If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I use an external sound card instead of an AV Receiver?

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi

I'm currently setting up a projector. I have the Optoma HD27HDR projector. 
    I have a set of Z607 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System but no AV reciever.

If I am using a laptop as the source, can I use one of these (cheaper) external sound cards instead of an AV receiver?

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/pcs/sound-cards/50423/creative-sound-blaster-x-fi-51-pro-review

thanks!
    Hi Ethereal Cereal,

I would still recommend an AV receiver as it will allow you to connect via HDMI and power a 5.1 speaker system. The link you sent me states the sound card can't process the maximum DVD sampling rates so it's unlikely you will get true 5.1 via DTS or True HD. You would also need to connect the source directly to the soundcard as the soundcard does not have HDMI inputs so you would need to connect the source to the projector via HDMI and the source to the soundcard via optical or analogue.

Also do you already have an amplifier to drive the speakers already? An AV system will have built in amplification as well as sound processing and is a much easier way to connect to a projector and definitely the route I would recommend.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

Hi

If I am using a laptop as the source, can I use one of these (cheaper) external sound cards instead of an AV receiver?

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/pcs/sound-cards/50423/creative-sound-blaster-x-fi-51-pro-review

thanks!
    Hi Ethereal Cereal,

I would still recommend an AV receiver as it will allow you to connect via HDMI and power a 5.1 speaker system. The link you sent me states the sound card can't process the maximum DVD sampling rates so it's unlikely you will get true 5.1 via DTS or True HD. You would also need to connect the source directly to the soundcard as the soundcard does not have HDMI inputs so you would need to connect the source to the projector via HDMI and the source to the soundcard via optical or analogue.

Also do you already have an amplifier to drive the speakers already? An AV system will have built in amplification as well as sound processing and is a much easier way to connect to a projector and definitely the route I would recommend.

Kind regards

David
    Thanks for the reply David, 

I don't have an amplifier to power the speakers so you're right, thats probably the route Im going to go. 
    I'll start pricing, looking into different setups. 

cheers

• Company Representative Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi

thanks!
    Hi Ethereal Cereal,

Kind regards

David
    Thanks for the reply David, 

I don't have an amplifier to power the speakers so you're right, thats probably the route Im going to go. 
    I'll start pricing, looking into different setups. 

cheers
    No problem Ethereal Cereal, if you let me know what sort of budget you're working with I can look at a few options for you.

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.