Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incident at Lost Lane on Saturday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

klaaaz wrote: »
    Like the the one arm that is possibly tanned from sunburn? I see a set of white ears though.

Spec savers, you there mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Tasfasdf wrote: »

Yes i am. I'm white with a tanned arm from the recent sun, it's entirely possible that if I was masked from head to toe and showing off my arm in a similar photo, that I would be mistaken as a member of another race.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

specsavers cant make someone see what they do not want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Why are people so adamant that this wasn't commited by immigrants? Y'know, non white Africans? Coloured lads?

It's not racist to state facts.

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    specsavers cant make someone see what they do not want to see.

The son of Ivor Callely was recently up in court for setting off a firework in Copper Face Jacks so middle class youths have the ability to be violent in nightclubs too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

The son of Ivor Callely was recently up in court for setting off a firework in Copper Face Jacks so middle class youths have the ability to be violent in nightclubs too.

Did you try to blindly defend him too?

Did you try to blindly defend him too?

What? He was caught and publicly identified as the suspect in the firework bombing, that's a middle/upper class youth.
    The Lost Lane place is one of the most expensive nightclubs where such people like middle/upper class youths hang about assuming they are old enough to attend as per club policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭circadian

Why are people so adamant that this wasn't commited by immigrants? Y'know, non white Africans? Coloured lads?

Coloured lads? Did you arrive here from the 50's? **** me.

circadian wrote: »
    Coloured lads? Did you arrive here from the 50's? **** me.

It's a commonly used phrase here in this country to describe people of colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Not in Tipperary anyway, what part of the country do you live in?

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    Not in Tipperary anyway, what part of the country do you live in?

I live in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

3093649.large.jpg

Mod:

"Commonly used" != "not racist".

RocketRaccoon, don't post in this thread again. Others, choose your words more carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

What? He was caught and publicly identified as the suspect in the firework bombing, that's a middle/upper class youth.
    The Lost Lane place is one of the most expensive nightclubs where such people like middle/upper class youths hang about assuming they are old enough to attend as per club policy.

1) its no longer the ‘exclusive’ place it once was
    2) you nanaged to find one incident where a middle class kid did something, up jext you’ll be referencing the anabelles nightclub incident decades ago. Which makes 2 incidents for the kiddle/upper class vs daily incidents from the welfare classes

mike_ie wrote: »
    3093649.large.jpg

Mod:

"Commonly used" != "not racist".

RocketRaccoon, don't post in this thread again. Others, choose your words more carefully.

My apologies I wasnt aware that some people feel it's a racist term.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

J
    Yes i am. I'm white with a tanned arm from the recent sun, it's entirely possible that if I was masked from head to toe and showing off my arm in a similar photo, that I would be mistaken as a member of another race.

My goose was well and thoroughly cooked inside two hours I am defo being taken for an indian now. See back in the day that wouldn’t have happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

Its not considered racist that just the personal bias instead of moderating.

Ive googled it and nothing says racist about "coloured people"

Its not considered racist that just the personal bias instead of moderating.

Ive good it and nothing says racist about "coloured people"

Probably a new thing....

Dunno, maybe being mixed race makes me a sensitive snowflake to being called coloured or maybe it's an offensive term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Il Fascista

This is very confusing. Progressive types regularly use the term "person of color", so is it only racist when used by people who aren't progressive?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Fieldog wrote: »
    The Sun, the bastion of real and factual news reporting, pity no actual footage...

Grow up fieldog. U asked for links and you got them and you are still deflecting like mad

• Advertisement

1) its no longer the ‘exclusive’ place it once was
    2) you nanaged to find one incident where a middle class kid did something, up jext you’ll be referencing the anabelles nightclub incident decades ago. Which makes 2 incidents for the kiddle/upper class vs daily incidents from the welfare classes

You managed to attack the "welfare" class if there was such a thing despite clubs like that are frequented by the middle to upper class. What incidents have there been in well to do clubs that have been caused by poor people who cannot afford to attend such places? Quite amazing the bigotry towards poor people.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

You managed to attack the "welfare" class if there was such a thing despite clubs like that are frequented by the middle to upper class. What incidents have there been in well to do clubs that have been caused by poor people who cannot afford to attend such places? Quite amazing the bigotry towards poor people.

The very incident we’re talking about. Sure look at this history of nightlife in the recent times in the city. The wright venue has had double digit news story counts about violence, the living room, sin nightclub etc... there is definitely a class distinction among venues in dublin and violence often follows the ones targetted at working class / welfare class people.

There is an undeniable link between socio economic status and violence.

circadian wrote: »
    Dunno, maybe being mixed race makes me a sensitive snowflake to being called coloured or maybe it's an offensive term.

People of colour or Black people if you like, were very rarely seen in Ireland pre 90s. People of colour was a term used to describe black or brown people. I can assure you there was no racism meant by using that term. Theres a hundred other words people could use if they wanted to denigrate a coloured/black/brown person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

This is very confusing. Progressive types regularly use the term "person of color", so is it only racist when used by people who aren't progressive?

'Coloured' was the term in question, no?

It's down to the history of the use of the word and I suppose it's up to the person it's directed at to decide if they're offended by it or not, not us.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    'Coloured' was the term in question, no?

It's down to the history of the use of the word and I suppose it's up to the person it's directed at to decide if they're offended by it or not, not us.

In this case it wasnt directed at anybody.

Must be great fun for you when you go to Cork and get called 'boy'.

Not really. It's the exact same as being called "lad" when I go home to Derry and interchangeable colloquial term. Coloured isn't.

In this case it wasnt directed at anybody.

It was directed at anyone who isn't white, as it was used to describe exactly that.

It was called out as offensive on this thread by someone who is mixed race, so I don't think we have the right to say otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Nothing as precious as white people being offended by black racism. Or non travelers being offended when people insult travelers.

Just don't insult gingers or you'll have to answer to me because my 3rd best friend from the age of 5 to 8 was tinged a bit ginger.

Nothing as precious as white people being offended by black racism. Or non travelers being offended when people insult travelers.

Just don't insult gingers or you'll have to answer to me because my 3rd best friend from the age of 5 to 8 was tinged a bit ginger.

The lack of intelligence is what I find most offensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I don't believe you for one second. It's 2019 and unless you're very old and have been living down a hole for the last 50 years, there's no excuse for not knowing that 'coloured' is a racist term. You knew exactly what you were posting.

Advertisement