Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Think Eir are running Fiber around our estate...

• 08-07-2019 9:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

weird timing on this one. Last week, i read about broadband.ie, and signed up. NOTE: I live in Tallaght in Dublin, and do have 400/40mb broadband from Virgin Media business, but more bandwidth is always welcome. Anyway, singed up, and got the confirmation email. they said that they could offer 90/20 though VDSL, and i was put on a watchlist.

Friday morning rolls around and i get a call from them asking if i was interested in VDSL. I explain that i have broadband, its the 1Gb/s link i am looking for (If i am reading correctly, its 1000/100, which 100Mb/s up would be very useful for my work!). Anyway, they say they will keep me on the watch list and get back.

Driving into the house later Friday afternoon, i see a couple of vans parked in the housing estate running what looked like fiber. Didn't see any names on the vans, and didn't get out to look at that stage, but later that evening, i parked up and they manhole covers are marked Eircom, and have white spray-paint on them... Check around a bit and top of the road has the same, and same with the one halfway down the road.

So, long story boring: it looks like Eir are running fiber around the housing estate, but no mention of it on the OpenEir site... how would i confirm?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭ACLFC7

Enter your Eircode here: https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

ACLFC7 wrote: »

Its only showing VDSL as being available... last updated 25 June. Given they were just running cable on Friday, i am assuming it would take a bit of time to light it up... Any ideas how long? Seen on one of the rural threads that it could be 12 weeks... Same for urban?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

OpenEir signed contracts for Urban FTTH back in May but we've not seen any town lists (I think) like Trial and Rural schemes had.

Its possible its FTTH prep work, or its work to connect a new cabinet, the map which is no longer updated shows two unfinished cabs.

BUT, there is a "Rural FTTH" route mapped from the Tallaght Exchange south to Old Bawn then up to Ballinascorney. Id only expect that to connect customers close to the cemetery up that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

They did publish a list of towns. Tallaght is not on it bizarrely enough. Although the rather odd Dublin - Dublin row could cover it I suppose.

https://www.eir.ie/pressroom/eir-launches-0.5-billion-fixed-network-investment-programme/

ED E wrote: »
    OpenEir signed contracts for Urban FTTH back in May but we've not seen any town lists (I think) like Trial and Rural schemes had.

Its possible its FTTH prep work, or its work to connect a new cabinet, the map which is no longer updated shows two unfinished cabs.

BUT, there is a "Rural FTTH" route mapped from the Tallaght Exchange south to Old Bawn then up to Ballinascorney. Id only expect that to connect customers close to the cemetery up that way.

Seen that route, and it's no where near me. I'm in Balrothery... there is already 2 cabs servicing the estate and those 2 unfinished are, again, nowhere near the new runs. I will keep my eye out and keep this updated if I see anything new.

• Advertisement

They did publish a list of towns. Tallaght is not on it bizarrely enough. Although the rather odd Dublin - Dublin row could cover it I suppose.

https://www.eir.ie/pressroom/eir-launches-0.5-billion-fixed-network-investment-programme/

You would think Tallaght would be big enough to single out... but could be old info...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

lotas wrote: »
    You would think Tallaght would be big enough to single out... but could be old info...

I imagine it would be part of their plan. High density housing is what they are aiming for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Interested in this as I'm living in Tallaght myself. There was KN vans going around here last week but it was virgin media upgrades.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Interested in this as I'm living in Tallaght myself. There was KN vans going around here last week but it was virgin media upgrades.

yea, Virgin Media did upgrade our area last month. I got notice a few days in advance (advantages of being a business customer) but they these works did not mention KN on the Van, and it was Eircom manhole covers... More digging required...

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

KN vans going around, but was for virgin media.

Had a chat with the lad as he was installing the wires and he reckoned nothing from Eir. Said they might be doing some surveys soon, but that wouldn't even be at the planning stage so going to be a long time before fibre is available.

Fuucking useless place, fibre enabled on map. I contacted the government office on it who said it should be available, to get a few rejection emails/letters and to forward onto them. Would encourage anyone else to do so as wel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭jd

KN were definitely surveying around Northwood in Santry for FTTH. I think the guy I was talking to said January/February 2020

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

In relation to Santry, I was visiting a few weeks ago, and met some KN guys working.
    Had a quick chat, and they said they were just installing ducting for fibre (candy strip coloured roll) - basically they were just running the ducting between access points. Due to issues with tree roots, they had run into some blockages, and they would have to come back with the heavies to sort out.
    Spoke to another lad later, who said that they were working for Eir, and that Eir would be blowing the fibre themselves later on in the year - he mentioned some project name which I did not recognise.
    Calimed they were doing all of Santry and surrounding areas (he even mentioned going down as far as Belcamp) - not sure if it's all the connections to the Santry Lane exchange.
    Area is currently served by VM, and I also think most of the cabinets on the Santry Exchange has has been upgraded to FTTC as well.
    Did not realise Eir were interested in proving FTTH into well services areas like Santry - Interesting times ahead!

So, quick update: last Thursday I was heading into the estate early and noticed the KN vans in the area, with the sign "working on behalf of OpenEir". Didnt get a chance to pull in and ask questions, but Saturday rolled around, i was heading out, and 2 lads where in a KN van at the top of my road. I pulled in, and asked, and they said they were doing testing, and that it should be live within 2 weeks. so, given that, it would be a little over 5 months since i first saw them running cables. Keeping my eye on AirWire website... fingers crossed it happens soon...

Advertisement