Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kids throwing stones at cyclists

Options
  • 08-07-2019 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

anybody having issues with kids throwing pebbles stones over the last week or so around 5pm on the grand canal near the 7th lock!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Aaaah, the annual grand canal thread :) Sunny weather brings the scum out, expect muggings etc.. to increase again

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

Sadly this topic pops up every year around this time. I avoid that section of the canal in the evenings for that very reason. Though I've been hit with far bigger than stones. First few weeks of school holidays are when it is at its peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Dole kids with nothing to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭thebourke

got hit twice over the last 2 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,378 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Seems to be ok from Park West back towards Ballyfermot, there was a bunch of kids near Ballyfermot yesterday but they weren't bothering anyone

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

It was last year when they done this to me and my friend.
    One of the stones that flew over us was fist size, my friend got hit by the smaller one.
    We rang Garda and waited patiently for over 45 minutes watching kids from the distance.
    They never showed up. Not much you can do

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

I think the term "anti-social behavior" has lessened and diminished the impact of this sort of assault, as if it was a "normal" thing for kids to do. As with anything, it'll take someone getting cracked in the head with a brick for any attention to be paid.

When calling the Garda, do you tell them you've been assaulted? I think saying "some kids threw a rock at me" isn't going to get the desired effect. Being clear about saying "I was assaulted" - which is exactly what this is - may be more effective in getting the point across.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

I think the term "anti-social behavior" has lessened and diminished the impact of this sort of assault, as if it was a "normal" thing for kids to do. As with anything, it'll take someone getting cracked in the head with a brick for any attention to be paid.

When calling the Garda, do you tell them you've been assaulted? I think saying "some kids threw a rock at me" isn't going to get the desired effect. Being clear about saying "I was assaulted" - which is exactly what this is - may be more effective in getting the point across.

When a friend of mine was mugged along there, the Guards came very quickly, apparently because they misheard him on the phone and thought a knife was involved. The original lads were gone by then but they picked up some others passing by with stolen goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

^^That's the solution there. Tell the guards there's some Juves with a knife throwing rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Daroxtar wrote: »
    ^^That's the solution there. Tell the guards there's some Juves with a knife throwing rocks.

Throwing throwing knives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

don't give them ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Daroxtar wrote: »

Tell them not to rush as you've brought your favourite axe, and you've got one of them cornered!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 J11

Them kids are always at it. Had a rock/mud graze my face before when I was cycling home from a place I used to work in the IFSC. Absolute scum of the earth. It's only when I stopped did he **** himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 J11

They target people coming home in the evening time, so if you work in the IFSC area watch out for kids on the right where the embankment is. It's absolutely shameless and the parents should be reprimanded.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

J11 wrote: »
    It's absolutely shameless and the parents should be beheaded and their heads put on spikes on the city walls as a warning to others

FYP :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Another good reason to wear a helmet folks

( I'll see myself out, cheers)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Another good reason to wear a helmet folks

( I'll see myself out, cheers)

Would need to be a full face helmet; kids managed to hit my ear with a stone. Called the guards but never heard from them again, I wasn't the first person to call that day. Stopped using the canal a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

nak wrote: »
    Would need to be a full face helmet; kids managed to hit my ear with a stone. Called the guards but never heard from them again, I wasn't the first person to call that day. Stopped using the canal a couple of years ago.

I thought you were lining up for a joke... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Peter T wrote: »
    I thought you were lining up for a joke... :pac:

Sadly not, hearing intact but the little sh***s cut my ear. Doubt they would have thrown stones at a woman walking along the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Where's the seventh lock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Where's the seventh lock?

Between the sixth and eight locks :p (sorry)

It's beside the Kileen Road, roughly between Ballyfermot and the Longmile road area - prime area for the kind of issues mentioned above.

I dropped a car to a place in north Kildare the other day, taking my bike from the boot to ride home, and Google maps suggested I cycle along the canal, back into Dublin city centre - I decided against it after reading the earlier threads on it here, and detoured from Peamount Hospital, through Tallaght, Firhouse, Rathfarnham and into town that way - extra 10km, but more peace of mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,315 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

In fairness, what are the Guards going to do?

There is very little ways for them to either investigate or tackle this type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sadly not, hearing intact but the little sh***s cut my ear. Doubt they would have thrown stones at a woman walking along the canal.

Yes they would. Witnessed a female cyclist suffer their inaccurate barrage last summer holidays.

As minors the legal system is powerless. I really hope they pick on the wrong bloke (Krav maga, boxer, whatever) and get a hiding. Only thing that'll learn em.

Tony EH wrote: »
    In fairness, what are the Guards going to do?

There is very little ways for them to either investigate or tackle this type of thing.

That's not a valid reason to do nothing; and it's not the victims' responsibility to arrive at a solution, though the Garda "engaging with people in the community" (i.e., contacting parents in the area) would be a good start.

That's not a valid reason to do nothing; and it's not the victims' responsibility to arrive at a solution, though the Garda "engaging with people in the community" (i.e., contacting parents in the area) would be a good start.

You'd only get parents accusing the Gardai of harassment then. It simply wouldn't work and might even spur on more little shits to do the same thing.

Plus they don't have the manpower to go around every scumhole knocking doors "engaging".

Tony EH wrote: »
    You'd only get parents accusing the Gardai of harassment then. It simply wouldn't work and might even spur on more little shits to do the same thing.

Plus they don't have the manpower to go around every scumhole knocking doors "engaging".

... and that's why there are areas in Dublin that cyclists are rightly avoiding.

Good luck getting more people onto bikes, reducing the number of cars in the city, and so on.

... and that's why there are areas in Dublin that cyclists are rightly avoiding.

I'm sure there is.

In saying that, I've never experienced any stone throwing myself.

Cue: Famous last words.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Got a brick thrown at me by some little 10 year old about two years ago at the Ballyfermot gate. Two of them smashing bottles then one threw the brick, fortunately hit the back wheel and not me. If it wasn't for the 5 or so teenagers hanging out nearby I would have knocked the ****e out of him. Called the Ballyfermot Garda station and the woman on the phone thought I was talking about Ninth Lock...

Passed the odd dodgy character at night between Ninth Lock and the Grange Castle gate, and having to stop and go through a gate that had 4-5 lads literally sitting on it didn't help, but surprisingly never had trouble apart from the brick.

Biggest issue is fcking dog walkers having the lead stretched out across the whole path or no lead at all. There's CLEARLY cyclists around.

I tend to avoid it now unless it's during school hours as there seems to be more people walking along these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I saw the IFSC Lidl wetsuit kids repeatedly throwing footballs in front of cyclists in the bike lane there a couple of weeks ago, one girl came off but wasn’t hurt. Is there any other city in Europe where you’d have this carry on in the city centre? Put them in sink estates outside the M50 and build high rise apartments for normal people in the inner city social housing areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Is that here? Kylemore Road? And are the locks numbered, is there some way you can see which is which?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Killeen+Rd,+Dublin/Long+Mile+Rd,+Dublin/@53.3313513,-6.3499959,303m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x48670cbf5781abdf:0xf2f9854bcc0bce3f!2m2!1d-6.3589372!2d53.329457!1m5!1m1!1s0x48670c96ca792d6b:0xb2fb75919ff77bcb!2m2!1d-6.3403586!2d53.3237501!3e2

I wouldn't myself blame the lack of garda enforcement so much as the withdrawal of funds for summer projects; bored kids get up to mischief. If these kids were in summer projects, going camping in the mountains, playing organised games - even cycling and learning to take bikes apart and fix them - they wouldn't be at this nonsense.

Advertisement