Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hate new job

Options
  • 08-07-2019 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all

Looking for some advice on my situation. I work in professional services I don’t want to give too much away as I don’t want to identify myself. I started a new job six weeks ago as it was a promotion in terms of title and salary. I loved my old company and however I was taking on management responsibilities for not more than a graduate salary and as I am living in Dublin I needed to earn more and there was no chance of getting an increase.

I was so happy when I secured my new role as I thought it would be a step up in my career and give me the chance to pick up on management responsibilities I was doing in my old role. However by an hour into my first day I had a horrible feeling I had made a mistake. To clarify in the industry I am in I have around 5 years experience. The role is so administrative it is doing tasks I was doing in my internship five years ago. The atmosphere in the office is awful, everyone is stressed out, there is no banter and I have found it to be a very blame culture. I also feel I was given no time at all to get settled in by my first day I was given a load of overdue paperwork and by day 2 being asked where it was with my only guideline an out of date manual. My manager is dismissive she shouts and hasn’t even had a meeting with me yet to introduce me or talk about the role.

The past few weeks have been stressful. I am working sometimes 10 hour days. The culture there is to suck up to management and take whatever is given to you in other words very old school. It came to breaking point last week when a member of management shouted at me over a very minor issue and threw papers I gave him aggressively on the table. I was completely shook and have never had to cope with this in the workplace and it was utter disrespect. To note I also suffer from depression I am taking medication but finding it increasingly hard to cope everyday. I mentioned it to my manager I was upset after the incident but she put it down to his personality which I don’t think is acceptable.

My main question is is it too soon to leave a job after 6 weeks? I’m afraid it will be looked at negatively on my cv. I do have longer service in other companies so it wouldn’t be a trend. I can’t up and leave as I don’t have enough savings. Also going to HR in this case is not an option. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Don't put it on your CV. Put down the gap as you spent 2 months travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Na get out of there. I wouldn't even put it on my CV, if the gap comes up just say you were travelling in Thailand :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

I do understand your issue, i have similar but the truth is most offices are like this,
    you're only in the door a wet day, i would give it 6 months minimum and then decide.
    The big D sucks i know the black dog only too well, but i also know running from things gives it more control over you.
    Good luck anyway whatever you decide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

Ask some of your family /friends for advice first. Maybe go back to your old job? Maybe apply for new jobs? Maybe go to the appropriate OR highest person you can get to in company and outline differences in there culture/system that is causing stress. Good luck OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I left a job after 2 weeks - I just knew from day one it wasn't for me.

I never put it on my cv and nobody ever queried the gap. It's quite common to take a break between jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Walk away, life's too short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Wow, I was in a very similar situation a few years ago. I managed to get my old job back. Any chance of this being possible? I didn't have depression but it still stressed the life out of me. I couldn't sleep. Can't imagine how awful it must be with depression.

If possible, go back to your previous job. It will mean no gap on your cv. I know - not good money and you'll owe it to them to stay put for a fair bit more, but - no stress or sh1tty treatment, making it worth it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Don't put it on your CV. Put down the gap as you spent 2 months travelling.
    Na get out of there. I wouldn't even put it on my CV, if the gap comes up just say you were travelling in Thailand :D

And when the interviewer asks you where you have been because they were there too and did you see x and what did you think of y???? You are going to say what exactly????

You can usually pull of an embellishment, it's expected, but if caught out on a blatant lie there is only on course of action - kick you to the kerb.

It's very easy explain a way a few months spent job seeking etc and a lot more credible that a total lapse of memory about a trip you have just done.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Mitzy

I ended up in a company I absolutely hated after taking redundancy a few years ago. It was the exact opposite to what I was used to. I stayed for 10 weeks.
    I found it was not an issue when I went for interviews as I simply explained that the role was not consistent with the one advertised. After that I just left it off my CV. A small gap can be easily explained by saying you took time out to travel.

If you are being treated like that when you are only in the door run for the hills. It's only going to get worse. The jobs market is booming so you won't have a problem getting something soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Pissartist wrote: »
    I do understand your issue, i have similar but the truth is most offices are like this,
    you're only in the door a wet day, i would give it 6 months minimum and then decide.
    The big D sucks i know the black dog only too well, but i also know running from things gives it more control over you.
    Good luck anyway whatever you decide

Absolutely not.

