Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling / running glasses

Options
  • 08-07-2019 8:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭

I'm posting here because I'm not really sure which forum and I spend more time around here..

I'm training for adventure races and cycling / running , I've only ever had cheap prescription sun glasses and I'm sick of it , fog up all time, taking them off , back on ,

I see the Oakley's but DAM they're expensive , I dont really have a problem spending that kind of money but it be great to get something that would do for both the running and cycling ..

Edit. Just to clarify I have contacts now ....

Any recommendations please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Oakley flak jacket xlj, all the way - great direct and peripheral vision and there is a hydrophobic coating on the lenses, which handles rain really well.

Otherwise...
    https://www.cyclingweekly.com/group-tests/seven-of-the-best-sunglasses-test-20180

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

my choice would be the oakley radar prizm, and i'd make sure i got the prizm lens, they are superb.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/oakley-radar-ev-path-prizm-road-sunglasses/rp-prod145830

wore a pair of these all day at ironman lanzarote , well the bike and run portion, and they never bothered me once.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭G1032

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Oakley Jawbreaker for me, both running and cycling. Great peripheral vision with them, you would forget they are on

fair to say you're probably looking at oakley then :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

I don't get the whole oversized glasses fad at the moment - Simon Yeats pushing it to the extreme...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mossym wrote: »
    fair to say you're probably looking at oakley then :)
    there's a fairly well known journalist who is a keen cyclist, i wonder what he would recommend.

https://twitter.com/roakleyIRL

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Izoard wrote: »
    I don't get the whole oversized glasses fad at the moment - Simon Yeats pushing it to the extreme...

Its a resurgence from a prior trend in the early 90s(I think).

IMO they're nice (Not me!)

C-PD1nAXUAMEE-5.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Julbo, French brand.......have a pair of Julbo Shield.

https://www.julbo.com/en_gb/lunettes-de-soleil/shield#216=459&318=2457

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I've been using UK brand Sunwise for years, for Skiing, Cycling, and Running. Quality build and won't break the bank (unless you go top end)

Worth a look anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Got these on a Kickstarter. Same manufacturer as Aftershokz and, already having a pair of them I knew they'd be good. Arrived last week. Great piece of kit:

https://optishokz.com/

he mentioned racing, not sure how the bone conduction might bypass the rules but most races rightly do not allow headphones.

he mentioned racing, not sure how the bone conduction might bypass the rules but most races rightly do not allow headphones.

He mentioned training for racing

so at the end of the training there is a .....race?

otherwise it's just training.

on a side note, i think integrating the headphones into the sunglasses is daft. what do you do if you need to use a treadmill? when it's not sunny? you end up buying a separate pair of headphones anyway (and you'll need to buy a separate pair of glasses for racing if you can't wear these with the headphones)

what happens if the electronics break (all headphones do), i suppose you still have a pair of overpriced sunglasses.

so at the end of the training there is a .....race?

otherwise it's just training.

on a side note, i think integrating the headphones into the sunglasses is daft. what do you do if you need to use a treadmill? when it's not sunny? you end up buying a separate pair of headphones anyway (and you'll need to buy a separate pair of glasses for racing if you can't wear these with the headphones)

what happens if the electronics break (all headphones do), i suppose you still have a pair of overpriced sunglasses.

Whatever, if you say so.
    The OP asked for recommendations so I gave them one. If it doesn't suit so be it, I'll move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

G1032 wrote: »

Thanks for all the advice. ...

Turned out to be an expensive week as had to book my holiday and a few bills so I actually bought a pair of k3s plus a photochromic lens from siroko.

I bought 11am yesterday and they arrived from Spain at 13.15 today.....now that's fast...

They look very good in fairness and a few guys who were very sceptical about my choice said they were pleasantly surprised...

I will use them over next week or so and get back on thread how they are doing if anyones interested ....

I still intend getting oakleys but might be later in year or next.

I'll post a few images of my glasses

Oh price was 48 euro . ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

How do you rate the photochromatic lens? I've always been tempted to get some but remember reading when they were first released that the transition time is a bit of an issue, not these in specific mind you but photochromatic lenses in general. The Sirokos are well priced and very tempting indeed, they also offer a fiver off for signing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I bought 11am yesterday and they arrived from Spain at 13.15 today.....now that's fast...
    Oh price was 48 euro . ..

Slam and dunk!

Got a pair of the Sirokos earlier in the spring and they're very good value glasses for the price. I haven't actually used the extra photochromic lens I bought but the main one doesn't fog up on climbs.

Changing the lens is a bit finicky though and feels like I'm gonna snap them one day but hasn't happened yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

T-Maxx wrote: »
    , they also offer a fiver off for signing up.

Better advice is to go all way to basket ....leave over night and dont buy....next day they say

" we see you didnt go through with sale...heres another 15% off "

The 5% for new customer was reason I didnt go through with buying as when I added the promo Code for 5% it says it doesnt work as they are in sale .....they're always in sale .....!!!!

The extra 15% next day was game set and match .....

Like I said a few guys at work are club cyclists and they were very surprised at quality...well worth a try ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Danville

Better advice is to go all way to basket ....leave over night and dont buy....next day they say

" we see you didnt go through with sale...heres another 15% off "

The 5% for new customer was reason I didnt go through with buying as when I added the promo Code for 5% it says it doesnt work as they are in sale .....they're always in sale .....!!!!

The extra 15% next day was game set and match .....

Like I said a few guys at work are club cyclists and they were very surprised at quality...well worth a try ....

I went to buy them this morning, left the order in the basket and took the dog for a walk.
    When I returned an hour later I got offered the 15% discount as advised previously and completed my purchase.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

For anyone on a budget like mine I recommend giving the sunglasses on Ali Express a go.

I bought an imitation pair of Oakley flight jackets for around 12 - 15 euro a few months ago. They've done their job fantastically for the price and are even cheaper than the affordable, super ugly name brands. Obviously it requires compromising on fit, build & lens quality but I can drop them without having a heart attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Danville wrote: »
    I went to buy them this morning, left the order in the basket and took the dog for a walk.
    When I returned an hour later I got offered the 15% discount as advised previously and completed my purchase.

Thanks!

How is the 15% offered? Ive left a pair in the basket since this morning but no sign of the extra discount

Advertisement