Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mangrove Jacks Craft Series - Pink Grapefruit IPA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

I actually just ordered this today. gonna go with some brew enhancer and some Maltodextrin to add body.
    Its gonna be a quick keg filler while waiting on a new control unite for my brewing system

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

stecleary wrote: »
    I actually just ordered this today. gonna go with some brew enhancer and some Maltodextrin to add body.
    Its gonna be a quick keg filler while waiting on a new control unite for my brewing system

Just brewed it and used some spray malt I had to hand instead of the specified Mangrove Jack's "brew enhancer" (which assume is just spray malt). Assume it'll be better than using dextrose anyway!

According to the kit it's 7 days of fermentation before the hops are to be added. Oxygenated the hell out of the wort before pitching which makes it pretty hard to get a hydrometer reading (my friend suggested just sterilising the hydrometer and leaving it in the wort rather than drawing some off to a measuring vessel).

I actually have a refractometer that I use for my aquarium but I think they use a different scale?

Sleepy wrote: »
    I actually have a refractometer that I use for my aquarium but I think they use a different scale?
    Yeah, totally different different scale. Sterilised a syringe and took a sample and it's off the scale on my refractometer. Got a better look at the hydrometer though and it's at about 135.

Seems to be a slow starter, there's a fine head of kreuzen on it but as of this morning there's still no sign of bubbling from the airlock (which as far as I can tell is tightly sealed).

Trying out our spare room for brewing and it seems to be keeping the beer at a fairly consistent 18 degrees (it's on the cool side of the house and I've the curtains closed to reduce solar gain).

knocked mine together today, i forgot how amazingly quick kits are. Hoping my extra sugars help with head and body, I changed the yeast out too, i have some workhorse yeast so used that instead, It loves slightly higher temps so have mine in the fermentation fridge at 23

• Advertisement

Looking into the FV, there's about 3 inches of kreuzen on top of my wort but I'm still not getting any bubbling from the airlock circa 84 hours after pitching the yeast (which I didn't rehydrate but am now thinking I should have?).

The room the FV is in is reading a constant 18 degrees, which I know is towards the lower end of ale yeast's temperatures but supposed to produce cleaner results. Wondering if I should raise the temp a little to get this moving?

Dont mind the airlock, if you have kreuzen you have fermentation, I'd bump the room up to 20 if you can once high kreuzen has passed .
    Mine took off light a light. It will be in a glass and all after 10 days i'd say :)

stecleary wrote: »
    Dont mind the airlock, if you have kreuzen you have fermentation, I'd bump the room up to 20 if you can once high kreuzen has passed .
    Mine took off light a light. It will be in a glass and all after 10 days i'd say :)
    Bumped it up to 20. I can see a layer of tub forming on the bottom of the FV and there looks to be about an inch of kreuzen on top so I'm beginning to wonder if there's just a poor seal on the FV lid? Pressing the lid gently does make the water in the airlock move though so I'd have thought not.

Am I just being impatient or should I be looking at pitching more yeast?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's fine. Leave it alone.

Yep, seems to just be a dodgy seal letting the C0s out or something. The hydrometer reading looked fine when I added the hops last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭EIREAROEIRE

Done this kit added hops day 11 bottled at 14 days after 4 weeks in bottle was at it's best unfortunately I didn't leave enough lol I drank it after 2 weeks

Had had a few of these over the weekend (6 weeks on from bottling) and it's fine but not nearly as hoppy (or grapefruity) as I'd have expected an Elvis Juice clone to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Sleepy wrote: »
    Had had a few of these over the weekend (6 weeks on from bottling) and it's fine but not nearly as hoppy (or grapefruity) as I'd have expected an Elvis Juice clone to be!

You would need to consult diy dog or some such to get proper hop rates for Elvia juice.

The hops here are a bit low I think

Advertisement