Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Incident at Lost Lane on Saturday

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I can't claim how the FBI or CIA gather intelligence but I'm guessing one of these idiots mentioned Petrol Bomb on social media & the US Government software picked up on the word bomb.

Can anyone throw any light on this? ( again pun not intended)

thanks to Assange and Snowden most of us know exactly how the US gathers intelligence and thats through the 5 eyes program, the whole worlds communication goes through 5 specific points and they mirror the traffic, store it indefinitely and filter it looking for keywords or patterns, welcome to 1984

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Ted Johnson

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Quick hypothetical.

What about an Irish citizen but his/her parents come from Africa but this person has an Irish passport, what should happen to him?

A very heavy jail sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

<SNIP>

Do not debate a mod instruction on thread. Please contact the mod directly or raise in the Help Desk if you wish to discuss further.

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

pure.conya wrote: »
    thanks to Assange and Snowden most of us know exactly how the US gathers intelligence and thats through the 5 eyes program, the whole worlds communication goes through 5 specific points and they mirror the traffic, store it indefinitely and filter it looking for keywords or patterns, welcome to 1984

That is nothing like 1984

Also, if you are born here after 2005, you are not automatically an Irish citizen. There are a lot of young migrants here who are not Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Also, if you are born here after 2005, you are not automatically an Irish citizen. There are a lot of young migrants here who are not Irish.

One of the smartest things done here. Get rid of Birthright citizenship.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    One of the smartest things done here. Get rid of Birthright citizenship.

Yes. And I believe we were the last country in Europe to do so.

Topdolla wrote: »
    The US embassy knew this was going to happen??? Wtf I've worked at concerts and never has a weapon got in, at lesser concerts people are pat down, metal wands should of been used at longitute, how did they get knifes and hatchets in is an absolute joke and tbh it's sounds like some sort of conspiracy **** either America is using the NSA to spy on us all

Snowden and assange proved to us that the NSA and GCHQ spy on us all, every text, phonecall, video chat even the private ones between you and the missus, every mouse click, even the path your cursor travels across or rests on the screen all gives info away on us, in fact if you type out a Google search but decide not to click search for whatever reason and press delete, its to late, what you were thinking about searching for has been logged, Google the 5 eyes program, welcome to 1984

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

We aren't taking about 14 year olds here trying to get into the nightclub at 1am. All were born before 2005 so that argument is dead in the water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Your family is irrelevant to me. People who move to Ireland behave like scum need to be kicked out. Skin colour and ethnic background makes no difference

Well it makes a difference to me. Even if I had the colourblind deficiency I wouldn’t be entirely blind - it’s not like in the 90s where you would gladly assume that guy that was likely adopted was irish. We see so many equatorial people now that we automatically aassume continent of appearance that’s just how it is - and forever shall be now that we’re long since bypassing the sweet spot; the threshold it’d take a strange kind of bird to assume they were irish.

• Advertisement

We aren't taking about 14 year olds here trying to get into the nightclub at 1am. All were born before 2005 so that argument is dead in the water

Yes lad...I'm talking in general here.

That is nothing like 1984

really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

So your ramblings have no bearing on the events over the weekend? Just general anti immigrant comments just for the sake of it?

Think it's time for me to leave the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Ah, so you are generally racist. Gotcha.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I don’t know if generally includes prior to mass immigration but it will turn many more at this rate. One of the few remaining certainties which you can be sure

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

pure.conya wrote: »
    really?
    Yeah, really P. Or at least in one major way different; the vast majority of personal information gathered is gathered by corporations and we sign up in droves eager to share it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I think it can be fixed or improved upon over a period of several decades.
    Well I admire your optimism. No I do S, I don't mean that sarcastically. On a personal and emotional level I actually like "progressives/liberals", because they are optimistic, open, hopeful. On an practical level I just can't agree with their conclusions, because a very long history and the experience of many cultures demonstrates their hope is pretty much always dashed against the rocks of reality.

The reality is show me a multicultural society that is the better for being a multicultural society. And no, seeing different faces and cultures and Uzbek restaurants doesn't really cut it. Even societies that were built as colonies on the back of multiculturalism have major social problems within them, because of it. The Americas, North and South can be a shitshow because of it. Europeans and Arabs going into Africa did that continent no good and let's watch how the recent Chinese influence in that region plays out. Europe? Yes, France, Italy, Sweden, Holland, the UK and so on would have social problems all of their own without multicultural influences, but they have more because of them.

Of the multicultural societies that did work historically they have one thing in common; the main culture is extremely self confident, views ethnic minorities as guests and/or expected to kowtow to the central culture and brooked zero dissent against it and responded to such dissent aggressively. QV Rome, the early Islamic Caliphate, even China(historically and today). In many ways the irony is the most successful multicultural societies historically have been anything but "liberal".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Not automatically. Unless your parents are habitually resident in Ireland when you’re born. So I would the vast majority of immigrants children born in Ireland are Irish citizens.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well I admire your optimism. No I do S, I don't mean that sarcastically. On a personal and emotional level I actually like "progressives/liberals", because they are optimistic, open, hopeful. On an practical level I just can't agree with their conclusions, because a very long history and the experience of many cultures demonstrates their hope is pretty much always dashed against the rocks of reality.

The reality is show me a multicultural society that is the better for being a multicultural society. And no, seeing different faces and cultures and Uzbek restaurants doesn't really cut it. Even societies that were built as colonies on the back of multiculturalism have major social problems within them, because of it. The Americas, North and South can be a shitshow because of it. Europeans and Arabs going into Africa did that continent no good and let's watch how the recent Chinese influence in that region plays out. Europe? Yes, France, Italy, Sweden, Holland, the UK and so on would have social problems all of their own without multicultural influences, but they have more because of them.

Of the multicultural societies that did work historically they have one thing in common; the main culture is extremely self confident, views ethnic minorities as guests and/or expected to kowtow to the central culture and brooked zero dissent against it and responded to such dissent aggressively. QV Rome, the early Islamic Caliphate, even China(historically and today). In many ways the irony is the most successful multicultural societies historically have been anything but "liberal".

Do you ever get in to the solution space? This is where the real hard work needs to be done. Everyone can see the problems with their own eyes, I’m not sure of the benefit of pointing them out repeatedly and am pretty sure they have a negative effect.

No one seems to ever come up with a sensible solution.

Edit: I mean those who oppose multiculturalism never seem to have a sensible way forward

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

Brian? wrote: »
    Do you ever get in to the solution space? This is where the real hard work needs to be done. Everyone can see the problems with their own eyes, I’m not sure of the benefit of pointing them out repeatedly and am pretty sure they have a negative effect.

Edit: I mean those who oppose multiculturalism never seem to have a sensible way forward

As oppose to what liberals who want unlimited immigration to make problems worst without solution and ignoring the problem.

• Advertisement

Yeah, really P. Or at least in one major way different; the vast majority of personal information gathered is gathered by corporations and we sign up in droves eager to share it.

and you think these corporations aren't sharing their data either voluntarily or by force and not able to talk about it publicly? they're part of the systemic spying and many get well paid for their cooperation by way of massive government/military contracts

So your ramblings have no bearing on the events over the weekend? Just general anti immigrant comments just for the sake of it?

Think it's time for me to leave the thread

Ok, bye.

Not automatically. Unless your parents are habitually resident in Ireland when you’re born. So I would the vast majority of immigrants children born in Ireland are Irish citizens.

If that was true the left would not be desperate to reintroduce birthright citizen here.

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    As oppose to what liberals who want unlimited immigration to make problems worst without solution and ignoring the problem.

That’s a tired old strawman. I don’t know anyone who wants unlimited immigration. There’s just varying levels of control.

they/them/theirs

What is obsession you people have with 'racism'? Pointing out that birth tourism ended in 2005 makes you a racist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

That’s a tired old strawman. I don’t know anyone who wants unlimited immigration. There’s just varying levels of control.

So you support controlled immigration?

If that was true the left would not be desperate to reintroduce birthright citizen here.

It is true. Why do you think it isn’t?

Do I need to post the legislation? If you are habitually resident, I think 5 of the last 7 years, then your child is entitled to Irish citizenship.

they/them/theirs

Stephen15 wrote: »
    So you support controlled immigration?

If course I do. I’ve said it many times.

they/them/theirs

I suppose the biggest difference between us is that you feel this can be fixed and I feel it can't and further believe that this is an innate side effect of multiculturalism.

There seem to be other differences, maybe cultural, maybe because of attitudes in host countries. EG take single parent families. If we look at the UK(as stats aren't available for here)

Almost half the black children in Britain are being raised by single parents, new Government figures reveal. A quarter of all youngsters live in one-parent families – treble the proportion in 1972, according to the Office for National Statistics. The biggest percentage of lone-parent households is among black ethnic groups. Forty-eight per cent of black Caribbean families have one parent, as do 36 per cent of black African households. Single-parent families are less common among Indians (ten per cent), Bangladeshis (12 per cent), Pakistanis (13 per cent), Chinese (15 per cent) and whites (22 per cent). Nine out of ten single-parent families are headed by mothers. Children who grow up without their biological father are more likely to be unemployed, commit crime and leave education early, according to research by think tank Civitas. They are also twice as likely to be homeless.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2007/04/10/race-divide-on-single-parents-251523/?ito=cbshare
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

Melanin levels have little to do with it. After Afro Caribbeans and African families come Whites. Indians and others from that region have the lowest rates. This is reflected in US stats too. Black Americans have the most single parent families, Asian Americans the least, with European Americans somewhere in the middle. There seems to be strong cultural influencers outside of skin colour. Note how in the UK African folks have lower rates than Caribbean folks. Same colour and "race". In Ireland the last time I looked Traveler families have much lower rates of single parent families compared to background. Same colour and "race".

Trouble is that talking about one-parent families as an issue is taboo now.

Well one solution would be a pre-emptive one. It would work if applied in time but they were called racists and the powers that be pushed ahead.
    The scale and kind of immigration we see now goes completely against what I would think of as leftist ideals but they've allied themselves with the eternal optimists so the shitshow shall keep on rolling.

• Advertisement

It is true. Why do you think it isn’t?

Do I need to post the legislation? If you are habitually resident, I think 5 of the last 7 years, then your child is entitled to Irish citizenship.

Yes but the days of birth tourism are over. No more arriving in Ireland at 9 months pregnant to squeeze out a kid.

Advertisement