Huge warning flag was being given ACTUAL work on Day 1 and being chased for it on Day 2.

Day 1 is ALWAYS administrative tasks. ie getting you setup on all the systems, being introduced to the team, being brought up to speed on the current projects etc.

Being given overdue work to complete on day 1 screams that the place is a disaster and you should leave asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

6 weeks. You made a good go of it. See if you can return to your old job. But don't stay there and don't listen to anyone, HR or otherwise, that tell you the situation will improve and to give it another go. It's not good for your health.

It's not clear if you'll be expected to work a notice period. Hopefully money isn't an issue for you. Do your contract hours and not one bit more. If you feel stressed, just take sick days (they're probably not paid anyway).

If you have to deal with the guy who shouted at you, just hand him any ball of sh*te.. photocopy pages from your rubbish notes as backup, make corrections on printed documents using tippex and a biro, add comments using post-it notes, staple pages upsidedown and make sure the cover page has at least one coffee-ring stain. You don't have to do this.. just know that you can and there isn't a thing he can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Get the HELL out of there.

I too have been in the same situation. I stayed unfortunately, hated going into work and more and more work meant I was working 6 days a week for no extra pay.. I left and it was the happiest day of my career I have to say. The Bosses face said it all, my manager start shouting and when I said I was due two weeks holiday also, the whole atmosphere changed. I went back to see some of my work colleagues, they were all stressed out. Eventually, it took 5 people to do my job... it is only then that you learn how stupid you were to take on so much and get no appreciation for it.

Your mental health is FAR more important than any job, if you are not happy.. LEAVE... it makes no odds. As people have said, you were travelling... you wanted some self time before committing fully... there are a myriad of things you can put on a CV.. it just doesn't matter... you are more important than work.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You can sit there getting all worried and stressed about going into a workplace that you don’t like...in fairness it sounds like a disaster.

Or

You can leave the workplace and find a more reasonable work / life balance that will be in a more in tune with yours and fair expectations for employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

Have a chat with someone, friend, former colleague or whoever and figure out what your realistic options are.

I wouldn't worry about the six weeks bit in relation to your cv. It happens. What is most important now is to protect your health. I know you need an income, as do we all, so as others have suggested, maybe approach your former employer.

Above all else, mind yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Jim2007 wrote: »
    And when the interviewer asks you where you have been because they were there too and did you see x and what did you think of y???? You are going to say what exactly????

You can usually pull of an embellishment, it's expected, but if caught out on a blatant lie there is only on course of action - kick you to the kerb.

It's very easy explain a way a few months spent job seeking etc and a lot more credible that a total lapse of memory about a trip you have just done.

You've obviously never had to tell a white lie before. It's two months. In the frankly ridiculous scenario that a prospective employer goes into the minutiae of a trip abroad, I believe most people have the common sense to think on their feet to protect themselves.

It's totally equivalent to saying you were job seeking for 2 months, except looks much less desperate and doesn't put you on a back foot for salary negotiations.

I had a similar situation. Stayed for 1.5 years before eventually resigning without having another job lined up. Things worked out fine for me.

Wish I had of left after 6 weeks in hindsight.

Sad to read that so many experience this in 2019!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

OP, not liking a new job is perfectly normal and many new hires do not stay on past the first year for many reasons. In the US, I think the average 1 year retention rate is something like only 60%.

I myself wasn't liking a job after 6 weeks and knew it wasn't for me but decided to stick out for 6 months to see it it improved. It didn't. It took another 5 months to find something suitable, so the best part of a year of career progression was wasted.

My only bit of advice is that it's easier to find a job when you have a job though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Workissue wrote: »
    My main question is is it too soon to leave a job after 6 weeks?

From an employer's perspective I would have no issue with seeing that someone left a position after such a short period, as long as they were able to explain in a clear and logical way what happened. Sometimes things just do not work out the way that you had envisaged, both from the employer's and employee's perceptive. As long as it is an isolated occurrence on your CV I would not be concerned about it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

OP I'm in the same position as you at the moment I'm here 6 weeks now.
    I'm looking to cut my losses and leave and the current role won't be on my CV.
    I know from experience that this role won't work due to the personalities involved and how I expect to be treated.

I wouldn't sweat it , this type of thing happens a lot. Quite a lot of people land in a new role and find out quickly it's crap.

Advertisement