or Mick at times. That's fine, we're familiar and we take the piss out of each other all the time. Some stranger walking into the pub and declaring "Lads watch your drinks, there's a Paddy behind the bar!" Is a different kettle of fish.

Which brings me back to the Leroy statement. You know full well what you meant by it, it was an attempt at a funny quip but in reality you were reinforcing a stereotype. If someone just started calling me Leroy because of the colour of my skin I would rightly be annoyed, that's not my name and I know why you're saying it.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It's like the idiots doing the Jamaican accent. "hey Mon, smoke the gangi", when they see a black man.

Genesis or Phil Collins have a song from the 80s sung entirely in a fake jamaican accent and it's now hilariously offensive:)

Genesis or Phil Collins have a song from the 80s sung entirely in a fake jamaican accent and it's now hilariously offensive:)

Everyone knows Peter Gabriel was the dogs balls when it comes to Genesis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Sleeper12 wrote: »

Plenty of blacks born in London put on a Jamaican accent or Jafakeican accent even though they've probably never been to the Carribean in their lives. Sums up integration.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Plenty of blacks born in London put on a Jamaican accent or Jafakeican accent even though they've probably never been to the Carribean in their lives. Sums up integration.

What's your problem with "blacks"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Odhinn wrote: »
    What's your problem with "blacks"?

Absolutely nothing. You're the one making presumptions about me thought only racists did that or maybe you are one who knows.

Advertisement