Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using parents house to get funds to buy own house

Options
13»

Comments

OP, my honest advice is take a breath, step away from this idea and have a think.

I really wouldn't recommend going down the road of getting your parents involved at all. You might be the bestest family in the whole wide world, but nothing breaks a family up quicker than money. Conventional risks aside, it's still far too risky in my opinion.

Get the deposit and hope for the best. Maybe they can help you drum up the deposit? They're still helping but if things go sideways you aren't in debt to them as much and it's much more forgiveable.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Amadan90

If their only child is killed and they then instantly become too sick to work (And have no income/mortgage protection policy) I doubt they will care much about the house, and anyway, it takes years and years of not paying a mortgage to be evicted, AND they would still have 150k equity in the house anyway so absolutely no reason for homelessness at any point.

Can we maybe not catastrophise so much?

This did escalate quickly, i went from asking about remortgaging a house, to me getting hit by a bus(dying) my parents getting sick and them becoming homeless.

OP, my honest advice is take a breath, step away from this idea and have a think.

I really wouldn't recommend going down the road of getting your parents involved at all. You might be the bestest family in the whole wide world, but nothing breaks a family up quicker than money. Conventional risks aside, it's still far too risky in my opinion.

Get the deposit and hope for the best. Maybe they can help you drum up the deposit? They're still helping but if things go sideways you aren't in debt to them as much and it's much more forgiveable.

i think i should sort the savings aspect out first, maybe that would help more and if the deposit is a big problem, then hopefully my parents can give me a little helping hand (but some seem to think it's disgusting to get help, i guess i'm still a child :rolleyes:)

Amadan90 wrote: »
    i think i should sort the savings aspect out first, maybe that would help more and if the deposit is a big problem, then hopefully my parents can give me a little helping hand (but some seem to think it's disgusting to get help, i guess i'm still a child :rolleyes:)

Well my personal opinion is not that it's "disgusting" or anything like that, but I wouldn't personally like to involve my parents in a scheme that could take a long time to sort out.

Getting a 20k loan off them, that you can chip away at over a few years means there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Wrapping them up in €100k of debt and a remortgage means you're gonna be paying it off for a long, long time and it's much more likely that the loan will complicate things such as death, illness, 'fair deal' scheme, etc. should any of those arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭scheister

this thread is an interesting read for people looking to buy.

Buying a house is the most expensive purchase most people make in their life and as such needs to be thought out considerable.

Questions need to be asked such as

Would the new house be your forever home
    How safe is your job
    What prospects do you have in your job.

Things you can do now to help your case

Step away from the online gambling
    Set up a savings account and pay a fixed amount into it each month

Plan ahead and see what savings you will have in x months and plan based on that but also remember the other expenses (legal fees,stamp duty, kitting out the house).
    Have a look around and see where you can save money.

I would look and think about all the above before i even look at gifts/loans from parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

Okay so.

If your parent's transfer the house to you, you can remortgage it to the tune of €100,000 as long as you fit the 3.5 times income criteria. The equity in the house will count for the "deposit" - you shouldn't need cash in the bank in order to draw down the mortgage.

Having said that, I'd imagine the bank will still want to see 12 months of regular savings (even if those savings don't add up to the 10% deposit) in order for you to pass their eligibility criteria. Different banks will have different criteria for this. It might be worth going to a broker to see what advice they could give you.

Don't worry about the Paddy Power bets, they don't mind that anymore. What they will look at is whether:
    a) You have any loans, including credit cards or overdrafts;
    b) Any unusual transactions, such as a large cash amount being deposited or withdrawn;
    c) Whether you run out of money at the end of each month.

Apart from the 3.5 times income criteria and the scan of your accounts, they'll look at affordability. Unfortunately, paying rent that would be more than your mortgage payment isn't enough. I suggest you do the following:

Go on to the myhome.ie website - they've got a useful mortgage calculator. You'd probably get a mortgage at the moment at an interest rate of around 2.8%. Banks stress test this mortgage payment by an additional 2% so put in 4.8% as the interest rate. Work out your monthly mortgage repayments over a 30 year term.

In addition to this mortgage repayment you must have €1500 per month in take home pay. This is standard across most of the banks I believe. The €1,500 can't include any fixed costs, such as loan repayments or childcare, so any payments such as those are in addition to the €1,500. If you have that, and the 3.5 times income, plus regular savings and a bit left over in your account each month, you should be okay.

