Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incident at Lost Lane on Saturday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing. You're the one making presumptions about me thought only racists did that or maybe you are one who knows.

"black" is a skin colour, and a poor descriptive of people from a wide range of countries and cultures.

What's this all about then - "Sums up integration."?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Odhinn wrote: »
    "black" is a skin colour, and a poor descriptive of people from a wide range of countries and cultures.

What's this all about then - "Sums up integration."?

There are black people in London who were born there that put on Jamaican accents and pretend to be from Jamaica or some I'm told by a person I know who's from there. It shows poor integration as they have lived in London all their lives but yet they don't speak with an English accent.

There are black people in London who were born there that put on Jamaican accents and pretend to be from Jamaica or some I'm told by a person I know who's from there. It shows poor integration as they have lived in London all their lives but yet they don't speak with an English accent.

"told by a person I know who's from there" - a source too impeccable to be challenged.

So no english accent = not integrated?

For somebody who says he has no problem with "blacks" you make a fair number of remarks that seem to have a major problem with "blacks".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Whats offensive about half-caste ? Collins says "people of mixed race or ethnicity". Whats wrong with it as a description ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Heckler wrote: »
    Whats offensive about half-caste ? Collins says "people of mixed race or ethnicity". Whats wrong with it as a description ?

I think it's because it's generally used to describe someone who is half white and never used when it's a mix of other races.

• Advertisement

Heckler wrote: »

It's origins are from a time when it was used to racially categorise a person as lesser.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypodescent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Ah right. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Odhinn wrote: »
    So no english accent = not integrated?

Yes if you were born in a country and lived there all your life you should speak with that countries accent. I don't about you but I was born in Ireland and lived in Ireland all my life and I speak with an Irish accent. Likewise with all my friends and family. I don't see why skin colour or ethnic background should stop someone speaking with a particular accent
    For somebody who says he has no problem with "blacks" you make a fair number of remarks that seem to have a major problem with "blacks".

I don't have any problem with blacks. I believe immigrants regardless of skin colour should integrate into a country and that's just as much the fault of white people for failing to properly integrate immigrants. Also the fault of white people for bringing too many in and making them live together in the same areas effectively turning them into ghettos.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Danzy wrote: »
    Trying to petrol bomb a nightclub is a serious level of cultural diversity.

The same crisis of criminality that exists in London's black community is going to be replicated here.

500k black males in London, a city of 8 million, yet responsible for circa 60% of gun crime and street violence.

Culture and values do matter. The reason why Kenyans and Ethiopian do well, their kids do well.

The horrendous patenting skills need to be addressed.

So what’s your solution?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

Brian? wrote: »
    So what’s your solution?

Well we know what yours is, ignore it all or its racist.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

So I’m Irish and if I move to London I have to adopt a London accent to integrate? Or my kids born there have to have London accents to blend in?

Cop onto yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

So I’m Irish and if I move to London I have to adopt a London accent to integrate? Or my kids born there have to have London accents to blend in?

Cop onto yourself

The poster mentioned people born in London not moving there. Just look at the Irish travellers in England most of them have never stepped foot in Ireland but speak with an Irish accent, because they dont integrate.

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    The poster mentioned people born in London not moving there. Just look at the Irish travellers in England most of them have never stepped foot in Ireland but speak with an Irish accent, because they dont integrate.

People tend to hold onto their identity when the emigrate. Irish people become painfully more Irish when they go overseas. Integration is a nice idea and it works fine here if you actually pay attention and actually get out of the house.
    What’s anyone complaining about immigration doing to help with integration here I wonder

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    Well we know what yours is, ignore it all or its racist.

Yep. That’s exactly what I think we should do. Ignore the race of the people involved and deal with the root causes: wealth disparity, marginalisation.

Why do black men commit more crime in London ?It’s nothing to do with the colour of their skin.

they/them/theirs

People tend to hold onto their identity when the emigrate. Irish people become painfully more Irish when they go overseas. Integration is a nice idea and it works fine here if you actually pay attention and actually get out of the house.
    What’s anyone complaining about immigration doing to help with integration here I wonder

You don’t get it. Telling people they’re only “paper Irish” or not Irish at all helps them integrate in Ireland. It makes them feel welcome, but keeps them in their place.

they/them/theirs

You don’t get it. Telling people they’re only “paper Irish” or not Irish at all helps them integrate in Ireland. It makes them feel welcome, but keeps them in their place.

I don’t get the impression certain posters here would even welcome any immigrants trying to integrate. It doesn’t sound like they know or even have met any.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

I don’t get the impression certain posters here would even welcome any immigrants trying to integrate. It doesn’t sound like they know or even have met any.

They won't, and there's no point trying to convince the hardcore xenophobes.

Other people can be reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

root causes: wealth disparity, marginalisation.

Ah would you ever cop on. Root cause is people being dragged up and turning into scumbags.

