Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advertised PWT position becomes Fixed Term

Options
  • 08-07-2019 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,
    I applied for a teaching position advertised as Permanent Whole Time (PWT). I did the interview (which also stated PWT) and got offered the job.
    When I got the contract, it said "3 year fixed"

I asked HR about it. I explained that the position was advertised as PWT. They are now saying that it is a fixed contract position.

Has anyone come across this before? You would imagine, if you advertise something, then interview people, then you have to honour what they say!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Ben2018 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I applied for a teaching position advertised as Permanent Whole Time (PWT). I did the interview (which also stated PWT) and got offered the job.
    When I got the contract, it said "3 year fixed"

I asked HR about it. I explained that the position was advertised as PWT. They are now saying that it is a fixed contract position.

Has anyone come across this before? You would imagine, if you advertise something, then interview people, then you have to honour what they say!

Quite the opposite in fact, jobs are generally "a post that may arise...." which means until you get the actual job offer rather than the interview outcome, it could not actually materialise. They can change the terms of the job, the same way you can say no thanks. PWT is never really seen any more and it was probably an error.
    UNfortuantely its not like tesco price promise, you're not entitled to anything being honored plus it was made known to you prior to a contract being signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

But how can they offer 3 year fixed term? Teachers have to reinterview for their job after 1 year, so how can they be offered a 3 year contract on that basis? And also if they are capable of offering '3 year fixed', something I've never heard of, then surely it is a permanent job but they just don't want to make the OP permanent, but at the same time aren't many fixed term contracts only for the school year with no summer pay? Schools can't even offer multiple year contracts for career breaks as teachers can only apply for 1 year at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

But how can they offer 3 year fixed term? Teachers have to reinterview for their job after 1 year, so how can they be offered a 3 year contract on that basis? And also if they are capable of offering '3 year fixed', something I've never heard of, then surely it is a permanent job but they just don't want to make the OP permanent, but at the same time aren't many fixed term contracts only for the school year with no summer pay? Schools can't even offer multiple year contracts for career breaks as teachers can only apply for 1 year at a time.

From previous posts from OP, I suspect it's lecturer as opposed to second level. Still strange sounding tho.

Advertisement