As other posters have said, if your parents transfer the house into your name, that pretty much maxes out any tax free inheritance you can get. That may not bother you and to be honest you're probably better getting the "inheritance" now rather than 30 years in the future. It negates your parents eligibility for the Fair Deal scheme if they need a retirement home. That's a big risk. Discuss that openly with your parents.

I think you should go for a mortgage in your own right. Your parent's could release some equity in their house in order to help you with the deposit if they don't have the cash themselves, but banks will look to see that you have saved 30-50% of the deposit yourself. A parent gift can't make up the full deposit. So that brings it back to you saving over the next year or two. I know it's hard when a mortgage payment would probably be €500 less than rent but there are creative ways you can go about it. If you need €7,500 in savings could your parents release €15,000 value from their house? They could pay you €7,500 in a lump sum, and say €300 in cash each month. You use your cash for your everyday expenses (don't lodge it to your account!) and then transfer €300 of your take home pay to a savings account. It's be a pain for 12 months, but it might be worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Amadan90 wrote: »
    explain to me the sadistic part? are you referring to the stress a mortgage would have on them, or you mean sadistic for another reason?

Two reason.
    1. The fact that you are behaving like a child at your age.
    2. The prospect of losing their home as a result of indulging your folly.
    Look at what happened to Maire Cruise o Brien and Mary Yates.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Have you any siblings?

Dav010 wrote: »

At 29 you are old enough to stand by yourself without your parents help. If you aren’t able to get a mortgage for the home you want, wait, don’t ask your parents to take on your risk. They worked hard enough for long enough to not have to worry about paying again for the home they live in.

I don’t think this is a very fair statement. A large proportion of people wouldn’t be able to buy or would have much bigger mortgages without help from family, this whole “stand by yourself” stuff is all a bit silly really.

Most parents would insist on helping their children to buy if they can. Now it’s a little different here if they have to remortgage as in most cases parents have the cash to help their kids out so I think them going as guaranteur is a much better option and once the op can pay his mortgage it will never be an issue for them. I get the impression you are looking down on people in general who get help from parents though which I never understood.

Two reason.
    1. The fact that you are behaving like a child at your age.
    2. The prospect of losing their home as a result of indulging your folly.
    Look at what happened to Maire Cruise o Brien and Mary Yates.

Show me where I've been behaving like a child? If you want to say the question or idea is stupid then okay. This was the reason I asked the question, to get information, to know if it's good or bad, and was there other options instead of the normal way to get a mortgage.

How many children are on forums asking questions about mortgages?

From what I've learned from this post, it's clearly a bad idea.
    What could've possibly made me act like a child is if I asked this question and ignored anyone who gave me an answer I didn't want to hear.

You're entitled to your opinion but I strongly disagree with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,403 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I don’t think this is a very fair statement. A large proportion of people wouldn’t be able to buy or would have much bigger mortgages without help from family, this whole “stand by yourself” stuff is all a bit silly really.

Most parents would insist on helping their children to buy if they can. Now it’s a little different here if they have to remortgage as in most cases parents have the cash to help their kids out so I think them going as guaranteur is a much better option and once the op can pay his mortgage it will never be an issue for them. I get the impression you are looking down on people in general who get help from parents though which I never understood.

Acting as a guarantor over the period of a 25 year mortgage is even more risk for parents.

I do look down on people who ask their parents to take on a huge debt into their retirement, I think it is stressful for them an selfish on behalf of the offspring. If parents have the means to gift a deposit or €100k to their children, fair do’s, it’s a great thing to do. But saddling them with debt after a working lifetime to pay off their own mortgage, sorry, no, that’s not for me whether you think that is silly or not.

The responsible thing to do, is wait until you can afford it yourself, if you can’t afford it, then you shouldn’t be buying, that is what got us into the last crash, easy credit and unserviceable debt.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

The accommodation & property forum has particularly low ceilings. For your own comfort & safety, please get off your high horse before posting.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,403 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Graham wrote: »
    Mod Note

The accommodation & property forum has particularly low ceilings. For your own comfort & safety, please get off your high horse before posting.

Thanks

It has a low ceiling for many things.

Advertisement