Billions of people across the world could be described as poor and marginalised but they still get taught the difference between right and wrong. They develop a moral compass which precludes them from say chasing a young lad into a multi-storey car park and beating the sh1te out of him for no f'ing reason.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

YWhy do black men commit more crime in London ?It’s nothing to do with the colour of their skin.
    Of course it is. It's a huge factor in the mix. Where the hell do you imagine the wealth disparity and marginalisation comes from in the first place, thin air? But no, the "progressive" mind is so bloody skin colour sensitive it ignores the obvious realities.

There are other factors of course. Black Caribbean families are over twice as likely as White and Indian and Pakistani families to be single parent in setup(Black African families are less than Caribbean, so more cultural influences at play beyond skin colour). Absentee fathers are a major social issue and the kids are at a much higher risk of antisocial behaviour and poverty and lack of education. Then again the same "progressive" mind doesn't like to go near that subject either. God forbid the nuclear family with a mammy and daddy is held up as the better environment. Then there are the subcultural aspects at play. The gang mentality. Well if your dad was little more than a sperm donor no wonder they look to slightly older males in the gang environment as role models. Never mind drugs and other criminal activity is more lucrative than working for minimum wage in a shop.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Wibbs wrote: »
    Of course it is. It's a huge factor in the mix.

How so?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Ronaldinho wrote: »
    Ah would you ever cop on. Root cause is people being dragged up and turning into scumbags.

Billions of people across the world could be described as poor and marginalised but they still get taught the difference between right and wrong. They develop a moral compass which precludes them from say chasing a young lad into a multi-storey car park and beating the sh1te out of him for no f'ing reason.

Its the Left's soft bigotry of low expectations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

South Dublin is full of native born white faux Americans who begin sentences with "so" and end them with an inflection. The Irish daughters of Hannah Montana.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Yep. That’s exactly what I think we should do. Ignore the race of the people involved and deal with the root causes: wealth disparity, marginalisation.

Why do black men commit more crime in London ?It’s nothing to do with the colour of their skin.

No, it is culture, values, outlook, family situation.

It is why you can take a person from say India or Vietnam, from poverty we can't imagine and have them do well, their kids live on the nice streets.

Danzy wrote: »
    No, it is culture, values, outlook, family situation.

It is why you can take a person from say India or Vietnam, from poverty we can't imagine and have them do well, their kids live on the nice streets.

But not skin tone. Which is my point

they/them/theirs

Of course it is. It's a huge factor in the mix. Where the hell do you imagine the wealth disparity and marginalisation comes from in the first place, thin air? But no, the "progressive" mind is so bloody skin colour sensitive it ignores the obvious realities.

There are other factors of course. Black Caribbean families are over twice as likely as White and Indian and Pakistani families to be single parent in setup(Black African families are less than Caribbean, so more cultural influences at play beyond skin colour). Absentee fathers are a major social issue and the kids are at a much higher risk of antisocial behaviour and poverty and lack of education. Then again the same "progressive" mind doesn't like to go near that subject either. God forbid the nuclear family with a mammy and daddy is held up as the better environment. Then there are the subcultural aspects at play. The gang mentality. Well if your dad was little more than a sperm donor no wonder they look to slightly older males in the gang environment as role models. Never mind drugs and other criminal activity is more lucrative than working for minimum wage in a shop.

Culture is an issue. Not skin tone. It has no part to play.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

But not skin tone. Which is my point

I never thought Some one on the modern Left would think that.

Genuinely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Il Fascista

So on one hand there's the stance that we must allow these people to live in our country, then on the other there's the stance that we marginalize them once they live here. If we didn't let them in we'd be called heartless, yet when they're let in we're supposedly the cause of their suffering. So conveniently it's our fault regardless of what we do and never theirs. White guilt truly is a sickness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Ethnic minorities, particularly Black minorities are more likely to be poor, disadvantaged, have lower employment stats, more likely to be raised in single parent families(almost exclusively mothers) and more likely to live in more ethnically weighted areas, all factors more likely to result in more crime and antisocial behaviour. Both as perpetrators and victims.

And yep and as I said before I most certainly do not deny that racism from the background population is a large chunk of that as an influence. Kids growing up being told on the one hand they're Irish, but not quite believing it because of their personal experience that tells them something different is going on in the mind of others. Which is wrong. However I'm a realist and reality has shown time and time again that this stuff is pretty innate with populations worldwide; those that are sufficiently different to the main population and are around in sufficient numbers are seen as The Other. And that is a major problem with this idea of multiculturalism.

I agree with the above. Humans as a species are generally insular. Who'da thunk that, despite hundreds of years of history of it. Forced multiculturalism is only putting dangerous ingredients into a pot that will eventually explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

So on one hand there's the stance that we must allow these people to live in our country, then on the other there's the stance that we marginalize them once they live here. If we didn't let them in we'd be called heartless, yet when they're let in we're supposedly the cause of their suffering. So conveniently it's our fault regardless of what we do and never theirs. White guilt truly is a sickness!

Damned if you do, damned if you dont.

• Advertisement

What a gross oversimplification.

If people commit crimes, they are to blame. 100%.

As for "white guilt", that's not something I suffer from. I don't feel guilty for anyone's suffering, I didn't cause it either directly or indirectly.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement